The West Coast is dead because.....

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by R-Tistic, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

To everyone here who is a supporter, hater, or has no strong opinion about the west coast.....drop reasons to why you feel the west is dead and has no mainstream presense right now, aside from the veterans.

Try to keep it serious...I already know some cats will come and say "the west is dead because they suck, they have no talent at all" etc. etc.....but I want to see what people outside the west, and from the west, really feel about what's goin on....mainly speakin for the Bay, L.A., and even the major cities from the west coast that have never got play such as Seattle, Vegas, Phoenix.
    test
  2. fcuk

fcuk New Member

because pac is dead..why else?
    test
  3. R-Tistic

LMAO...I already did a whole thread explaining why that's NOT the reason the west is dead. That was ten damn years ago....if that's the case, why has the East still remained successful, when they lost Biggie plus numerous other rappers and figures?

That's for another thread...but that is probably 30-40% of the reason at the most....if that...
    test
  4. L.R.G

L.R.G Lookin Real Good

the west is dead because their not making music that has brought them back in the eyes of the founders of hip hop: east coast
    test
  5. L.R.G

L.R.G Lookin Real Good

regardless of the fact that many people feel they suck at this point in their hip hop developmental stage
    test
  6. SuB zer0

SuB zer0 A.D.R.I.A.N.N.A

nigga please like all hip hop has to be approved by the east

the south dragged you niggas

kickin and screamin outta the top spot

yall wasnt fuckin with them at first

yall dont really fuck with em now
    test
  7. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

If I'm not mistaken the east has way more depth than the west in lyrics and so in quality artist.

Someone made a thread a while ago nnming the top 50 artist on the east coast, someone try to match the list with west coast artist and it took like 3-4 people to do so. Not to mention there's was a good 20 people on that list which weren't nationally recognized names, 10 or more were a reach and about 20 artist were recognizable to the average hip hop head.
    test
  8. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

They don't have that one new rapper or crew that can put the West on their back

For Example they have the vets still dropping heat such as Suga Free, Too Short, e-40, Tha Dogg Pound, Ice Cube, Mack 10 but those rappers are all old...Game came out and I was hearing a lot of hate comin from the West Coast but he was their greatest hope but now they will probably need someone else to come through and be a force. They need someone with mainstream appeal and that is tight with his shit and isn't hated as much as GAME. When they were really a force they had Snoop at the top of the totem pole and then everybody followed his lead...Dr. Dre, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, Daz, Eastsidaz, Lady of Rage etc. etc.

They need a chip on their shoulder...the Hyphy movement is a start but they don't have the one young rapper to get it poppin it's still Too Short & E-40 at the front. Keak Da Sneak does not cut it and neither does anyone in Too Short's Up All Nite Crew. Up to this point, I haven't heard a west coast rapper that's capable of doin it. So one of those OG's needs to go find a rapper that's capable

When the New South (after No Limit & Cash Money era) started to blow up you had young niggaz at the front like Killer Mike, T.I., Bonecrusher, David Banner, Bubba Sparxxx, Pastor Troy, Lil Jon, Petey Pablo, Juvenile and some other niggaz and then you had the older cats (such as Too Short, Pharell, Outkast, Timbaland etc. etc.) backing them giving them credibility. Then T.I. , David Banner, and Lil Jon put the south on their back and now we off and running again.

Once the west finds that one guy they'll be fine
    test
  9. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

the west is only dead in the mainstream

from what i know yal are puttin out music in ur own area

and i think its mainsteam-dead cuz most west artists hasnt stepped their game up to change with the game, theyre stuck basically

game is from the west, an he might bring it back to an extent

u need a mothafucka from the west to spit that gangsta shit and make a club banger

iono man its only dead cuz most of the mainstream peoples aint feelin ur music
    test
  10. R-Tistic

I agree only to an extent....for one, the East has the whole state of Jersey, Philly, and NYC that have been major factors in the game, to where the west only has L.A. and the Bay bein major factors. As far as quality artists, we all know that doesn't mean much of anything as far as bein big in the rap game, but it does have a lot to do with who stays around long term.

One thing about it is NY is the creator, which means that they can basically push rappers from different phases who have COMPLETELY different styles based on the era...how many "eras" have y'all had, 7, 8, 10??? For the west, the ONLY rappers, and I mean the ONLY rappers that have been factors in our history all had the same overall style or subject matter, aside from Too Short and E-40...but for L.A., how many big rappers didn't come from the same original camp and share that same style? We never had the chance to put out anything but gangsta-related rappers, while the east has had everything from the battle rappers, political conscious rappers, "female-audience" based rappers, laid back thug rappers (50, G-Unit, D-Block), hyped up psychotic rappers, and many other things. So if you get what I am sayin...it is rare that a west coast artist can really break that ground.

Being in L.A., I'd say that there aren't that many young rappers I'm impressed by.....it's 4-5 who I think are pretty good, but none of em stand out at that level at all. At the same time.....L.A. and NY are COMPLETELY different cities, and the east and west are so much different, that a dope rapper to us may not have any appeal to y'all. With that, it is definitely harder for an L.A. rapper to break ground, especially in this era, who doesn't sound east coast, because many of y'all don't like hearin L.A. rappers period, even if they are dope.
    test
  11. R-Tistic

For one...we don't need to put all our eggs in one basket by having that one main dude to carry us, and that's for several reasons...that dude was supposed to be Game, but for 100s of reasons that could have been forseen, that didn't work for us.

Everybody in L.A. has that crab mentality....ESPECIALLY rappers and gangbangers. Rappers are hella jealous of ANY, and I mean ANY rapper that has a chance to actually blow up and get big, and they do ANYHING in their power to stop them from blowin up and being successful...unless they know them or have a track with them. Y'all have no fuckin idea how many people in L.A. hated on Game, when the root cause was that it wasn't them who was blowing up. As far as street cred goes, L.A. cats are soooooooooo quick to pull your card and call you fake, regardless of how true it is. I know the facts, and no Game wasn't out there in the streets like that...but so the fuck what??? Why air out our dirty laundry so that the nation can say "damn...ALL y'all had was Game, and he's a fake" ??? That's just the ignorant mentality of L.A. cats.

I definitely agree about how the south came in....but they had many advantages as well. We only have two major areas puttin out music, with Daygo and sacramento basically fallin under us, and the other states being non-existant. The south has Texas, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Virginia, and a few other spots that have made a MAJOR impact and had the chance to put out a grip of artist....and with that, they all had a similar overall style, but individually, everybody had their own vibe and sound.

Along with that, cats in the south all work together, even though many do seem to feud. One thing I hate is that Bay cats think L.A. hates on them, and that our artists never wanted to work with them in the past...but they don't realize that within L.A., people definitely weren't workin with people outside their own camps or cities. Snoop n cube didn't even hook up til what, 99??? And they were the biggest cats on the west in the 90's.
    test
  12. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

the west is dead because 95% of the rappers suck dick even the veterans

kurupt is trash, daz is trash, snoop is trash, e40 is god awful, too short is wack

its nothing to do with blackballing or anything, its just about music quality, games record was decent and got alot of love even though it sounded like a wack watered down eastcoast album with a nigga with no charisma or flow mentioning 30+ names a track
    test
  13. .SOBE.

.SOBE. hell no

for one.. we haven't had anybody NEW lately.. 2nd, all I see is people playin some south shit cuz that's what's hot right now to them.. radio down here barely gives westcoast artists any attention.. I don't think it's that we don't have as MANY artists.. its just that not enough of them have been givin exposure like they should
    test
  14. R-Tistic

So I'll ask you this....I would assume that you felt the west did have some rappers who didn't "suck dick" in the 90's, correct? If so....do you feel that the west coast artists just couldn't keep up as a coast, or as if the atmosphere or somethin on the west makes them inferior? Or do you even feel that it is possible that there are dope but unheard rappers on the west that you may not be familiar with?

And where are you from? It seems like you have a strong bias for whoever you like most, even if it's not somethin you realize. I have a feeling that you're the type that I could play somebody impressive as hell for, and you'd still say "I mean...nah he's not any good either" and point out any random reason to why he's trash to you.
    test
  15. R-Tistic

That's part of it...I mean the Bay is crackin as hell for what they are doin, but I can already see many people dividin up there with the "hyphy vs. old mob shit", and many artists are kinda forced to choose a style to fit in. And their scene is still very localized.

For L.A....I think it's a combination of a grip of things. From what I see, everybody young sounds like they are straight from NY, and a few sound southern...and everybody older sounds like they are stuck in the 90's. That goes for everybody from those who are signed to lightweight major deals, to those on independent labels, to those pushin their mixtapes and performin here n there, to those who are just tryin to get a deal and do demos.....we don't have our own sound anymore, musicwise or rap wise. Most of our best young rappers just sound like poor man's east coast rappers to me.

The west does have a strong underground scene, but it'll be hard for that to transition to mainstream ears. As for Murs, I just hope that he can still keep his true fanbase, as well as build to it, as he expands and works with more West Coast "commercial" producers like Fred Wreck and Jelly Roll...because I can already see some people in his crowd sayin he sold out, even if he's talkin about the exact same things as he's sayin on his other albums. With him, the mainstream would accept him if he comes at the perfect angle with not bein outta his character and showin his personality, similar to how Lupe and Kanye did.
    test
  16. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

THAT right there is the problem my friend...outside can't destroy you because you destroy yourselves. There's no way you can make a stand if yall are so divided out there. Yall need to stop that pettiness and jealousy especially over that bullshit. In Atlanta, everybody knows Ludacris is from Chicago or some shit but instead of hatin..we celebrate that he loves his new home and say keep the music comin.

Instead of those niggaz hatin they need to jump on the ship...then later on down the road when whoever blows up..they can branch off

The south does have its share of petty arguments (T.I. vs. Lil Flip, or Pastor Troy vs. Lil Jon etc etc.) but it doesn't stop the music from being put out. Like T.I. & Troy could do a track but Lil Jon would still produce for T.I. cause he sees the bigger picture...just an example by the way.
    test
  17. R-Tistic

Yeah Atl is waaaay more united than L.A. I do think it was worst in the 90's where cats crews would beef with entire crews, and nobody within would get along, but at least we've moved past that. Nowadays, it's usually the cats who are signed and somewhat famous that hate and beef all the time, and the consumers and everybody else in L.A. usually seem to take sides and take shit personal.

But damn, NY goes through the same thing, if not worst, than L.A. from how I have been seein it. Everybody there wants to be the damn king of NY, and they could NEVER do a video with every major NY rapper or artist in the game. I think that is more realistic for L.A., even with the couple of beefs that do go on.

Another major reason L.A. is dead is because L.A. has NO, and I mean NOOOOOOOOO pride in L.A. rap or culture whatsoever....no swag, no cockiness, no bias for our music, which can be good on the outside but sucks for us. The Bay is a lot more overzealous and biased for their own music, which is annoying as hell sometimes, but it shows how much pride they have, and that's why they are makin so much noise.

People outside of L.A. don't know it, but 75% of the people 23 and under seem to feel as if L.A. rap is inferior, and most rappers feel as if they are all the damn savior and they are better than the rest. I have homeboys who rap and made a lil noise, and one of them constantly says shit about how L.A. rappers suck, he's better than almost all, and worst of all.....he says "I don't consider myself as a west coast artist, I see myself as a universal artist" which really proves he has NO pride in L.A., and just falls into the stereotype that the rap game has put against us. You'll NEVER hear a NY cat say "I'm not a New York rapper, I'm a nationwide/worldwide rapper" as far as their personal definition..they'd only say it in a way sayin they are big nationwide/worldwide.
    test
  18. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

[​IMG]

Cali iz active..
    test
  19. all KillaH

all KillaH New Member

the 90's were the 90's rap was simple so artists who were simple (snoop dogg) got alot of love, but he fell the fuck off when rappers started realizing you have more than nursery rhymes to a beat to be considered a good lyricist

i didn't say all the artists were garbage, but ALOT of them are, i listen to Planet Asia, Ras Kass, & Crooked I on a regular basis, i've heard alot of west coast music and yes most of them are terrible
    test
  20. R-Tistic

I think it has a lot to do with what people feel makes a rapper dope and all else. West coat rappers tend to focus on flow and delivery, as well as personality, a lot more than the complex lyrics and all that makes a "good lyricist", so many people outside the west don't see them as being any good. Snoop was been simple forever, but he got love because his flow was so far ahead of the game, and his flow still carries songs that many "lyricists" can't do.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.