[The Unofficial Top 25 Moments of World Domination] - 22. THE BURROUGHS BAR

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by Swagger Vance, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swagger Vance

Swagger Vance New Member

25. SOUL KHAN GETS THE SPIRIT
    24. THE RETURN OF JAZE JUCE
    23. CLASSICS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN
    22. THE BURROUGHS BAR

[​IMG]

[youtube]/kkVHaNZVtP8[/youtube]

World Domination 2 brought to viewers the inclusion of some of FlipTop's main stage battlers, including the debut of Protege. Fans were skeptical that Pro would be able to hang against one half of the KOTD 2011 2X2 Grand Prix Championship Team, Diaz. Needless to say, Protege didn't just exceed expectations, he smashed them out of the park with bars on top of bars. And sophisticated bars, at that. In what some consider to be the breakout performance of the event (contested strongly by fellow international battler Nils M Skils), Protege flowed effortlessly through a range of topics, including pop culture of all types. The culmination, however, was a bar referencing author William S. Burroughs, in which Protege explained to Diaz that he would murder his family without question, a call back to the author who had been charged with the murder of his wife. The bar didn't get a crazy reaction at the venue, but it developed a cult following after the footage dropped. Anyone looking for validation on how serious Protege's bars were, look no further than Soul Khan's reactions behind him throughout the battle.
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. RollWithEm

RollWithEm G.O.A.T.

That was a quality bar.
    test
  3. CodeGray219

CodeGray219 Misunderstood Battle Nerd

there are a few things I sincerely hope to see on this list... idk if it would ruin it to talk about them... but these have been really cool so far!!
    test
  4. Ribo Nuke

Ribo Nuke Audiodidact

William s Burroughs killed his wife by trying to shoot something that was placed on top of her head as a target. I can't remember what it was but I just read his book Junky and it talked about in the afterword. They called it a drunken accident but it sounds suspicious as all hell.
    test
  5. Contra Diction

Contra Diction Well-Known Member

these threads are so wack. how you gonna do a top 25 moments after only 2 world dominations?
    test
  6. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

vid just made me miss bishop nh & that cult following must be pretty small
    test
  7. WallaceBread

WallaceBread John Gunbar

That bar has a cult following?
    test
  8. iAmAchilles

iAmAchilles disrespectful nigguh

khan didnt understand that bar, he was just tryna seem smart per usual
    test
  9. DestroNY

DestroNY Teem Weed

Funny story about this scheme...

I only knew a little bit about Burroughs coming into this battle. After seeing the reaction this particular reference got from the select few who caught it, I needed to find out more about it. I ended up reading up about Burroughs' entire life, a bunch of info on the Beat movement, and checked some excerpts from Junkie. I even read about Herbert Huncke- an addict, hustler and proud hobo who lived for years jumping from train to train traveling cross country, eventually ending up in Manhattan and taking up "residence" there. Huncke served as a guide into street life for the Harvard graduate Burroughs, as he needed a way to score drugs such as amphetamines & weed. There was just so many interesting/crazy things Burroughs & his circle were involved in, for example writer/friend Lucien Carr killing David Kammerer (an older gay man who was a teacher of Carr's at a private school) when Kammerer's interest in the young boy reached stalker-levels and (according to Carr) Kammerer got physical after Carr denied a sexual advance, leading to Carr stabbing him to death. But more than just crazy street life, Burroughs was heavily influential/intertwined in pop culture- from Burroughs's face appearing on the covers of a Beatles album, to having his vocals on musical tracks with the likes of Frank Zappa to REM, and being cited directly as an influence on a wide array of musicians from Nirvana's front man Kurt Cobain to Pink Floyd's Roger Waters.

And all of this info came from me looking into the meaning of some battle rap lyrics, lol.
    test
  10. zonal000

zonal000 Well-Known Member

It was a drinking glass. It happened at a party so there were people who witnessed it. She put a glass on top of her head and said "it's time to do our William Tell routine" (William Tell is the guy from European folklore who shot through an arrow on top of his son's head) and Burroughs shot her in the head.

It was definitely suspicious. It happened in Mexico City and Burroughs left the country while awaiting trial and even though he was absent from court they convicted him of manslaughter.
    test
  11. __LDO__

__LDO__ New Member

Protege had so many good lines in that battle, Pacquiao, intelligent skillset, Spanish wraps etc.
    test
  12. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

Shoutout to me and dlor bein the only ones in the background that reacted to that line. Gr8 line btw
    test
  13. Tecknowledgist

Tecknowledgist 7-CYPHER-NICKEL

a very special shoutout to everyone who didn't read this
    test
  14. StupidityCypher

StupidityCypher Member

wyh my shiet no get dis viwws?!
    test
  15. DeathRowe

DeathRowe New Member

Didn't get this bar; didn't bother to do research because of the lack of reaction, and I never saw Soul khan in the background. But now...Damn

:jaydamn:
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.