The Underachievers

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Who's heard of them? They're a new group of NYC... I just found out about them this past weekend, but they've been around since early spring of this year. It looks like New York is back... ie., Action Bronson, A$AP Rocky, Joey BadA$$, Flatbush Zombies, Tylahvell$$, Troy Ave, and now The Underachievers. I downloaded their mixtape, Indigoism, but I haven't listened to it yet... however, check out this single and tell me what you think. One

• Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

You didn't mention Bronsolino man wtf lol

Haven't checked this dudes although I heard of them, Imma wait here and see if somebody says they're worth the listen.
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Word... I keep forgettin' him... it's because every time I think about him, I think Ghostface... lol... I still fuck wit his shit, though.
    test
  4. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

*Fixed
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

test
  6. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

New York Rosta pretty deep right now
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Yeah, they steppin' up to the plate... but I think regionalism is dead in hip hop, though... with all this cross-pollination going on and world-wide collabarations and influences, there are no distinct regional sounds or identities anymore.
    test
  8. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Never heard of them til now..props. Like their shit. NY the birthplace word I'm always down to support new NY talent.
    test
  9. ronnie enclade

ronnie enclade Member

new york got a shitty roster imo outside skyzoo and action bronson
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Beast Coast, my dude... these new cats need to get together and do a "Beasts of the East Pt. 2" track... lol
    test
  11. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Why? Because Big Pun is no longer here?
    test
  12. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Fake Mak doin the troll god's work
    test
  13. ronnie enclade

ronnie enclade Member

not even lol is just most of these of these cats aren't lyrical outside action sykzoo.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  14. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

Roc Marcy is the best out of New York

test
  15. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

I think NY artists will always have glimpses of the NY flavor in their music/art..

Whether it be style, sound, or subject matter...You can take the person out the neighborhood, but can't take the neighborhood out the person..

So whether I'm listening to A$AP Rocky or French or Joey or Action or Dipset I always catch a lil NY in there regardless..

But you're right...NY emcees don't hold on to that NY title/identity anymore,,,but some of these underground inspired heads like Pro Era attempt too..mite get lost in all the cross-pollination like you said
    test
  16. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Roc Marciano is nice too
    test
  17. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

I need to peep the new Roc album tho.
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

This is okay... I think Joey Bada$$ is better... my favorite out of Flipmode Squad other than Busta and Rah Digga was probably Baby Sham, because of his vocal presence... Roc Marciano can kill it when he wants to, though.
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

A$AP Rocky is so "southern," though... lol... and he stay biggin' up Pimp C, which is cool... I like him, but I think he has way more southern influence than New York influence.

The first NY cat to really start bending his style towards other regions was Biggie, I think... so he sorta set that trend... then Jay Z went there on Vol. 2 with "Can I Get a..."... now, everybody's doing it... 50 was very popular in the south for that reason... but you had other artists before them who had East Coast rhyming styles, too, like Souls of Mischief, Ras Kass, Saafir, Pharcyde... I remember when Little Brother came out, Phonte sounded exactly like Prodigy of Mobb Deep.

I like the retro rappers like Joey Bada$$, because he's got that old school heart, so it's coming full circle.
    test
  20. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

I checked one song from them now and naw, I expected something more original, naw.
    test