The thing that was lost in the controversy of the decision

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by SeeSon, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

wtf? If they are outpointing, they are out boxing....

lol @ comparing good boxing to lay and pray

smfh.....

i love a good techincal match...sure Knockouts are fun, but i actually enjoy boxers who have skill rather than just power
    test
  2. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Ok, we agree here. But I was specifically noting the Rua Machida match, and none others. I said this is the perfect example of why MMA can be just as much of a sweet science, not why MMA is as much of a sweet science.

I don't think we're there yet, but like you said, with a few rule tweaks and some more progression, it can achieve that end.

I think you just misinterpreted what I said, lol, because I completely agree with pretty much everything you said...
    test
  3. Fag Sabbitch

Fag Sabbitch Closet hetero

The guy being outpointed is in a disadvantageous position.

Besides, the two are comparable because in boxing, just like lay n pray, the fighter should aim to finish opponents rather than stick and move every round.

The main point though was that both are incredibly boring.
    test
  4. Fag Sabbitch

If they are laying and praying, they are outgrappling.

lol @ not realizing lay and pray is effective wrestling just like stick and move is effective boxing.

See? there's zero difference. zero.
    test
  5. Fag Sabbitch

You kinda miss the point over splitting hairs, though, Yes, you're right on a lot of levels. But what you said essentially was that boxing is a sweet science because of the variables involved. MMA is the same, but there are more variables so you'll rarely see two evenly matched opponents. Takedowns aren't easy, it's just that guys that have wrestled for years make them look like that. You have to fuck with the focus of your opponent, close the distance, and explode into a shoot.

Shit, look at the randleman-cro cop knockout. It was a fake shoot that made cro cop drop his defense enough to get ktfo'd. And this is one-dimensional randleman we're talking about. Seems pretty sweet to me.

As for the evenly matched remarks, it's really rare to see a boxing match between two evenly matched guys. It's almost always one guy dominating the other from the get go. Let's face it... in boxing, a lot of times it's a person's speed, agility, and power that make the difference rather than pure technique.

You can't really call MMA less of a sweet science simply because there are more variables, and thus, less kings of all trades. If anything, it makes boxing checkers and mma chess.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.