[-THE RSTL MAGAZINE-] (Week 3)

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Quriosity, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

[​IMG]

RSTL MAGAZINE

[- INTRODUCTION -]

I was enormously disappointed in the league this week. The lack of motivation and participation that some of you have shown this past week nearly led me to believe that my, or ours rather, efforts have gone unnoticed. Jook, as well as I, worked very hard to bring this league back, and will work very hard to insure that it stays alive. We have kept matches, magazines, and all other things interesting and precise, and we expect our participants to do the same. Please show up for your battles on time and please vote on the other battles that have been posted. That being said, I do not see another league wide extension in our foreseeable future. So please make time to prepare a verse, or otherwise, please sign out ahead of time. I do understand that things happen, and will continue to happen, and therefore we will continue to have no shows. But please make an effort to show up or the morale of this league will continue to decrease, along with its lifespan.

[- HERB OF THE WEEK -]

Some people take constructive criticism negatively, such as Got Life?, and revert to name calling and weighing accomplishments outside of the internet in an attempt to prove their worth.

Others take constructive criticism for what it is, such as LokStok, with the intent to improve their works as a direct result of this new found knowledge. They work hard to raise their personal levels of skill in order to meet the criteria and standards of others, even when they do not understand the basis of these very same standards in which they strive for.

And then there is RYDOGG.

In his opening statement, versus a competitor by the name of Trybz, RYDOGG posted a watered down, raunchy, and mechanically retarded story about a good fuck who ends up pregnant and demanding child support. His verse was filled with curse words, bad uses of language, and childish similes. It was bluntly nothing more than a terrible verse.

Granted he is a newcomer, and is therefore allowed time for growth.

However, this past week, RYDOGG chose to ignore the voter’s opinions in his previous match up, and decided to construct yet another piece depicting his violent outlook on women. Along with the same choppy flow and mechanics, he delivers to the audience the same exact underlying story, except now he offers a new, exciting, and completely unpredictable twist to the brilliant plot: he kills the gold digger. Wow. What a magnificent story (and btw, I speak sarcasm fluently).

RYDOGG, I hope that you read this and consider thinking of another plot for this week to redeem your intelligence. I think that it is fair to say that you have had woman/marital problems in the past and that the RSTL has been a place for you to vent. Either that or you’re a prepubescent teenager who watches too many ghetto love stories and spends his nights listening to 50 Cent and Eminem degrade woman in his iPod. Either or, you need a new angle or you will never see a number in that win column of yours.

[- THIS WEEK'S REVIEWS -]

RYDOGG vs. Twixin..

RYDOGG posted another depiction of gold digging women/baby mama drama where in the end he kills her to relieve himself of a marriage that lasted barely half a week. As the plot thickens, so does his head. The story was lame, the language was obscene and obnoxious, the twist was predictable, corny, and poorly executed, the flow was choppy, and above all, the verse was wack. Better luck next time, homeslice.
    [​IMG]

Twixin.., your verse was unsurprisingly better than RYDOGG’s, although it still misfired into many directions. It just didn’t do it for me. The flow was off and on like a pregnant woman’s mood. It just never seemed consistent. Also, I felt that you could have done much more with the picture. You could have fed off the quote on the picture, which read “I Can Never Be the One”, yet you never even touched on the subject. While reading, I ended up getting lost in the short bars and simple rhymes. It never held my attention for a second. The story was uninteresting and has been overused in the past few weeks. The uplifting approach just held no weight here. Mechanically however, you were far better than the opposition and you definitely deserved the win. Overall, this was a decent verse.
    [​IMG]

Twixin.. advances.

SacriFICE vs. Ribo Nuke
    SacriFICE, you delivered a well written piece with a somewhat consistent flow and a good command of the English language. All in all, this was a solid drop. However, I can not comprehend the popularity of this uplifting, save the world, stand up and make a change speech type verses that seem to be the norm. With that said, you still executed the theme well. Your flow had room for improvement in some parts, and the actual story was not my favorite. Also, the ending or closer just seemed too cliché. As a matter of fact, the whole verse just seemed too cliché for my tastes. Nevertheless, good drop FICE.
    [​IMG]

Ribo Nuke, you also delivered a very well written piece with more of a consistent flow and a much better, and much more enjoyable story. It was somewhat original, and very well executed. The ending was rather predictable as I read it, I felt that it could have been stronger and maybe you just tried to finish it quickly. But nevertheless, the better verse strikes again.
    [​IMG]

Ribo Nuke advances.
    __________________________________________​
    test
  2. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

Cane vs. LokStok vs. Trybz

Cane, decent spit homie. The story was creative, as well as the way you conveyed your story. However, I felt the story could have been better. It was uninteresting for the most part, nothing ever really happened and no real secrets were revealed other than there is a higher power, which most humans have already assumed. Also, the flow was good enough for an easy read throughout, but it did fail in a few places. Overall, I’d say it was a decent spit.
    [​IMG]

LokStok, another decent spit. This could have been much better. Your flow was solid in parts and weak in most other cases. Also, I really didn’t enjoy the story. Nothing was answered; when I read the ending of the story, it made the rest of it seem like a waste of time. Maybe it’s just me, but I see this verse as nothing more than decent. However, I see your skills shine through each verse and you continue to get better. Keep up the good work.
    [​IMG]

Trybz, you started off with a pretty smooth flow which quickly became sloppy. Also, your language began to sound elementary towards the end of the verse. It sounded more like freestyle. The story was a creative idea, and could have been a good one had you found a more creative way to relay the message. The story was never developed, and I didn’t enjoy reading this. But your potential was noticed.
    [​IMG]

Match ends in a tie between Cane and Lokstok.
    Cane fails to post links.
    LokStok advances.

CraKa JaK vs. Eye-Rime

Got Life? vs. fist

Got Life? posted against a no show with a pretty decent verse. The flow was somewhat lackadaisical and could have been much better. Each bar sounded simple, however the story read very easily, mainly because it read like a story and not like a rhyming story. Sometimes I forgot that it even rhymed. Nevertheless, it was a pretty good story in the end, but I felt that it could have been conveyed a bit better. Something about it just didn’t seem mature to me. But it was a good read.
    [​IMG]

fist no shows.
    [​IMG]

Got Life? advances.

Vigil vs. HellRzah

Vigil, this was an okayish verse in my opinion. The wording was off in some parts and it seemed as if you sacrificed your language for flow, although your flow was still choppy. Also, the story was rather far fetched and could have been more creative, or developed better. And the ending was stupid. I wasn’t really digging this. Hopefully it gets better.
    [​IMG]

Hell Rzah no shows.
    [​IMG]

Vigil advances.

Vern Acular vs. Mike Sullivan

Vern Acular, I've read better stories from you, but nevertheless, you spit it well. The flow was on point, for the most part, throughout the entire verse. Your use of language was superb, and the development of the story was somewhat abstract, yet dope at the same time. Towards the end it kind of fell off as it sped up, and your flow was less impressive as well, however the ending was very unpredictable. I really thought I had it figured out, and was actually mad around the end of the verse until i read the last line. Overall, this was a good piece, and a great no show verse.
    [​IMG]

Mike Sulliavan no shows.
    [​IMG]

Headless Verseman vs. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla, you still have yet to really impress me. The flow was choppy and the story seemed inconsistent. But above all, your entire verse was uninteresting. The drawn out lines and choppy flow, along with a lot of words that did not rhyme or flow smoothly together equaled a somewhat lackluster verse. And the ending was terrible. I'm really disappointed.
    [​IMG]

Headless Verseman no shows.
    [​IMG]

Mets vs. Alamo IV

Alamo, this was actually a very dope piece. The rhythm of the lines were off to me. Although it rhymed rather well, the flow was very choppy and inconsistent. The format of the bars just made it hard to read, or catch on to the flow, besides the fact that some of the lines were longer than others. Nevertheless, the flow was greatly overshadowed by the imagery and magnificent story telling skills. This was actually a very intricate and interesting story. It held my attention throughout. I'm not sure if I've quite grasped the overall plot, but I came up with two scenarios after one read, either the narrator was the mistress, or the wife (which would be the narrator) was a ghost. I'm going with the latter. Very nice drop Alamo. Again, my only complaint would be the flow, or the actual structure in which you posted the bars.
    [​IMG]

Mets no shows.
    [​IMG]
    __________________________________________​
    test
  3. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

[- HEADLINERS OF THE WEEK -]
    Based On Completed Matches

BEST VERSE OVERALL
    Ribo Nuke

2ND BEST VERSE OVERALL
    Eye-Rime

WACKEST VERSE OVERALL
    RYDOGG (2nd week in a row)

BEST OVERALL MATCHUP
    SacriFICE vs. Ribo Nuke

WACKEST OVERALL MATCHUP
    RYDOGG vs Twixin..

BIGGEST UPSET OF THE WEEK
    The numerous no shows

[- NO SHOW LOVE -]

Too many to post this week. But a special thank you to all of the competitors who posted and voted last week. We appreciate your efforts greatly. Keep up the good work, and we will do the same. Also, I would like to give a special shout out to Vern Acular for posting the best no show verse of last week.

[- RANKINGS -]

[CHAMPIONSHIP]
    1. Vern Acular (3-0) vs. 2. DaAlmightyDolla (3-0)

[CONTENDERSHIP]
    3. LokStok 2-0 vs. 4. Got Life? (2-1)

5. Jersey Emcee (2-1) vs. 6. Cane (1-0)
    7. Eye-Rime (1-0) vs. 8. Ribo Nuke (1-0)
    9. Vigil (1-0) vs. 10. MC4SiGHT (1-1)
    11. Trybz (1-1) vs. 12. fist (1-1)
    13. Twixn.. (1-1) vs. 14. TheReturn (0-0)
    15. TeKneeK (0-0) vs. 16. Anaphora (0-0)
    17. Solaris (0-0) vs. 18. Aesir (0-0)
    19. nah son (0-0) vs. 20. Resolute God (0-0)
    21. Headless Verseman (2-0) vs. 22. CraKa JaK (0-1)
    23. SacriFICE (0-1) vs. 24. RYDOGG (0-2)

[- PREDICTIONS -]

[CHAMPIONSHIP]
    1. Vern Acular (3-0) vs. 2. DaAlmightyDolla (3-0)

Vern Acular -3

If not for Vern Acular’s fan base alone, I have to predict him to win. He is a polished veteran with skills out the scrotum. And he is definitely a fan favorite to the readers of RAPMUSIC DOT COM. DAD is somewhat hated, yet successful, and will make this an interesting battle. But I’m going with Vern Acular by at least 3 votes.

[CONTENDERSHIP]
    3. LokStok 2-0 vs. 4. Got Life? (2-1)

Even

Got Life? seems to believe that he has a solid following, although I have yet to see a true veteran cosign to his self proclaimed skills. Nevertheless, he is a decent writer, and sometimes he is much better than others. I predict him to write his heart out in an attempt to prove that he deserves respect. At the same time, I see LokStok writing his heart out, in an attempt to disprove Got Life’s theory of LokStok being garbage. The clash of the sub par emcees. I see this going either way, but for the sake of predictions, I’ll say LokStok by a vote, because he’s fresh and is looking to maintain his perfect record.

5. Jersey Emcee (2-1) vs. 6. Cane (1-0)
    Cane -1

Both emcees are fighting to prove their positions in this league and both emcees have solid skills in the art of storytelling. In my personal opinion, Cane is a more polished writer, mechanically, than Jersey Emcee. But this match is still a toss up. I think it will come down to who delivers the better story. Hopefully we won’t see any motivational speeches and this will be a dope match up. I got Cane by atleast a vote.

7. Eye-Rime (1-0) vs. 8. Ribo Nuke (1-0)
    Ribo Nuke -1

Eye-Rime and Ribo are coming off two solid wins in two solid match ups last week. This looks to be the sleeper match of the week. Both have solid flows and rhyme schemes, and it looks like it will come down to who has the most creative story, or who conveys their story in the most creative way. I’ll go with Ribo Nuke simply because of his reputation, but I also predict this to be closer than some may think. Look for the upset in a classic match up.

9. Vigil (1-0) vs. 10. MC4SiGHT (1-1)
    MC4SiGHT -3

Vigil did not impress me last week. Both should be fresh and well rested. Hopefully this will be a better match then I expect, but I got 4SiGHT winning this pretty easily by at least 3 votes.

11. Trybz (1-1) vs. 12. fist (1-1)
    Fist -3

Trybz has shown potential to be a contender in this league, but he isn’t there yet. Fist, however, is an interesting writer with good mechanical skills. As long as he has a good story, I’ve got fist winning by at least 3 votes.

13. Twixn.. (1-1) vs. 14. TheReturn (0-0)
    TheReturn -5

Again, Twixin.. has shown potential of being a solid contender in this league. But as of now, I don’t think he has what it takes to tackle a former champion. Besides the fact that TheReturn is a former champ, and a better overall writer than his opponent, he also has more dickriders. So I’m going with TheReturn in a blowout.

15. TeKneeK (0-0) vs. 16. Anaphora (0-0)
    Even.

This will be a good match up, I assume. I believe I remember Anaphora being dope, and who can forget TeKneeK. On the account of not remembering either’s particular skill level, nor seeing them post in ages, I’ll take a guess and go with TeKneeK, because he’s hungry and always over motivated.

17. Solaris (0-0) vs. 18. Aesir (0-0)
    Even

Never heard of them. I’ll go with Aesir, because his name is cooler.

19. nah son (0-0) vs. 20. Resolute God (0-0)
    Even

Never heard of them. I’ll go with Resolute God, because his name is cooler.

21. Headless Verseman (2-0) vs. 22. CraKa JaK (0-1)
    Headless Verseman -5

Not to say that CraKa JaK has no skills, but he’s just not there yet. Especially against arguably the most polished mechanical writer in the league (by his own standards). Headless Verseman takes particular pride in crafting his verses and I look for him to come back hungry this week after no showing. Head will take this in a blowout, gunning for the top of the league.

23. SacriFICE (0-1) vs. 24. RYDOGG (0-2)
    SacriFICE -10

RYDOGG will post the same old type of trash. SacriFICE is a decent writer. I’ve got FICE, by a mile.

[- CONCLUSION -]

Sorry the magazine was late. But then again, I feel like almost the entire league stood me up last week. So whatever’s clever. Don’t let it happen again. We have got to keep these no shows to a minimum or this league will no longer be an enjoyable hobby.​
    test
  4. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

[- PREDICTION ACCURACY -]
    At the end of 12 weeks a prize of 50-100$ will be rewarded to the most accurate participant. If you miss a week of predictions then you get 0 of the total number. So don't miss out. If you do miss out it's still possible to win. Also, double no shows are tossed out. Only participants and Ex champs are allowed to participate.

J o o k 19/26 .. 73%

MC4SiGHT 16/25 .. 64%

MCQuriosity 15/24 ..62.5%

Got Life? 14/26 .. 54%

headless verseman 12/24 .. 50%

HellRzah 6/24.. 25%

TheReturn 5/24.. 21%

TaLi Rodriguez 4/24 .. 16%

fist 3/24 .. 12.5%

[- POWER RANKINGS -]
    Based On the Accumulation of Stars

1. Vern Acular [7]
    2. Eye-Rime [4.5]
    3. Baron Mynd [4]
    4. Cane [3.5]
    4. DaAlmightyDolla [3.5]
    4. Got Life? [3.5]
    4. Headless Verseman [3.5]
    4. LokStok [3.5]
    9. Alamo IV [3]
    9. Ribo Nuke [3]
    10. Mike Sullivan [2.5]
    10. Twixn.. [2.5]
    12. CraKa JaK [2]
    12. fist [2]
    12. Jersey Emcee [2]
    13. Trybz [1.5]
    13. SacriFICE [1.5]
    17. King Grimet [1]
    17. RYDOGG [1]
    17. Vigil [1]​
    test
  5. Cane

Cane New Member

i wasn't really referring to a higher power sort of thing. but good breakdown. like i said in my topic i wish i could've spent more time on it. i think i had about 40 min and rushed what i wanted to put out there. it's also hard with some of my ideas jamming them into 60 or so lines.
    test
  6. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

^you've got a message

and you don't need to explain anything to me, you've earned respect from my corner cane
    test
  7. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

Isn't Resolute god Barons name?
    test
  8. J o o k

J o o k Guest

yes baron is a weird guy.

he signs in and out on a different name EVERY week.
    test
  9. LokStok

LokStok Fuck that LokStrok cunt

good read .. thanks for the crit on my verse ..

I like the Power Ranking system too .. adds a little more than simply winning trying to climb that table too ..
    test
  10. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss Pent Up and DIC, see at least they weren't childish about their shit and are both good writers.

Wow, that's a sad fucking day in the league.

lol @ the power ranking based on accumulation of one hack jobs assesment of verses.

Vigil gets 1 star? are you mental?

You didn't even rank the Alamo and dude came with a decent piece.

Just an all together really whack system with a good concept behind it...

As for the predictions...

Vern's fanbase isn't present in the league today because the league is cluttered with newcomers like yourself, while you've rigorously attached yourself to his cock, Vern will actually have to win his battles, luckily for him DAD isn't anyone he should have a problem with especially if he continues writing his never-ending story.

As for me...I don't claim to have a fan base, but any veteran in the league knows who I am, I am the league's Ironman, I'm a former champ, and with exception of that bullshit loss to Mike Sullivan, i've never lost to anyone who wasn't a Champ. At the same time I would get much more votes if I was a nice guy and didn't cut into all of you homos how I do, but that's just how I am.

And I do take criticism well, you just don't provide any actual criticism, the only thing anyone can really say is beef up my rhyme scheme, which I simply don't give a plain fuck for, it's not essential. Beyond that, my bars aren't short...yours are just stretched, I write to actual music. WOW...Crazy concept...

But then again i'll do me, cause I accomplished everything I have while being voted in a close matchup between me and DIC as the most hated.

But see my issue with you isn't only how you come off to me...like how you call Sac a "decent" writer...the kid is like 24-3 or some shit with a couple titles and quite a few accolades...you've never accomplished anything and you're only the mod of this league because genuinely no one else would do the job and you have no life, which is cool, I appreciate you taking time out of your life to run the league because I enjoy the RSTL, but don't get high and mighty until you can prove yourself as a writer that can blow people away.
    test
  11. LokStok

lol ..

I do think Got Life? makes a fair point on the power system being based on one view .. but I do like the idea .. but how do you please everyone? .. even being honest and consistent catches flak ..

but our battle's ready for you Got Life? .. win or lose .. I'm sure it will be a pleasure against such royalty of the league ..
    test
  12. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla Greatness

i wonder wat will happen if i actually do win with my 3.5 rating....

i agree the rating system should be a combined opinion from both mods
    test
  13. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

Lok, i'm headed to work right now then I have an exam, but soon as that's over I'll write my verse cause I already have the topic and idea put together.
    test
  14. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

who cares? its my opinion

no one else cries in this league but you

and im waitin on jook to send me a breakdown of alamo's verse, dipshit
    test
  15. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

it is, he rates some and i rate others

he would rate more if he had the time, but then again, he'd probably write the mag if he had the time
    test
  16. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

and got life? i was 12-2 in the RSTL back in the day, and the 2 were no shows

but who cares?, lol... I dont live and die by my rstl record like you, its nothing more than a hobby homeslice
    test
  17. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla Greatness

i meant ya should rate the same verse and come 2 a conclusive score on it..
    other wise its still 1 persons opinion
    test
  18. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

its a good idea,
    but we're on opposite sides of the country
    and im not an aim'er
    so i dont think we could pull it off

either way, if you understand that its just my opinion, then what's the big deal?
    test
  19. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

maybe we just won't have a magazine, its that simple really
    test
  20. LokStok

ah com'on bonkerz .. give me something to read on a monday night/tuesday morning (UK time) ..

you're doing a good job bud .. any piece of text from any member would have that person's taste/opinion incoroporated into it .. and I'd rather see a mag with personality than some plain non-offensive politic correctness shrewn magazine ..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.