the rock is ruining the wwe title right now.

Discussion in 'Smack Down!' started by Diasick, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

That's a waste for someone like the Rock tbh...I'd rather see him running Raw or something
    test
  2. Priceless

Priceless Like I'm doin it for TV

Am I the only one who feels like the champion doesn't need to be on tv/fighting every week?

The whole point of being champion is that, for all intents and purposes, you are to be considered the best at the time. Everybody else is working for the ability to face you and prove that they are the best.

Seeing the champion fight is supposed to be a special event. CM Punk spoiled us by being at and fighting at damn near every event and that's respectable on his part for his character and work ethic but it waters down what it means to be a champion.

I don't know how much the WWE agrees with me either as I can't remember a title reign where the champ wasn't all over tv but I think the Rock currently embodies a classical image as champion.

If anything, having to pay to see the champion fight on ppv should add to the prestige of the championship, not the other way around.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    test
  3. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

they diluted the prestige of the belt when 10 years consisted of either cena or hhh holding the belt. cena needs to become a bottom tier wrestler. him always competing for the championship has ruined wwe. everyone knows he's gonna win and everyone hopes the wwe can just get some balls and let real talent hold the belt for a bit. they did a good job with cm punk.
    test
  4. Diasick

Diasick this guy

all the rock needs to do is talk.
    test
  5. Priceless

Rock can't look like he does and not fight. Ring rust aside, he looks like a gladiator. Vince would give his one good teste to have a few more superstars that look like that.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    test
  6. jerzcity

jerzcity Member

True plus Rocky still in fighting shape, tho I wouldn't be shocked if his conditioning was crappy. And in regard to your prior post, I understand what you mean by the champ fighting on ppv only, but that's still kinda wack.

Rock is mainstream & his name carries weight, but any other champ must fight frequently for that exposure. Fans are conditioned to that style, keep it going imo.
    test
  7. Diasick

Diasick this guy

rocky just keeping it warm for super cena.
    test
  8. Priceless

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the idea of a 'fighting champion' too. Punk did an ok job at that at best though, you want to talk about diminishing prestige? How many non-title matches did Punk lose in his 434 championship reign? How many cheap wins and/or DQ-finishes got him out of a sticky situation on the Raw episodes between ppvs?

Imagine Punk's reign if he would've fought once a month and only appeared on Raw 1-2 times between ppvs to build up anticipation for his next defense. Guaranteed the championship would've main-evented each ppv it was defended at. LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

I loved Punk as champion and his long reign was fantastic for the business, but watching your champion get saved by the Shield and Brad Maddox and Paul Heyman and what-have-you doesn't make for a prestigious championship.

Maybe my Rock-fandom has gotten me to fall in love with the romantic idea of a champion, but the WWE is more like boxing than the NFL/NHL/NBA. By that I mean, as in boxing, the competitors fight one another to earn an attempt at a championship match. The champion only has to defend his title until it is lost. Then he, like everyone else, is fighting again for the championship. In the team sports leagues, a new champion is crowned once a year and then the game starts over. You win a cup, or bowl, or ring and then next year you're back in the rabble with the rest of the teams working your way back up.

If(when) John Cena becomes champion at Wrestlemania, I want to see him on Raw the night after celebrating his win, making his jokes, doing his John Cena thing. If I don't see him again until the following ppv, I wouldn't be mad... he's earned it./kayfabe

Hell, if I never see another top-tier championship match on Raw or Smackdown, I'll be perfectly okay with that. One more reason to subscribe to the WWE network, imo.
    test
  9. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

rock still got it.
    test
  10. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

test
  11. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I have to agree with Priceless I think Punk has spoiled us in a lot of aspects to the title.
    test
  12. Diasick

Diasick this guy

I was at raw on monday and everyone was mad cuz the rock wasn't there. lol

it was still a great show..
    test
  13. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I blame Rikishi.
    test
  14. Mave2

Mave2 Active Member