the rock is a f-cking cornball.

Discussion in 'Smack Down!' started by abz is dead., Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abz is dead.

abz is dead. bobby the brain

bunch of corny fucking catchphrases to get the 12 year olds off. shit was old in 1999, it's only getting worse.
    test
  2. abz is dead.

dude's pandering is sub-foley.
    test
  3. abz is dead.

lawler and cole providing the laugh track was cringe-worthy too. i don't get how anyone can rip on cena promos but like the rock. same shit, different catchphrases.
    test
  4. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I agree that you can't rip on Cena's and like the Rocks but i am a huge fan of the Rock. CM Punk rocked it last night tho
    test
  5. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Punk smashed it.....Rocky has been super stale.....I stopped giving a fuck about him coming back a long time ago.....but I guess if you're into forced catch phrases, he's your guy.
    test
  6. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

the rock sucks. fuckin tooth fairy lol..fuck outta here..
    test
  7. Priceless

Priceless Like I'm doin it for TV

So f mad at all of u right now.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

test
  9. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

After rewatching the promos from last night, Punk was the clear winner on the mic. His kiddie comment was on point.
    test
  10. Priceless

I can't express my full opinion on the phone right now but I feel like most* of you are intelligent wrestling fans on par with or moreso than myself.

Punk and Rock are roles, this is a story that we are watching. The roles are opposite one another and the two are playing their roles perfectly.

I'll go into more detail on my opinion when I get to a laptop but last night was executed to perfection on both Punk and Rock's part.

test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

box with god
    test
  12. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I don't deny that. I actually enjoyed it. CM Punk did a great job tho, better than what he's done previously. The Rock does what he does best! :)
    test
  13. Priceless

OK. Bare with me.

What I was going for before is this... WWE is obviously, first and foremost, a business. The product the business provides is wrestling, in their words, sports entertainment. I have, like many of you, grown up watching the WWF/E and have been a fan since childhood. As I've gotten older I've allowed myself to step back and enjoy more than just the story presented to me (when it's good) and the talent on the screen (when it's there), I've been able to look at it in a manner of WHAT'S GOOD FOR BUSINESS. You can see this in my prediction from a few months back with the WWE title. Obviously they didn't go the route I assumed they would, but I'm still interested in the current booking (although I would've preferred it my way). This doesn't make me any different than any of you, as I know you all are capable of this as well, it simply prefaces why I enjoyed last night.

The WWE has MILLIONS (...and millions) of fans. Every day new people are introduced and old people lose touch and stop watching, but there is a HARDCORE fan base. This fanbase is a duality. There are (what I look at as) the casuals (generally women and children READ: MARKS) this type of fan is where most of the money comes from. As far as I can tell it's the larger market, it's also the one that fluctuates the most. Kids as early as 4 and 5 until they hit puberty and they start to fall. Little Jimmy. (Again, I'm speaking generally here as there are marks of all ages and gender, but you know what I'm getting at).

The second portion of this fanbase is generally filled with those of us who've never grown out of it. We may not love it as much as we used to, we may not follow it as faithfully or be as emotionally invested, but we love it. Hell, there are plenty of us who are the opposite, bigger fans now than ever, but we still fall into this category. We've gone beyond what we're force-fed by Vince McMahon. We watch other federations. We follow indies. We read blogs and/or dirtsheets and/or post on message boards devoted to wrestling. READ: SMARKS. We don't fall for the face/heel agenda. We like talent. We want the best to succeed. We want talkers. We want GOOD stories where the face doesn't always win in the end. We want a touch of reality. We want new and amazing moves. We want complexity. We DO NOT WANT STATUS QUO.

Obviously you can see where I believe I fall. If I'm not mistaken, most of you fit the same bill.

The WWE writers can be off the mark A LOT. But there have been some incredible moments recently. GREAT matches. Good stories. The right talent getting pushed and getting screen time, with just enough STATUS QUO to keep us a little sick to our stomachs. Sometimes I feel like the writers don't take smarks or the IWC seriously, but TLC made me feel like they knew WTF WAS UP. I'd love for them to make a serious turn but they can't. What they can do is placate and do their damnedest to appeal to the best of both worlds. John Cena vs CM Punk seemed to be the best they could do, but Punk simply beat Cena turn after turn. Cleanly... dirty... no matter what, Punk won. Punk is (currently) WWE's *gift* to the smarks. Let him get the mic and drop a pipebomb from time to time, put Paul Heyman in his corner and they've done the best they can do at this current time.

Not bad really.

Until now. I mean really, Punk hasn't won a match clean in who knows how long. His promos have become boring and repetitive and his impending match with the Rock was something to look forward to but didn't seem to have any real implication. Until the KNEES2FACES t-shirt. For WWE to release that they had to have something bigger in mind. Last night they showed us what that was. This match is a representation of smark vs mark.

Punk criticized the Rock for EVERYTHING he did last night BEFORE he did it. Rock obviously could've gone a different route and proved him wrong but he didn't because that wouldn't have been the Rock. It was FAR from his greatest promo ever but it was everything that was expected from him (STATUS QUO). AND. THE. PEOPLE. LOVED. IT.

Cookie puss was genuinely funny. Stupid as all hell, but funny. I read somewhere online where someone said that the Rock's M.O. for promos since his return was "the Rock remembers a thing... the Rock calls his opponent that thing." Not a single child chanting cookie puss last night knew wtf cookie puss was. But they chanted it all the same.

Side note: my mother and wife watched the end of Raw with me last night and both were bored senseless during Punk's rant. My mother even said "I wish the Rock would come out here and shut him up." She loved Rock's promo, wife enjoyed it as well.

I mark out for the Rock. I always have.

...I enjoyed CM Punk's promo more.
    test
  14. Priceless

TL;DR: WWE writers book Punk v. Rock as an metaphor for smarks v. marks in a way Punk v. Cena never could be. I accept my role as a smark while still marking out for the Rock as I have since adolescense.
    test
  15. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

My problem isn't with what the Rock is doing for business, that's obviously a plus for everyone involved for the WWE. More buys = more royalty for everyone that's on the Royal Rumble card (with 30 guys in one match, that's a lot of people right there).

My issue isn't with Rock for what he's done in the past, I've been on both sides at different times, usually preferring Rock as a heel but the fact that he's a face today isn't my issue either.

My issue with Rock now is the same issue as last year, that being that he's phoning it in. I don't give any more of a fuck about the match because of the Rock now than I did before. Do I have interest in the match? Of course, but I'm stopping short of calling it a dream match because part of what makes a match is the build up, and although I thought Punk delivered in a big way, The Rock made it matter less. The best thing that Rock did was put Punk over as a real champion. Other than that, he was just phoning it in, as usual.
    test
  16. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Oh, and cookie puss is something that should never be repeated by the WWE Universe again.

Here's to hoping that Brock Lesnar interferes.
    test
  17. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

That was my fav part.
    test
  18. abz is dead.

Rock's promos are great for people with a 10-year old's sense of humor or I guess some serious Attitude Era nostalgia. Fine, I'm glad they enjoy it.

I think they're shit and they make want to change the channel. Bottom line.
    test
  19. Priceless

Fair enough. I'm not gonna lie to anyone and act like it was a great promo. I enjoy generic Rock antics, but I would love something more.

I'm not going to hold out for anything better before or after the Rumble, I don't see a spot for it if they're gonna book it this way. I just like what they're doing and I'm happy they're utilizing the Rock this way. I'm hyped as hell for the match and I'm excited for Smackdown.

test
  20. E. Fate

E. Fate aka Koffee Blakk

You have to excuse him...it brings a tear to his eye everytime Dwayne shows up...trust me, I've seen it personally. It's f'n pathetic LOL.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.