The real Intellectuals (Riz, McGirth, Soultan, Sun Zoo, etc.) - My book continues!

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Ghet for Prez, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My book, called "The Empath", has proven to be very difficult medium to express the ideas I wish to convey.

With access to medical records on PubMed.com, contacts at Cornell for Neuropsychopharmaucology, UCLA tenure professors for Quantum Physics, Air Force Military Electric Engineers, and may other people in the field, I have much information to sift through in terms of creating believable technological advancements that take place in the book.

The brief of the overall picture:

The West (America and Europe) have refused new genetic technologies for fear of environmental issues and morality concerns. This issue is paralelled with the Chinese invention of gunpowder that was not used because Chinese Kings feared peasents would overcome their trained armies too easily. This technology was exploited in full detail by Europeans who, at that time, were the armpit of the world. From this idea, developing nations look to China and their growing biotechnological sector to help modify their own labor forces these nations remain economically competitive regionally and in a global environment.

Environmentalism has become a state sponsered religion for Leftists in the West. Conservatives amend their religions to include environmental stewardship as part of God's commands. The reasoning, on the state player level, is to keep developing nations (such as new comer Africa or even Southwest Asia) from becoming the new 1890 post-Bismark Germany.

While the West is not using genetic technologies (largely because they know this sort of thing will destabilize their way of life and cause drastic power shifts in their economy which the world still depends on) the West is developing Artificial Intelligence to the extreme degrees to help calculate a new way of warfare known as "envirocomonics" (A neogolism describing the relationship between economic infrastructure and environmental impact) War is no longer fought by humans in Developed Nations. Instead, economic policy has proven to be a crippling force, isolating nations to the point of uselessnesss in the global stage, and thusly, forcing them to navigate the •••••••••• of UN-enforced environmental labryinth of laws pertaining to their self-sufficient industrial output.

The US is still in the Middle East, Iraq has been partitioned, Afghani's in the Farsi-speaking regions broke away from the New Republic and became a proxy pseudo-state for Iran. The entire Middle East is on the verge of dramatic civil war now that oil-independance infrastructure is in place and their biggest customers no longer care about their product. The US is using this as an excuse to maintain presence in the region for "peacekeeping", but because they care about monitoring China's interest in the region since they will need excessive volumes of oil now that China is in the process of converting their 45% agricultural sector into a urban landscape. (Additionally, they are also enjoying the benefits of having the majority of their land forces within the Asian theatre in the event China begins to act up)

And that is the political backdrop for now.

Feasible?
    test
  2. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Depends on what year you're setting it in.
    test
  3. The book takes place between 2020-2050
    test
  4. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

why is it called the emptah
    test
  5. >:D

The big debate in bioethics is how much genetics will change everything human and thus, provides tremendous amounts of resistance to doing anything involving drastic bioltechnological advancement in Western avenues.

The idea of the book is to redefine how we think of emotions, and therefore, rethink how we determine morality in a world where humans are not only what evolution has directly inspired, but also in a world where we will no longer be the only source of intelligence.

And I will do both without using utopian/dystopian thematic simplification and blindness.

Ergo, the name "The Empath" are the main characters.. people whose mode of thought, in one specific fashion, are empathic to the decisions determined by higher-order machine intelligence who can observe infinitely more variables in complex evolving systems than a single human mind can.
    test
  6. Sodium

are you, by your defeintion, an "empath" too?
    test
  7. Huh? I'm the "author". The characters in my book are "empaths" to machine intelligence. Some do so because it is non-human and exotic. Others are empathic because the machine intelligence helps provide insight on how to further understand the function and role of human emotions.
    test
  8. Sodium

ok i thought you were presenting it as like a super-hero power
    test
  9. No. Empathy has long been anthropomorphically driven. (No one campaigns to save those cute sea slugs!) This book will explain a complicated situation where empathy must be redefined as less knee-jerk and more along the lines of a broader picture in order for overall survival in a world that is rapidly escalating for a dramatic and violent power shift.
    test
  10. Sodium

i think the direction of starting very general and then closing to a philosophical like understanding is good but I think when talking about re-shaping morality you might rub people the wrong way. Like you're trying to sell your religion. and one that doesn't sell well to people. like for example the amorality stuff you talk about sometimes. that will never go platinum.
    test
  11. Platnium? Huh?

This is a book. An expression of ideas. It only needs to get in the hands of important people who can see the validity of these ideas, not the mass peasantry. (Think of the relationship between Ayn Rand and Alan Greenspan)

Being anti-environmentalist is rapidly becoming the same as being amoral. I am not here to blend in. I am here to explain things that the others are too scared to observe or act on. If you walk in a direction others hate, do it with confidence to show them there is nothing to fear.
    test
  12. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

While not one of the members mentioned in the thread I had a few questions about the premise. What sorts of genetic technology are you referring to? Secondly, I was wondering if your book proposes a different set of economic sanctions than what is already in use, since economic sanctions apparently had little affect on Sadam's power, and he had a small country with a small economy. Especially compared with the biggest players in the time frame you are speaking about, US, EU, China, India, etc. Can economic sanctions work on any of these countries? The idea that the US could push for meaningful economic sanctions on China without severe impact on it's own economy is minimal. Plus, smaller countries like North Korea have shown that they can persist against sanctions and force larger countries to negotiate. I am just curious if these sorts of ideas will be addressed or not.

Besides that sounds like an interesting book.
    test
  13. McGirth

McGirth New Member

eh you don't talk about it. you just do it.
    think of the effect of orwell or huxley on 20th century morality.
    Ethics commisions on biothetics are in very large part the result of brave new world.

ways to change morality/ideas:
    -write political theory book
    -write novel with your political ideas in it
    -write commentaries on political ideas (this filters its way down, see the influence of someone like Nietzsche commenting on Plato or Strauss commenting on Nietzsche and Plato)
    -make popular music/movie/etc that incites the masses.
    -create invention that changes the way humans interact with environment by necessity.

of course, its hard to know if your really original or just carrying out the implications of philosophers of old. aren't we all just Hobbes/Locke/Bacon's bitches?

Ghet: just give one of your characters your amoral view. Something like Ivan in The Brothers Karamozov.
    test
  14. McGirth

McGirth New Member

ghet sounds like a reasonable/beleivable backdrop. just make sure not to include these views of the world for the sake of it. you need to have a reason to have all this info (i.e. your characters need to interact with the environment). also red1 raised a valid point.
    test
  15. The genetic technology is essentially primitive compared to most Science Fiction backdrops. So much so primitive that attempts to change complicated neurology result in mostly failure. In fact, the key three children that help develop the multidimensional math are all related to one another. One child has had his brain developed in a way similar to autism, but he has absolutely zero comprehension of human emotion. The second child exists to provide unconditional empathy for the first child, but because her mind too has been changed, she has a problem interfacing with actual people as well. The third child has the capacity to read the second child emotionally and intellectually and interface with the world. That's how primitive we are talking here.

Economic sanctions had tremendous effect on Saddam. They served exactly the purpose they were designed for: to soften him up and cut off contact for 10 years so when another invasion occured, it could be done with relative ease. Economic sanctions are forcing Korea to essentially the same position, which is why all these people tend make desperate grabs for WMD to recover the power lost from the sanction. They aren't forcing a country to neogitate. They are making a last ditch effort, which always appears noble for cultures that are compulsively obsessed with giving the underdog free sloppy blow jobs as often as possible. In the end, they have no realpolitik, because if they did, they wouldn't be making grabs for WMDs and essentially becoming a regional threat that the big boys in the neighborhood have to solve. We are, essentially, making China stop North Korea, which is hilarious if you know how North Korea got started to begin with.

Economic sanctions can cripple developed nations, but it would take a force of nature, massive shift to extremist political ideology, overpopulation of males in a country, or other dramatic actions to severe such ties.

US cannot apply meaningful sanctions on China.
    test
  16. Sodium

yeh basically.

anf Ghet has been selling his views on morality on here for years. Morality as only a tool for power. Because Ghet is a tyrant, see. So he has a flimsy link to the people. This is funny because morality is based on relationships with other people. Something he does not acknowledge beyond the level of things exploiting other things for their own search for power. Notice how this view is all about me me me and not us. Like Nietszche before him, like Thrasymacus before them. All them niikkas are the same. And they're all wrong.

So Ghet, I think will have a hard time selling that as the new philosophical fashion statement. Because 1, its been played out already and 2, its so bleak. I mean yeah it would appeal to some folks, pero, it always does anyway.

So Ghet I say to you, in order to sell your ideas you need to gussy them up. You need added drama and some flashy punchlines. You know how to paint so yeh maybe you can pump new life into these old views. The futuristic, verge of technological omnipotence/destruction I admit is pretty catchy. You should write the book in the same mood and style as The Taleus. He is good at creating cult-like hype.
    test
  17. One is amoral. His name is Brian Collins. (for now.. might change it later) He believes the Western moral concerns about biotechology are insane and believes that such actions ultimately doom Western civilization for not taking a more aggressive approach to harnessing that technology, instead of viciously rebelling against it.
    test
  18. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

I read from your first post that Economic sanctions made it so wars were not fought. Although sanctions crippled Iraq, the US still went to war with the country to try to change the government there. Sanctions with North Korea have not changes their behavior, every few years they start messing with nuclear energy/weapons and then ask for a deal where they will stop if the world gives them aid of some kind.

I was just curious if your new economic sanctions were going to do away with the military part of the equation.

Furthermore, without an ability to sanction each other economically how will the most developed nations threaten each other other than through military means.
    test
  19. Morality is -NOT- directly based on relationships with other people in the sense that you say.

Morality is rooted in emotions, and emotions are rooted as an evolutionary proto-language for a species who cannot figure out a written language quite yet. Therefore, you make the leap from morality to communication (other people) without considering the emotional layer in between.

This book hopes to drag that relationship into the light, and then shatter it as useless anthropomorphism. Morality must be redefined if we are to make sense of this new world we are bound to create for ourselves.

Don't worry about the front-end interface. The way the Machine talks is emotionlessly omnipotent. The conversations between the Empath and the Machine are funny, interesting, and downright frightening; like a mortal asking God questions and God, without a hint of struggling, dumbing down His view in a way that the mortal would understand, weither the mortal liked it or not.
    test
  20. McGirth

McGirth New Member

heres the thing about viewing morality as totally amoral. If a person sees morality as non-existent, technically they should be the biggest on religious or whatehver morality they want to represent. I.e. they shoudl be trying ot use this morality for power, not telling us that morality can be used for power (i.e. playing poker with the cards up). A machiavelian dosn't go around telling evryone he's machiavellian.
    If i was amoral, which i'm not, the least thing i would do is go around parading my amorality.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.