The Put Yourself On Series:"Making A Profit"(Good Read)

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Indie_Foreva, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indie_Foreva

Indie_Foreva New Member

Introduction:

If your in this game to make money and you have yet to acquire a business manager,(which I'm sure most of you probably haven't) it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you get back as much as you put in or DOUBLE. Once you all understand that this game is a HUSTLE and CRAP SHOOT you will be fine. lol And if you get into this game deep enough it'll be like finding out that Santa isn't real and the harsh reality is if your not being talked about or have a hit single you are dead in the commercial waters. That's why people pull these publicity stunts that go haywire or just seemed TIMED too perfect to be true. I suggest you pick up "All You Need To Know About The Music Industry" by Donald Passman.
    http://www.ama zon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743246373/qid=1126140336/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8038463-3720005?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    Close the space in the word AMAZON.

It is REALLY informative and it gives you the kind of information that allows you to:
    1. Be Your Own Manager.
    2. Work the College Market
    3. And Budget YOURSELF as a label would

On To Business:

You have to look at the type of investments you are going to make and GIVE YOURSELF YOUR OWN BUDGET.

A lot of questions/statements probably go through your head like damn "How the f*ck did Gucci Mane, Mike Jones, and people like that get on and are so big when they aren't that talented?" WELL, Money talks. You either have big business BEFORE-hand, OR you have INVESTORS(if you read my introduction you will know what type of people these are since Hip Hop and The Streets are one in the same) that will forward you close to the same amount the LABELS will. Take Slim Thug and Young Jeezy for example: Slim Thug had about 4 businesses while Jeezy was making BIG INVESTMENTS(lol) with a MOB(listen to Trap or Die you'll know plus they have billboards everywhere down here) that was able to give them HUGE BUDGETS well over the $250,000 mark. This gave them the bread for BIG promotion to distribute CDs, payola, Kill the Mixtape Game(paying DJ's big bread to host their mixtapes) and landed Slim Thug a joint deal with his label along with Star Trek/Geffen. And since he had the numbers to say "I did X-amount of hundreds of thousands independently", they went ahead and gave him that BIG BUDGET because those independent SOUNDSCANS give you something called LEVERAGE when negeotiating record deals. See the flip?(hustle)

You and The Business:

But let's be realistic for the average internet MC. Your not slanging big boy dope or related to any professional basketball/football stars where investing $50,000 into your career wouldn't matter to their pockets.Your probably in High School/College, jobless or barely making minimum wage, and your parent's don't even support your hip hop dream. Right?

This is ONE technique you could use to get heard regionally. It'll take WORK but I GUARENTEE you will atleast be KNOWN around your region IF you stick with it. It is ALSO a way to create A BUZZ, Street Recognition, and put you on another level from the "MC" rapping at your lunch table

AS WELL AS MAKE YOU $$$.

Getting Your Music OUT: I've made it easy for you to do this buy putting prices in my signature(wholesale) for a large amount of CDs. If the prices are out of your budget then e-mail or AIM me and I MIGHT work out a deal with you if you A. Show Me Your Drive. B. Show Me Your Music(that way I know your serious) OR C. Simply refer somebody to me.(which is a given)

The Method of The CD Flip: Ok. Say you go ahead and purchase 1000 CDs from me for $250 you can easily make your money back. If you take it to the next level of printing your logo on it, spending more money to make them pretty, etc. then that's on you. But the Magic Marker with the Group Name and Contact number works just fine.(You will understand) You still want to be professional with your approach and people don't mind a starving artist(actually pity parties aren't bad if you got appeal and your talking to girls lol.) All your trying to do is get a buzz anyway(we did this and it hooked us up with our high profile manager which got us our deal and now you know us, also Crime Mob's Knuck if you Buck was pushed like this, Franchise...same thing.)

This is great for mixtape projects or 3-7 track EPs. You can SELL EACH CD FOR $1 DOLLAR and make your money back or just to make a quick $1000(we'll get to that in a minute). If you can't sell your mixtape compilation for a dollar then you should consider another profession.

For you kids in the SUBURBS take weekends during the day wherever your "downtown" is and sell them there. HIGH SCHOOLS and COLLEGES are big markets. (obviously) Hip Hop functions such as underground summits, open mics, radio events(LISTEN TO YOUR RADIO, THEY GIVE YOU THE KEYS TO THE NETWORKING GAME BELIEVE ME, i KNOW YOU HATE COMMERCIAL MUSIC BUT LISTEN TO YOUR RADIO FOR THE EVENTS), flea markets, or any gathering with a huge turn out.(if you have none and live in Hickville, USA then the college or high schools will still get your cds out of your hands). BUT Make sure you atleast have a cd player for the people who actually stop and talk to you so you can get pass the "I want to hear something before I buy it." excuse. And for $1 you can't beat it if they enjoy it in even the SLIGHTEST bit. (continuing on to the next reply)
    test
  2. Indie_Foreva

Indie_Foreva New Member

STAY AWAY:
    From Nightclubs(where there is strictly dancing and you have ONE big name performer that night). People don't care about you at the moment. You have to catch people in their natural habitats such as afternoon functions.

I SUGGEST the LOW PRICE so it will SELL easier, More PEOPLE will have it, and it will keep you SELF motivated to reach your GOAL(which we will also get into in a minute in "The Fork In The Road".) If you feel your product is good enough that it'll sell for $5 then so be it. But I GUARENTEE at a dollar you will accomplish more.

For the "Fork In the Road".

This is what I SUGGEST.

Once you've sold enough and got your $250 back this leaves you with 750 copies(if you did the ONE DOLLAR method) these are the options you have:
    A)
    STOP.
    And just give out the 750 copies that remain.(Atleast you know 1000 people KNOW your NAME) PLUS you have that extra $250 to BUY A WHOLE NOTHER BATCH and continue to do this process. Imagine DEDICATING this system for 3 months straight. Every weekend(or even during the week), while hanging out your slanging your CDs making MONEY, Building your NAME, and making CONNECTIONS.

B)
    Make ALL of your money back.
    So now you've just profited $750. This could go towards "prettying it up" like I was talking about. Getting your picture on it, maybe getting a better MIX on it, WHATEVER IT TAKES to get it close to professional as possible.

My answer??? CHOOSE C.
    C)
    Both A&B.
    Do A for maybe the first 2 or 3 thousand copies. Then for the NEXT go around do B. So now 4,250 people or more know your name, YOU HAVE MONEY in your pocket to get your picture ON IT, get a better mix, etc. THEN TURN back AROUND and do A for another 2 or 3 thousand copies. This time 8,500 people know your name but 4,250 people KNOW what you LOOK like.

See the flip?

SET GOALS. Make sure you have a target date for how many CDs you want sold so you can keep the system working at a steady pace. And this my friend, is ONE WAY you can turn your music career...

INTO YOUR LIVING. This method also frees up more money to PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE(we will get into those things as the tutorials go on)

If you continue you this I GUARENTEE the next tutorials will make even more since and will be easy to follow.

Thank You.
    test
  3. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

good shit. the 1st mixtape i started sellin few years back i sold for $5-7. it had black/white cd jacket, sticker label in a slim case recorded wit a $5 comp mic. i sold like 100 copies and stopped cuz i wasnt satisfied wit the music. i was surprised i even sold 100. 2nd mixtape i went the cafepress . com route to try and make it look more professional and sold it for $5-10. it had color album jacket, tray card, printing was on the cd itself and recorded it wit an sm57 and sm58. it looked dope and i charged more cuz higher production cost, but i sold a lot less. all mixtapes were sold during shows/word of mouth/internet.

imma try ur 1000 cd's for $1 approach. maybe put a sticker label or jus write on it wit marker and put em in sleeves. and if i cant sell it for a $1 i have no business rapping.
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

ehhhh....

or you could do it the easy way
    test
  5. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

This is probably the most useful info anyone has given out on here.
    This is the EXACT system that I done, to promote an artist back in 2000-2002, and it worked FAR better than seling at them $5.
    Because let's be honest, a dollar is NOTHING, and when your out spendin some, you'd most likely toss a buck away like it aint shit, on the other hand $5 just seems to hit you like "well, is the shit worth it?".
    Great info.
    test
  6. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

you may get the distribution by doing that, but come the second album you cant really charge more than like $3-4, especially if you didnt put that much money into it

it takes a lot longer to build an artists career that way then it does the "textbook" way
    test
  7. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

well if u sell a ghetto lookin version for $1 to thousands of ppl and they're feelin ur shit, slowly up the aesthetic appeal of the next cd and slowly increase the price. build up a fan base, then when u drop the real shit hopefully they'll cop it. if not, repeat until it works.
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

that takes FOREVER, trust me, it will take you like 5+ years before your turning a profit from it

its waaay easier to do it the textbook way, shit, if someones got the skills, image, stage presence and a few good live performances, i can pretty much gaurentee that I can get them signed to a decent deal in under six months...and they dont even need to have the album out yet
    test
  9. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Yea, tell that to Fatal Phenom, DZK, Avenue, Nimrod, etc.
    These are names I've heard (specially Nimrod) for AWHILE and they aren't getting signed.
    test
  10. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

they're clearly missing something then, or they're not ready to be signed

i'd have to go and see them perfrom live to be able to get a good idea
    test
  11. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

<-- has had a few people trying to sell me shit in Downtown Houston. Indie...keep your folks away from me! (assuming you're down here) Shit is annoying. One guy tried to sell me some CD's...then tried to sell me half a bottle of cologne.. The homeless are bad enough...

...I just thought they were bootleggin shit though.

On my side of Houston (alief), a few gas stations have screw tapes...err...cd's @ the register. Cheap CDR stuff - paper label - slim jewel case. I always thought they were bootleg...now this dude makes me wonder. I still ain't payin' $8 for it.
    test
  12. Indie_Foreva

Indie_Foreva New Member

Sorry Arcane it seemed to work for us.(maybe it's the market though...Atlanta). And the 15 people who already e-mailed me feel like it'll work for them too.

To each his own.

Thanks to everybody else who thought it was insightful.
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

well, good luck with that then

i never said it couldnt work, just that there's easier ways

the dudes that get their hustle on every day downtown with a stack of cds aren't going anywhere any time soon....they been on the same street corner for over a year doin exactly what your talking about
    test
  14. Indie_Foreva

Indie_Foreva New Member

Upped over the Introduction.
    test
  15. Indie_Foreva

Indie_Foreva New Member

Let's keep upping.
    test
  16. Jae Stoopz

Jae Stoopz New Member

good shit man....post the new one up asap
    test
  17. D.Productions

D.Productions New Member

well i sold 200 copies my first 3 days on my own....and that crap u say about the 1 dollar shit doesnt work as u think it does trust me. i have proffeisonal printing on my cds..and there shrinkrapped and have a upc or whatever barcode they call that shit. ..all u gotta do is save up 300 dollars for 100 cds. Once u sell those for 10 a pop or 15 a pop ur getting a profit and uc an do it again. I used 600 dollars for 200 cds. And i already got 4000 dollars back. My cd costs 20 dollars and its proffesionally pritned off of Disk Factory. THE major bundle which gives u a book on your album. This is probably the smartest way of getting people to be lie dayum....This dude is serious about his shit. And also have a T-Shirt with your rap name on it...It helps out.
    test
  18. Snuggles

Snuggles New Member

Looks Like Solid Shit
    test
  19. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

while those poeple might be hot on here.. where poeple look for more intellegent and creative styles... people in the street ain trying to hear that shit. i listen to everything.. and i try to put the shit i listen to, onto my boys, and basically the only people who i can say have universal appeal (even if they arnt 100 percent polished as an mc), and should be signed by now, is peter parker, warbux, anubis, illchris, and deacon. im not saying there arnt tons of other sick heads.. but those are the poeple, that without a shadow of a doubt, if i play it to some backpacking nerd rap lovers, to street heads, or just ur average i bump watevers on the radio type head, they feel it to the T. u gotta realize to most people.. this whole online music world..where them cats are virtually famous, where this whole other style of music.. doesnt exist. no one but people wanting to perform or create rap music comes to these boards. hardcore fans that want to produce, dj, rap, sumthing. very rarely do u find people that are jus here trying to listen to shit, with nothing to give. these cats make rap for other rappers basically.. you cant do that if you wanna be successful.. you have to have a sound thats universally liked... no ones gunna laugh at cool edit jokes and punchlines about ya girl going down more than soundclick.
    test
  20. BeatSlangaz

BeatSlangaz 08 is not your year!

Yeah but why not do both? Sell mixtapes for a dollar than sell your proffessionally done album for 10 bucks. By the time you sell all those mixtapes a ton of people will know your name and will be anticipating an album release. Well thats if your nice with it. And on top of that just shout out the release date of your proffessional release on your dollar mixtapes.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.