'The Proposition'...and a big 'fuck you' to Brahman

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Ethan Albright, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

This movie was such garbage and a waste of my time.

You should post an apology to everyone that rented it after you suggested it.

you nailed it with CoG... you dropped the ball on this one.

absolutely horrible.
    test
  2. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

*** menaz, i know you have entered, but PLEASE don't say anything! we've been through it too many times! let it gooo! or, say something if you must. i'll not respond this time ***

[funny], whose alias?

anyway, my sincere apologies

i consider it to be the best film i've seen thus far in 2006 ( #2 - water, #3 - little miss sunshine, #4 - the illusionist, #5 - the devil wears prada ) and a fine work of art that will stand the test of time

i knew it wouldn't be for everyone, but i wanted it to at least be given a try
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

my niggas:

"great film, appreciate it brahman" - TruKaos

"great film....the cinematography was great...this could have been a silent film and it would still have its impact with all the great cinematography and directing....." - LiQuiD6

"this was a great picture.....good call brah" - The Jeus

"Shit's really ill." - Viktor Vaughn

"great movie" - The Prince
    test
  4. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

ah, i see who you are... nevermind

honestly, how can you call it "garbage" or "absolutely horrible"? i can understand if it wasn't your cup of tea since it's slow and sparse in content, but it gets too many other facets of filmmaking down pat to be called "garbage". explain a little bit more why you didn't like it.

even menaz who's been on my case, before he got happy after seeing the departed and went hyperbolic with his position on the proposition, had this to say:

"to each his own! So in MY opinion, Not a crap movie, but not a very watchable either.

meaning once was enough!"
    test
  5. teq the decider

teq the decider sexual predator

I heartily endorse this thread.
    test
  6. Ethan Albright

I had high expectations..... thats why it's so horrible.

Maybe because the lack of plot?.... The lack of.....anything interesting the entire 1 hr and 44 minutes it played?

seriously brahman... why was this movie even made?....for pretentious fucks to act like they 'know' movies and appreciate something nobody else could possibly enjoy?

There was no point. Entire movie.... pointless..... it was like one long drawn out scene that would be the BASE for a good movie.

Anyone could've wrote this story. Ok.... Captain says go kill brother to save little brother... but you're a supreme pussy and you're only good at getting your ass kicked while your brother isn't impressive either to be such a 'badass' in the film...... so you puss out. Then little brother gets killed..... then when it matters least, you kill big brother......end movie.

what....the....fuck....?

I was ready to turn it off 30 minutes into it due to how boring and slow moving it was.....plus the pointless weird random shit in the movie to make critics feel artsy always annoys me....

BUT

i kept it going.... telling my wife, maybe it'll get better.... i'm hoping it'll pick up and something will happen.....

but it never did.....

the best way to describe the entire movie...... pointless. I don't get it. Why did someone pay to have basically almost 2 hrs worth of an opening scene to what should've went much deeper?....

Some people will pretend it was good. Those are the same people that pretend to enjoy Tarantino and other shit producers that can't create a story and make it flow..... make's them feel different.

This was bad. Sorry for the rant, but I'm really pissed that I wasted one of my netflix picks on it..... could've watched 'Robots' and seen a much better story.
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

it's thematic and mood/concept-driven as opposed to narrative or dialogue-driven, and films of this kind are often railed as "pointless" or "being one long opening scene for 2 hours"

filmmaking is a form of art, and people have different preferences in art... some narrower and more specific/exclusive than others. some can appreciate art with lots of happenings while still liking minimalism. some can't stand minimalism altogether. some want only minimalism and prefer the meditative mood over the "hustle n bustle". some like minimalism, and find certain forms of minimalism to be nothingness. we're all different. i respect your opinion.

i could go on to explain how you're wrong with a lot of what you're saying about the proposition in particular, but i'm not going to defend my taste in films on this board anymore.

i liked it (loved it, in fact), and i know i'm not "pretending" or trying to "feel smart"... if i were, i wouldn't have introduced it to so many in the first place in hopes that they would be moved and find the same value. so, i'd assume many others who liked it similarly aren't "pretending" either, neither the many critics or general masses who are singing praises on rottentomatoes, imdb, and youtube.

reading these negative attacks on the film makes me go back and feel bad with how i reacted to lost in translation using the same type of criticisms, [funny]. i still don't like that film and probably never will, but i'm now willing to admit that maybe there were things about it that went over my head.
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i've got a question on something other than the quality of this film, though

how can you say that, because a writer prefers to write a sparse and reflective piece like this, he/she isn't capable of writing a "story" (what i assume you to mean a narrative with more meat and traditional plot/flow)? a story that can be easilly duplicated being brought to the screen doesn't subtract from the film's value either... films are more than just about stories. i can whip up a similar story, yeah, but turning it into a well-made film is another matter.

i will say that you saying that is straight up moronic and shows a lack of cinematic understanding... not you simply disliking the film.

i remember teq showed me something maddox wrote attacking david lynch fans saying they essentially liked "pretty pictures streaming across the screen". well... YEAH! sometimes, that's what is preferred. they are called motion pictures, and sometimes more emphasis placed on pictures & sounds over words is welcomed.

david lynch has proven he can write straightforward narrative with the elephant man, and quentin tarantino proved it with true romance. i'm sure nick cave has it in him as well, but i haven't peeped any of his other screenwriting work.
    test
  9. Ethan Albright

I don't consider movies an art. Just as a book is not art.

....this coming from someone that describes himself as an artist in atleast 4 ways.

I can't buy that people watch movies just to see pretty pictures and couldn't care less about the actual storyline. (as you'd have to do with this film)
    Most of us watch movies to be entertained.... to get caught up in the story.... movies like this don't allow you to do either.

sure, I suppose it looked good. But you can sprinkle gold dust on a poop-log and it'll still be shit.

I just can't understand how someone could enjoy this. You couldn't even get a feel for the characters... thats how badly it was done. Most movies draw you in and allow you to connect with the characters so inside you feel a certain way about their course throughout the movie..... here it was like.... ok....mikey's dead. But we don't even know who mikey is other than dude's brother that we know nothing about aswell.... the big brother....didn't show us anything on him either.

Usually, I'll say cool.... you liked it, I didn't. But with this....man.... i don't know how anyone could like it....in any way. Really had nothing going for it.
    test
  10. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^Maybe the problem is your expectations?

Why not try juding the movie on its own terms instead of yours?

I still plan to see it, Brahman, just been real busy and haven't got around to it yet.
    test
  11. SadistiK1

SadistiK1 Washingtonian

I liked it... Not as much as Id hoped I would, but I liked it.
    test
  12. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

movies aren't art?

WOW!

i don't care what you describe yourself as, "artist" or not... that opinion is ridiculous, and working in different outlets makes your opinion on an outlet you're not a part of no more valid than anyone else who's not in that outlet or any other. hell, even if you were a part of it, it still doesn't necessarily validate the statement any further. sergio leone or akira kurosawa himself could think of movies as "non-art", and he'd still be wrong.

is painting art?

within that mode of expression, scapes are created visually. movies can be like paintings while giving motion to the images and adding an additional soundscape.

right off the bat, i can't take anything you say about films seriously if you don't respect it as an art

-----​

(1) people can and do watch movies paying attention more to the visuals than the storyline at times. i enjoy looking at paintings in an art gallery and often fantasize about what motivates the subjects therein and how they'd interact. movies, in a way, bring that fantasy to life for paintings you've never seen. so, i like to imagine what a piece of artwork could have served as the genesis for any given film.

(2) i, for one, was entertained and sucked in by the story in the proposition. not going to bother explaining why, because then i'd be defending my tastes, which i said i wouldn't do.

(3) you not getting a feel for the characters wasn't a result of the movie being "badly done". it was intentionally crafted that way. again, i'm not going to explain any further, because you seem to have missed the point. and, yes, there was a point.

maybe the jeus may want to put forth the effort in explaining it a bit to you since he seems to have really nailed the concepts, theme, and symbolism down better than i have. he probably might not want to after reading that you said movies "aren't art", [funny]
    test
  13. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i felt an emptiness in my stomach as i read this

my NIGGA!
    test
  14. Ethan Albright

SOME paintings are art.

I suppose okay... I'll go back on my word... some movies can be art....or...artistic.

This is the perfect example of some asshole spashing paint on a canvas and selling it.

but as it is in the art galleries across the world..... some people buy it.

Acting is an art... i've never really looked at producing as such, but yeah.... makes sense. This guy took a dump on the canvas on this one though.
    test
  15. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

well, even though i had no problems with the script, i'd have to say the canvas (direction, cinematography, and acting) was near-perfect. john hillcoat did a fine job in crafting the film. if a dump was taken anywhere, it'd have to be nick cave on the screenplay.

i still disagree with that assessment tho. most of its opponents are pointing out the fact that we don't know the history or motivations of the characters, but i didn't see it as an issue. i liked simply taking the situation for what it was, reading their body language, observing the nuances in their acting to understand their character, and forming in my own mind where they had been previously. another critic pointed out how arthur burns was supposed to be some "big bad dude" but is always commenting on sunsets or quoting books/poems and said this was a "flaw" or "hole". nonsense. some of history's most evil and murderous men have been deeply into the arts.
    test
  16. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

The "is film art" debate has been going on since the inception of the medium, but since art is fluid in it's definition, it is impossible to state absolutely what is or isn't art. As a society, we've seemed to adopt films as both art and commodity. Film is a medium, so it's impossible to say film is art, rather you judge by the output. In the same way painting can be art or commerce, photography can be art (Ansel Adams) or just a record of history (most photos you have at home) or occasionally both (Matthew Brady), music can be art or commerce (Mozart vs. the jingle for the local furniture store). Point is, I personally don't think a medium itself can be art. Film can be used to create a work of art, or newsreel footage. Metallurgy can be used to create art too, but that doesn't mean all metal work is art.

I won't even bother discussing the movie, enough has been written about it, and you can find my other posts about it on this site somewhere. I thought it was an excellent film, but if you don't see it that way, so be it. I've only changed my opinion about a film once after reading a critique, that being Michael Powell's The Red Shoes, the review written by Roger Ebert, and I certainly am not the writer he is (what with him being a Pulitzer winner and all)
    test
  17. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

lmao
    test
  18. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

someone on imdb wrote:

Hey, I don't mean to suggest that anyone who enjoyed this film is wrong, but I want to log in at least one vote in the negative. This film, in my opinion, was lousy. I regret watching it (I watched it all--I can't turn off even the worst of movies). The entire film was like watching one of those vile torture films from Sadam Hussein's regime in Iraq. Absolutely sick, and utterly pointless. But if you enjoyed it, more power to you

lol
    test
  19. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

^ yeah, represents one of the main attacks launched by the critics who didn't like it

"too violent"

most of em were savvy enough to see the point of the film, so they didn't foolishly call it "pointless" but they didn't appreciate the violence and thought it was unnecessary
    test
  20. Ethan Albright

there wasn't that much violence....

a dudes head exploded, but it was so fast and so....odd looking that it didn't have that realness that usually bothers me when it comes to gore.

other than that, i cant recall much.

it was a western technically... so violence is expected, and i was disappointed due to the lack of it mostly. I figured i'd atleast be entertained at some fighting here and there but it was very sparse.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.