the proposition (2006)

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Lee Van McQueen, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Van McQueen

Lee Van McQueen ♣aka. Steve Cleef

"you must see this film... even if you think you "don't like westerns", because its deeply philosophical look at fraternal ties has universal applicability and its delivery has a unique revisionist stylish flair all its own" - lee van mcqueen

usually whenever today's films get vaunted and are placed besides the bona fide classics of old (not the films that are simply loved for being old), i get highly skeptical... simply because most directors back in the day had the respect for nuance and their audiences' patience, something a lot of today's filmmakers lack

so, i chuckled as i read the reviews saying "the proposition" was worthy of side-by-side placement with the masterworks of the greats like peckinpah and leone, but i received the shock of my life...

son... no, SON! listen to me... *ties your hands 'n ankles, grabs you by the shoulders, and violently throws your ass in a creaky wooden chair in front a wooden desk and stomps spurred boot in top of it in front of you wearing a stone-cold grimace*. this movie KICKS MAJOR GUTWAGON TAIL!!!!! it was said by one writer to be "the best western since 'unforgiven'"... hahahahaha [funny] [funny] [funny]! "unforgiven"? yes, "unforgiven" was sick, but this beat it on the draw by a whopping 0.60 seconds.

nick cave, the aussie rocker-turned-screenwriter, obviously went to the town library, dusted off those books, and did his homework as he strikes morricone's ecstasy of gold with his first film pro-ject. many a night, i would be on my knees praying to that angelic goddess voice from the "once upon a time in the west" opening theme for the spaghetti western style of filmmaking to be resurrected with respect to the legends but an added new twist, and it just may have with this film. oh my goodness, there's so much i can say about this artfully savage and poetic powerhouse of an epic, but i have no idea where to begin.

- guy pearce (memento) offers up a bulls-eye of a performance conjuring up the spirit of clint eastwood's monco, blondie, and man with no name with his own aussie swagger
    - john hurt (john merrick in "the elephant man") is deliciously devilish as the bounty hunter who speaks with such scholastic shakespearean eloquence
    - ray winstone's brilliantly burly and grizzled presence as the police captain
    - the australian outback provides a great off-color backdrop for western proceedings, and the cinematography captures it lovely
    - john hillcoat directs in a leone manner but doesn't completely bite the maestro's style
    - a kickass aboriginee bandit who resembles the spag western legend gian maria volonte in the gang that's being hunted
    - etc., etc., etc.

you must see this film... even if you think you "don't like westerns", because its deeply philosophical look at fraternal ties has universal applicability and its delivery has a unique revisionist stylish flair all its own

so, yeah... i like this film. a lot. best film i've seen this year thus far.
    test
  2. Lee Van McQueen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ the two geniuses, nick cave and john hillcoat
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i can't wait for this film to get its wide release

both mainstream and arthouse audiences are going to EAT THIS UP!

destined to go down in cinema history...
    test
  4. TruKaos

TruKaos I'll Box Your Ears

i remember seeing ebert & roeper review this, and it sounded great. i'll be seeing this when its released.
    test
  5. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i have only one minor complaint about it, but it's because i have my own little quirks... imo, a western score should be lyricless... and, if lyrics must be sung, they should be sung in an offbeat way (ie. a drunkard in a saloon crowing with beautiful ugliness, etc). not in an enya-esque voice like one of the pieces in this film. just felt kinda weird and out-of-place. could grow on me later though...

and, there's no explanation of what happened to one of the side characters that got short but moving screentime

small complaints that don't take much away from the film, but damn i wish those kinks had been ironed
    test
  6. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wtf @ me forgetting about danny freakin' huston (21 grams, the constant gardener)!!!

his performance is noteworthy as well
    test
  7. x - calibur

x - calibur Guest

sounds serious..

ill have to check it out
    test
  8. Lee Van McQueen

i can't believe it only has 85% at rottentomatoes. it's a 90%'er at least.

let's look at some of these idiotic negative quotes:

"In this godforsaken land, the good, the bad, and the ugly are all pretty much the same." -- Thomas Delupa, BOULDER WEEKLY

looks like someone isn't familiar with the authenticity and tell-it-like-it-was spaghetti western tradition... go back to your fake old school american westerns where the good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black outfits that unrealistically look like they just came from the dry cleaners.

"Over the Top Down Under." -- Michael Booth, DENVER POST

you were just looking for a laconically snappy clever quote

"If there remains any doubt that the MPAA's Ratings Board grants screen violence more leeway than sex, The Proposition effectively quashes such uncertainty." -- Brent Buckalew, FILMSTEW.com

soft

"Hillcoat and Cave clearly have astute ideas to impart, but their passion for gore and grime overwhelms all intellectual activity." -- Bob Strauss, LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

coming soon to theatres: "broketypewriter news office" starring brent buckalew and bob strauss

what a horrible criticism

"The quality of the acting, Caves hellfire score and the heavy atmospherics of the directing merely dress up a cliche: Violence leads to more violence." -- Kyle Smith, NEW YORK POST

and, it did a damn good job of dressing up that cliche... how can you fault it for being about a cliche and ignore all the positives you exclaimed? it's only their 2nd pro-ject (1st big venture) together.

yeah, i snore whenever i see photos of beyonce or eva longoria, because they're shot to death... however, seeing them in eye-catching attire is always a pleasant thing, will get my positive attention, and make me forget that i've seen em way too many times

there are more out there, but that's basically where most of the negativity this film is receiving originates...
    test
  9. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

region 2 dvd cover:

[​IMG]

my GOD what a film!

i can't contain my excitement over this! my fingers are crossed in hopes for this film's success, so a whole new western sub-genre can be born in australia

what should this brand of western filmed out in the picturesque expanses of the outback be called?

kookaburra western?
    kangaroo western?
    outback western?
    dingo western?
    test
  10. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wombat western it is

this film is sooooo [​IMG]

i can't stop thinking about it!!!

my GOD, what a film!
    test
  11. Teqzi||a

Teqzi||a yellow-bellied coward

shut the fuck up you fucking fucker.
    test
  12. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

okay, i'll stop... i was a little too schoolgirlish there for a while

the novelty has worn off but not the appreciation (my GOD, what a film!)

i have a feeling you'd like jellen lamb, john hurt's character, teq
    test
  13. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

I just saw it right now, i got it after this thread and i'll say

it was pretty good

a tad slow for my personal taste

i was IMPRESSED with guy pierce, besides memento the movies i've seen him in like time machine, ect were terrible as were his acting, but he really was great in this

overall a decent flick...the ending...well i saw that comming a mile away but it was still good
    test
  14. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

it's pretty much a staple of the western genre that you can see the ending coming

i hope you didn't take points away from it for that, because it was done very poetically

and, all the "slow" moments were powerful to me
    test
  15. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

do u man, if u like it hype it up

but for me it was good but didnt live up to how hype u are over it

but for sure a good flick and not a waste of time to check out
    test
  16. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

you must have no soul then

haha j/k

i'm glad you were able to enjoy it as much as you did

i know most ppl won't like it like i do since i have a such an irrational love for spaghetti westerns and this style of filmmaking

where do you live?
    test
  17. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

fuuuucccckiiiing yessssssssssss

'the proposition' inches up to 86% overall and 89% cream of the crop

surging towards 90% as it deserves to!!!
    test
  18. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

im seeing this later today

it better kick ass, brahman. or i take your head.
    test
  19. Fi-lapsis

Fi-lapsis New Member

Saw this a couple months ago, as someone who never really was a western fan I was very taken with this movie. Everything from the pace, the acting and the score reflected the slow, burning, hostile environment of the out back....and the slow but sure build to the climax is worth the wait.

Yeah it was definately impressive.
    test
  20. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wrd @ fy-lactic

haha, i hope you find it fulfilling and worthwhile

if you don't, know that i was recommending it out of love and a heartfelt hope that you'd have a rewarding moviegoing experience
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.