The oldest living things

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Radium, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radium

Radium f k

some guy composed a photo gallery of the oldest living things on earth

Rachel Sussman:The Oldest Living Things in the World

some of the more interesting ones include:

Populus tremuloides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

trees (aspens) that can live upwards to 80,000+ years

some actinobacteria from Siberia that have existed for 400,000 years

and lastly and most interestingly

[​IMG]

Turritopsis nutricula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a jellyfish creature that can regenerate itself post puberty

which would be equivalent to us growing up and turning say, 17 or 18 (any age period when we as humans would be most ready and willing to mate/reproduce) and then transforming back into 2-3 year olds as soon as we did that

thus making us (and the Turritopsis Nutricula) biologically immortal

pretty interesting that nature is already doing this with its own ingenuity. just imagine humans tapping into a similar mechanism through the development of some type of technology that could basically follow suit and do the same with our bodies

that would literally change everything in our society
    test
  2. Mcg-

Mcg- New Member

crazyness
    surely some biotech person is trying to isolate its genes
    test
  3. Radium

Radium f k

test
  4. FactUnderground

FactUnderground Eff You

I read about this Jelly a minute ago. You better believe there's a ton of scientists all over this one; mostly trying to exploit the findings for money. Very interesting shit.
    test
  5. Joro

Joro New Member

Obviously haven't learned anything from Hollywood, these supposed scientists. Living forever in our bodies only leads to tragi-comedy....see "Death Becomes Her" with Bruce Willis and Merryl Streep...i think it's Streep.....

It's better to die and go up and down the ladders of heaven and hell .... mixes things up ......
    test
  6. SIZZLA

SIZZLA New Member

man or should i say "the Original man" was created to live forever. but, the mind that we have now does not allow us to do this. its and evil mind. relative to that evil is death.
    test
  7. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

test
  8. Radium

Radium f k

Riz since you brought it up

what do you think of this:
    Pro-aging trance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and how, supposing that ADG (or somebody like him) succeeds in ending aging/death, this affects the basic elements of existentialism

without aging/death

now what?
    test
  9. Joro

Joro New Member

Not only that, Adam and Eve could talk to animals! Eve didn't freak out when the snake slid up to her and talked about apples.....but today, if women even SEE a mouse in the same room they're screaming and shit. smh

Anyways.....on a similar note.....I've noticed that every day my body is becoming more and more "glorified"....sometimes I look at my hands these days, and parts of my face in the miror, and my flesh has this ethereal quality ....I think eventually I'll completely ascend to a glorified state and I won't even need this natural body anymore.
    test
  10. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

He's probably had countless people tell him that death is the one thing science could never change. Existentialism says that death is unavoidable, and that's true at the moment, but if that were to somehow change then the theory would have to change with it.

What's interesting is that he says he's in the business of extending our lifespans through disease prevention, etc... but not of getting rid of death all together. He's not proposing that he'll be able to stop a car from killing you when it runs you over. If people become potential of living for thousands of years, then death would probably become an even bigger issue.

But if we somehow become immortal and death simply wasn't a problem for us anymore, then I think the other existential concerns - and especially meaninglessness - would come to the forefront.
    test
  11. SIZZLA

SIZZLA New Member

yes, those are the oldest creatures but, Melanin is the oldest living thing in the universe...
    test
  12. Radium

Radium f k

i think so

and in fact it becomes the number 1 problem to human life

when danger/death is removed life simply becomes a long chain of hedonistic games (basically what existentialism is: a big long hedonistic game)

what kind of society does this look like? what happens to our culture
    test
  13. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Am I the only one that has absolutely no desire to live forever?

I really don't fear death, I almost look forward to it. It's the only part of life myself and everyone else really has absolutely no clue about.

In the famous last words of Timothy Leary, "Why not?"
    test
  14. Radium

Radium f k

everything wants to exist
    test
  15. .:Pain:.

Existence is relative...
    test
  16. Radium

Radium f k

how dare you counter my zingy punch-line with opposing counter zingy punch-line
    test
  17. Joro

Joro New Member

"Existence is relative"....LOL

relative to WHAT? Things that don't exist? Things that don't exist aren't relative to ANYTHING .... you're funny tho ....

"With their head in their hands // there's only one thing that the dead understand: // that it's better to be ALIVE" - Kweli
    test
  18. .:Pain:.

Lol you started it.
    Existence is relative to whatever is existing, stupid.

Thoughts exist. Ideas exist. Dead people exist, energy cannot be destroyed, thus the energy within them exists.

You are so fucking dumb it's almost incomprehensible at times...
    test
  19. Joro

Joro New Member

"Existence is relative to whatever is existing".......?

So...assuming I exist.....I exist relative to existence? Existence and I are separate entities that can be compared.... and observations on our relationship, if there is any, can be made?

So if I'm not a part of existence .... if I am separate from it so that I can be compared to it .... that must mean I don't exist.

How then am I typing this shit at 10:59pm Wednesday October something 2009? Right now I'm watching Pardon The Interruption of TV by the way, in case you doubt me. They're talking about Kate Hudson and A-Rod.

Anyways....if you are in fact right .... holla at existence for me, tell it I've got a few things to say to that piece of shit.
    test
  20. .:Pain:.

I simply refuse to believe you are this stupid. If, indeed, you are, I greatly overestimated your intelligence...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.