The Official Growing Thread

Discussion in '420Lounge' started by SiFu, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

I think its a good idea (stolen from toker) to have a thread where growers/potential growers may be able to discuss different techniques as well as school some newbies on the basics (as skill and knowledge will only come with time and experience!). Obviously we can all pick up a book and read it but theres nothing like a laymans explanation for easy digestion.

I for one am interested in different setups. Are any of these "herb" growing systems sold on the internet any good? How to sex a plant?

Personally I want to grow enough to last me until the next crop is ready, and to perhaps (with enough knowledge gained) experiment with breeding or crossing myself. I think it will be a fun hobby!!

So.......if any of you have any information that people who want to grow could use, feel free to jump in and school some of us kids on the basics namean!! Or if you have any specific questions ask them respectfully and you may receive an answer from someone who knows init.....

PEACE
    test
  2. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

the Female will have white hairs on the stem an shit I believe.
    test
  3. .SOBE.

.SOBE. hell no

i would like some basic knowledge on growing as well...
    test
  4. LRG829

LRG829 New Member

test
  5. liquid`acid

liquid`acid gods busy can I help you?

nah hair color isnt sex specific

for identifying males look a the base stem

the top three nods (where it branches out) there should be two lil hairs on each side, if all three are growen straight like || or away from eachother like )( then its almsot gauranteed female. but if any or all three are goin towards each other to cross like an X then separate em and keep an eye on em cuz they most likely gunna be male, what yer looken for to confirm that its male is lil tiny itsy bitsy ball sacks that will develope a couple weeks later right behind the hairs at each of the nods
    test
  6. SiFu

^^Yea man, sexing the plant is highly important, coz if you grow females and males together dont they produce seeds or something??

You got a setup Liquid? Like I say I wanna grow enough to last harvest to harvest, I dont smoke as much any more (remember, I quit but have slowly gotten back into it hahaha).....I'm thinking like 2-3 plants, if each plant gives me like 1/2oz then I should be ok (not sure what to expect yield wise either tho!?!?).....what you saying man!?!?

PEACE
    test
  7. liquid`acid

^nah i dont got a setup, growing has always been a pain my ass ima deler thru n thru. i know a few growers and ive done it befor, its good for quick cash $20/hr trimming and i get shit right from the source.

i figure go with 4 plants, that way you can creat a lil box under/around yer light, id aim a lil higher then 1/2oz a plant too unless you really dont smoke much, cuz even with the quickest growing plant ive ever heard of u gotta make 1oz-1.5oz last you 3 months or more

you still got those bags for maken hash? those will come in handy for all yer trimming n shit . . . who knows maybe even run a couple extra plants and make hash with the bud :O, ive seen that befor 5lbs of top notch shit turned into like 2oz-3oz of hash that seriously fucked you up

oh n yeah, male + female plants = seeded female wich sucks unless yer looken for seeds
    test
  8. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

u could always just throw them into 12/12 and sex them that way.. they will show after a cpl days or so so just watch them.. then u can toss the females back into vegg if u want.

if your tryin to last from harvest to harvest u gotta figure out how long it will take til next harvest and calculate how much u smoke per day.. that will tell u how much u need to harvest to last u..

perpetual grows can be done every 2 weeks, some sooner so later..
    test
  9. SiFu

How long do you veg for? From what I'm seeing elsewhere it seems to be about 2-4weeks!? So your saying flower light them after 2 weeks and sex them then!?

I just started to germinate some mexican seeds, just for an experiment I'm gonna see if they will grow in the canyon behind my house. I'll start them off then transplant them outdoors when they look healthy enough init. Not expecting too much from them but I wanna give it a go init!!!!

I've been looking at different grow boxes as well, I dont think I'm gonna buy any of these, I'll prolly just make one myself for cheaper but what do you guys think on these things:

http://www.sunlightsheds.com/turn_key_units.htm?gclid=CPCMqs3M1pMCFR4vagodCg81hQ

Or I'm even thinking of making one of these and growing lowryders:

http://www.sunlightsheds.com/turn_key_units.htm?gclid=CPCMqs3M1pMCFR4vagodCg81hQ

I'm thinking of lowryders coz they usually only grow 12" or so which means a height of 20" should be big enough, also they are autoflowering which means I can keep the lights on a 18/6 schedule, as well as a 8-9week turnaround. They say you can get upto 45g off one plant (although I'm thinking more like 20-45g is a decent range!?!? any opinions on that!?!?). So if I plant one, let it grow for 4weeks then plant the other and keep doing this I should be able to have 2 plants on the grow being harvested every 4weeks, and just under an ounce (conservative estimate) that should last till next harvest, I could also get a bigger tower and make room for 3 plants if I needed init. The benifit of this is that I dont need seperate rooms to keep the cycle going as a budding plant could use the same lighting schedule as a baby plant init!?!?

Anyway, any words!?!?

PEACE
    test
  10. toker

its variable dependent..seeds usually need more time than clones..
    - certain strains are slower veggers( they grow slower than the norm)
    -is it a sativa, cus u can usually go straight to 12/12 or flowering an skip veg.
    -how big do u want that plant to get (might like 1 strain more than others)
    - an so on..

u should just base it on your setup and needs.. 2-4 weeks should be good since u arent aiming for bushes/trees.. personally the longest id probably go is 2 months veg : ).. of course that requires alot of patience but its usually worth it if u have space/time.. why settle for grams when u can have pounds hahaha.. plus then u got tons for hash and edibles lol..

1 THING I SUGGEST U CHECK IS THE STRETCH.. THIS MIGHT DICTATE JUST HOW LONG U CAN VEG.. SOME PLANTS CAN STRETCH 3X THEIR SIZE.. SO YOUR 2 FT PLANT WILL BE AROUND 6FT ONCE DONE FLOWERING.. THE LAST THING U WANT TO BE DOING IS SUPERCROPPING B/C SOME PLANT IS OUTGROWING YOUR SETUP
    how u germinating the seeds.. or did u just plant them directly into soil??
    way too expensive.. u can buy a whole setup for that much money.. i know alot of people build their own type of cabinets.. check places like lowes or home depot.. i wanna say they have these type of things.. or u can build one from wood if you're the DIY type...

lowryder hehe.. i saw a lowryder x colombian gold bx.. another person that works on the lowryder lines is from Cali.. i see his work here an there.. those plant are some funny shit.. there was one that would only get to like 1 ft.. it justs looks so funny when u got small as plants that are fully budded.. short but compact..

theres only 1 thing i dont know bout.. thats the light cycle.. ive never messed with autoflowers so i dont know exactly how they work..i was under the impression that they will go into flower mode by themselves.. but i dont think it has anything to do with the light cycle.. so im not sure if your supposed to change it to 12/12 once they start or if u can just leave it in vegg mode and they still do their thing.. might wanna check that first

another thing u need to remember is u wont smoke the bud right after u harvest.. u still need to trim, dry, and cure..
    test
  11. SiFu

^^^Absolutely, I was thinking like 1-2weeks for drying (more leaning towards 1 from what I've read so far), I'm not sure about the curing stage, dont have much info on that.....

As far as autoflowering I've seen it suggested that you can keep them on a 24/0 schedule and they will flower just fine, probably with bigger yields however they recommend keeping them on a 18/6 cycle just because the plants seem to enjoy a bit of a rest, some say you can drop it down to 16/8 during flowering if you want for power concerns and it wont effect the yield much the same with dropping to 12/12 however you might get less yield, depends. But yea, basically autoflowering means you can keep the lighting the same and the plant will just do its thing regardless!! I saw seeds for sale for Diesel Ryder that looked pretty nice, however these plants can get quite a bit bigger than the 1ft, but they grow one main cola (ref: http://www.allsalvia.co.uk/lowryder.htm ) the lowryder #2 seems to be my best bet right now......Toker do you know the average yield of lowryder? Is it within the range I said?

The mexican seeds I'm germinating by putting them between some damp tissue, in a ziploc bag in the cupboard init, not sure if I was supposed to leave it in the sun or not!?!? I got a bunch of seeds so I can experiment quite a bit. After they germ I'm gonna put them in some small pots (some kind of mix of perlite and soil is recommended!?!? not sure about that tho, might just use normal high nutrient soil or something!?!?).....put them under a flourescent 24/0 for a week or 2, or until they look healthy, sex them, then transfer them to bigger pots, that I'll just bury in the canyon, then water them once a day (coz it gets hot out here)......not sure if they need direct sunlight or if I plant them in a place that is a little hidden (i.e. next to other bushes or trees where they might be shaded slightly) if that will effect them much.....but once I move them outdoors they should start to flower coz their light cycle woulda dropped no!?!?

I'm definitely gonna build my own set up, if I go for the lowryders (which is likely) I'll just build a smallish size box init.....

I'm wondering about lighting tho, obviously everyone seems to suggest the 400w HPS setup but I think thats too much for my needs, what about 150w Florescent, do you think that will be enough for some small plants!?!? What about if I wanna grow some Jack Herer or something would the florescent help me keep them quite small and short (hahaha I'm looking for the opposite of most growers, I want small and compact, not big and heavy namean!).....any advice is welcomed init....

PEACE
    test
  12. LRG829

LRG829 New Member

to cure all you have to do is put the bud in jars and put them in a cool dark place and open them up every day for about 15 mins and shake the buds around then close it up you can taste a diffrence in a week.
    test
  13. liquid`acid

SiFu dont do that ^ . . . . srry bro, theres a bit more to it then that, u close tho. let us kno when u get there and we guide u thru that too, u gunna need some string a screen n some big mason jars.

for the germ ida left em in the sunlight if i were you. after they sprout put em in lil cups with just a perlite/dirt mix but when yer putting them into the canyon try to put them into a spot that gets as much sunligh as humanly possible, you may even have/want to go cut down plants that are in the way.

when getting the holes ready make sure you have around 1/3 peat in the holes with a nice sprinkling of lime. this will help retain water and provide a lil bit of resistance for the plant making it stronger.

as for a light dont go with florencent, use HPS or hallogen. an for the growbox/room thingy replace the tinfoil with white plastic.

nope, they will get onboard with the O natural system. . . . hhhmm wait its a bit late in the season yeah maybe they will start flowering right away or in a couple weeks . . . just dont expect em to be done till like september or even october if they really hearty outdoor strain.

i have no idea what mexi is like but dont rule out the possibility of having 14ft monsters n if that happens u can tie em down to hide em and they still grow fine
    test
  14. SiFu

lol 14ft monsters, I dont know about all that, Southern Cali is all small bushes and shrubs and things, 14ft would stand out in any canyon!!! hahaha

Yea, I'll put them in like 10inch pots or something to start them off, but I am gonna use florescents tho, its just easier, for this experiment anyway, I'm doing it the bootleg way!!! hahaha Also I did read that floros are better for seedlings as they dont burn as hot and dry them out as quick, or give them too much juice, kinda just eases them into it so when they go outside they get all their power directly from the sun init.....

I was planning on moving them to a lot bigger pots and then just burying the pots, so the plant still grows in the pot (which will limit its size right!?!) and also when I water them it will retain some of the water coz it wont seep out through the sides, thats what I was planning to do anyway coz the canyon dirt and ground is quite hard and stoney, not nice soft soil.......

I aint expecting a lot from these I just wanna practice germinating and growing them to somewhat strong......I can wait till Sept or Oct no probs, I cant wait till these seeds split and I can get it moving!!

I'll keep y'all updated with my progress anyway......

PEACE
    test
  15. toker

4sho.. u still got a long ways til this stage so u got time to learn

diesel stretches a lot.. i think about 3x but thats pure diesel.. another thing bout diesel.. it fuckin reeks.. unless u got a carbon scrubber for the smell dont even attempt it.. not sure how much the diesel ryder smells..

i would assume your avg yeilds would be between 15- 35g.. but i have no experience with these.. only things i have is the info from others that have ran them.. it would probably come down to the type of setup..

i usually just use the paper towel method.. put the seeds in damp paper towel .. a lot of people say to put it on something warm like the hood of your light hahah.. or like a computer or a cable box.. something that puts off warmth.. but the key is not overwater them nor let them dry out.. but yours might be different.. let us know if they arent popping.. its usually 1-3 days for newer seeds...

soil.. thats all on you.. i dont know if your just gonna use whatever or go to some store.. sativas are kinda sensitive so dont go buying some hot soil.. basically dont get some soil thats high in nutes cus that will burn the seedlings..

perlite- try not to get the shit with lots of the powder dust crap..

dolomite lime- something u might wanna look into.. since i have no clue what kinda soil is being used nor do u have some way of checkin ph i suggest this.. its supposed to keep your soil ph balanced around 6 i beleive..

u could always force them to flower inside then put them outside.. maybe u should just start from 12/12 or 11/13 from the start.. or veg for a week or so then flower them inside.. then put back outside

maybe.. cfls work.. the only thing is they dont have much range.. like the light only works within a certain distance.. so if u have a large plant the light might not be reaching the bottom..

cfls are good for keepin nodes tight an compact plants..

not sure if it would do a good job on the jack herer though.. jack can get big.. it would depend on the way u place them and how much wattage

BTw there are hps lights smaller than a 400..
    test
  16. toker

im not sure if burying the actual pot is a good idea.. the plant will eventually outgrow that pot probably.. i thin ku could stunt the growth that way..

go grab a water trough from some horses or something.. put them bitches in that..

i would pop some beans with u but i gotta move soon.. not fun having to move setups during the actual grow : (

but i got some extra shit so i might just do it anyways. just veg them for a long time or something
    test
  17. SiFu

I just planted the seeds, or two of them I'll plant the rest later, I'll let you know if they sprout init!! Ain't got my hopes up coz its bootleg an that.....

PEACE
    test
  18. liquid`acid

yeah sifu, i wouldnt bury the pots either unless yer getting the kind that will just degrade into dirt over a couple weeks in the ground, they will stunt the growth tho if thats what yer looken for. im not 100% on sizes but i you use 15 gallon containers it'll allow for a good range of size, like 6ft-15ft. i hate to say it but ive never crossed paths with a small outdoor plant, just remember you can force em to grow horizontal instead of verticle.

maye sure you use the lime n the peat tho, cuz they do a bit more then help retain water

n ya most ppl i kno use a florecent for seedlings/clones

oh yeah and try to minimize transplanting as much as possible, pot plants to not enjoy it at all.
    test
  19. SiFu

well out of the two seeds so far one of them has sprouted nice and green looking the other one looks a bit burnt out or some, I'll give another day or two and I'm gonna plant the rest of the seeds, they've germinated but the 'root' I guess it is is way longer than the first two I planted, I wonder if that will make a difference!?!?

Nah I'm defo gonna plant them in pots, the soil out here wouldnt support them I'm sure....I read that every 1/2 gallon in a pot equals about a 1ft of growth so if I get like 2gallon or 1-1/2 gallon pots or something 3-4ft plants should be ok for my needs!!! I need to get some better lighting tho I'm just running a floro using a nightlamp hahaha gotta get some fixtures and whatnot, fuck it tho its just for an experiment nothing too serious, work out a few kinks and then start proper.

so I'm thinking I should be able to transplant them then plant them outside in like 2weeks, sound about right!?!? Or should I wait till later!?!?

Also, Tpker was saying something bout putting them on flower before putting them outside, will this help them flower quicker then just going from 24/0 to outside!?!?! Or will it help them adjust better!?! I was gonna change the lights to 16/8 before moving them outside just so they dont get so shocked or something......

PEACE
    test
  20. SiFu

Anyone know how to post pictures?? Let me know if you do, I'll do a photo blog on my operation init!! hehehe

PEACE
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.