THE NEW TRIBUNE: tournament edition

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Vern Acular, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern Acular

Vern Acular 12x RSTL Champ

THE NEW TRIBUNE
    Special Tourney Addition

INTRO
    NORTH
    SOUTH
    EAST
    WEST
    TALENTS TOP 10
    RAPTERS TOP 5 BREAKDOWN
    OUTRO

INTRO

welcome topical heads to a special tournament edition of the new tribune, after one round of 64 competitors, with only 15 no-shows, IMO the start of the tourney was very successful than I thought it would be, with tourney reputation around the net in regards to no-show, I was only thinking 50% would show but I was surprised/impressed for the turnout, out of the top 3 seeds in each division, only one #1 seed is gone due to NS, one #2 seed is gone due to under-estimation, and one #3 seed is out due to NS, the rest of the field is looking pretty good, a lot of lower ranked seeds made round 2 due to NS, the only major upset was #15 everkleer over #2 awedishin in the EAST bracket, my elite 8 predictions are all still in, and yes I predicted WW3 to NS, so he isn’t in my elite 8, anyway, im happy with the results, now lets see how everyone did

NORTH

in a bracket including omen, art writaz, and poetiqutte as the top 3 seeds, everything seems to be going according to planned in this bracket, all but 3 of the 16 seeds showed in round 1, there was one close match between the 2 ladies of the RSTL honey boo, and erykah caine which resulted in a tie, landing them both spots in round 2, lets take a look at what we have to look forward to this week

omen vs erykah caine

this match everyone is already predicting to be an easy win for omen, but don’t count out ms. caine cause she’s more talented than what everyone is giving her credit for, but when it comes down to ome, well he’s just omen, this guy has talent and there’s no doubt that he is one of the favorites to win this thing, but fresh off a tie in round one with honey boo, this is win or go home time, and EC knows that she has to bring it, this should be good, stay tuned

art writaz vs anaphora

art is good, bottom line, and he can make it to the final 4 if he tries every week, but his opponent anaphora is one of the leagues top prospects of up and coming story tellers, currenty ranked #2 in the league, he has a shot to pull of his biggest win of his RSTL career, it would be without a doubt an upset or will it, IMO these guys both can win, and I cant really give my prediction on who will, cause it’s that close, I feel this will go down to the wire, if not a tie, I predict the winner winning by 1

poetiquette vs headless verseman

jweaks is a topical god, and I really love his style of writing, im glad to see him back, hopefully he’ll stick around after the tourney cause I love his style, as for his opponent I like his verses when he tries and shows, if headless put effort in his verses he’d be one of the best of the league IMO, but no one can concur with that statement cause he comes and goes so much he never stays long enough to make an impact, but I tell you this if he beats jweaks, it will be an impact, and people will know he’s for real, good luck to both

formal logic vs honey boo

aka as war, formal logic is about to face, one of the most respected females ever on rm, honey boo, 2 very different styles going head to head for a spot in the sweet 16, I’d rather have a honey boo than a formal logic when it comes to the word sweet, but only talent will tell, whoever decides they want to win more will get this match easy, blow out style, it wont be close cause one will underestimate the other

SOUTH

misskeydaqueen vs namix

here’s a pretty even match imo, she’s not the best of the ladies, but I do believe she can bring heat when she wants to, and maybe that comment I just made will give her a reason to prove herself, although she’s getting asecond shot after getting only one vote against dmetrius last week, but her opponent is namix, a possible sleeper, he gets his reputation from being an ill battler around here, but what can he do topically, in last weeks showing, he proved he can do a topical, but he needs to bring more than that if he want to make it to the later rounds, also giving another chance due to vote, both have an opportunity to waltz into the sweet 16, but the question is who wants it more

god extentions vs ssenlli

aka trap to most of you, god extentions is trying to get his name known, although he has already done so, he’s just came short, making it to the 2-4 spots in the league but never achieving the actual goal of being called champ, he’s out with a purpose to become the summer tourney champ, but what stands in his way is illness spelled backwards for those that didn’t know, ssenlli is amongst the great in the league, he’s done his thing in the past during the times of black jesus just to name one, and he is fully capable of winning this and making it to the final 4, but the real question here is, who would be considered the underdog, if they both bring it, this will be good

ill-logic vs 5starre

aka naughty nebzer ill is one of the nicest cats in the tourney right now, when he wants to be, I feel this will be an easy match for him even with an average verse, but don’t count out 5starre, moving up in recent weeks and getting a little better, is there an upset in the making, I doubt it, but if it were to happen, 5 would definitely get recognition, and it would be the biggest upset in the tourney

richard corey vs harlequin

aka rapter2k harlequin has a come a long way from the first time I saw him post, he’s even landed a spot on the current rstl mod roster, but does he have what it takes to pull up an upset on what everyone believes to be the favorite to win it all, richard corey, a champ and the winner of the champ of champs tourney, this guy is unbelievable, everytime he writes something I cant help but get excited cause I know it’s gonna be a good story, there’s people here that can beat richard, but they have to bring their capital A game, unfortunately, I don’t think harl can pull it off, he’s pretty good, but rich is like whoa!!!​
    test
  2. Vern Acular

EAST

tha talent vs half n half

aka khoi from the rstl, this guy is good, and if anyone can give talent a hard time, it will be him, every week he gets better, and after destroying cerial last week, he’s still got a full tank of gas and aint slowing down, therefore his opponent talent, one of the most respected rstl heads still posting has his work cut out for him, but talent aint scared, never that, talent will find a way imo to overcome my predictions and live up to the leagues predictions and sweep half, or will he, never know, wait and see

sequel vs dmetrius

2 shit talkers with 1 goal, to shut the other one up, this will be one of the better battles this week imo, but will they both bring their A game, please do, cause im looking forward to this battle, I wanna say sequel should get this, but dmetrius has surprised me in the past, bottom line if they both show, this will be a classic, mark my word, come with it fellas

liquidlife vs username

already a contraversial battle cause of IV, I repeat IV is not taking user’s spot, and user has told me he is showing to win, I am very impressed with someone who doesn’t do topicals as he says, user had an ill verse last week that scared off lithix, and now he’s in round 2 to show his skill and possibly knowck off the quiet liquid life aka jersey emcee, why I say quiet you’re wondering well, he comes he goes, then comes and goes, basically, but will he show this week, I hope so, user may get mad if he writes another verse and he makes another one of the greats no-show, go get em user, you’re my hero

mc4sight vs everkleer

from the looks of hookups and the AVS stuff, these 2 may be crewmates soon, but I have to give it up for everkleer for pulling up round 1s biggest upset defeating awedishin, props to ya, but can you do it again and beat the talented mc4sight, it’ll be a good one, but now everkleer gets the title of the 2004 clausehouse, can he stand up to his name and go all the way, lets not get to ahead of ourselves, beat mc4sight, and then I may give you more credit, but 1 upset is always bound to happen, give me 2 and you’ll get your credit youngin

WEST

vern acular vs noib da mutt

noib beat one mod last week, and now has another one, he’s got a head full of confidence and says he’s posting today, if he does, I will when I get off and you all can start voting, I cant say anything good about myself cause I suck, I’ve never been a champ, and my record sucks, noib will be my hardest opponent ever, if I beat him it will definitely be an upset, this is one to watch

pilleo vs vember

vember talks a lot a shit but can he back it up with the impressive pilleo, kids a lot better than I thought he was, but vember although the running of the mouth is irritating can bring it too, 2 low seeds with one motive to win, who’s going sweet 16, who’s going home and complian why they lost, we’ll just have to wait and see

lord drama vs tekneek

I love tekneek this guy will always be around, and he always is the most hungriest dude in the league, he guarantee’s he will win, but will he beable to follow trough with an opponent like lord drama aka l-dogg, last years tourney winner, faced with some personal problems he opted out of the tourney but later came back under his drama alias, but because of the swaying he revealed himself so he wont have to worry about possibly losing b/c tekneeks name has more rep points than lord drama, all in all this willllll beeeee gooooood

Idol z vs infinite truth

All I can say is wow, I love both of their styles, and they’re both crew members, but the question is who wants it more, causae both is capable of winning, although IT has the slight edge due to his complex style and excellent writing capabilities, but idol z one of the few to be champ in both the rbl and rstl is a very well all around writer who can bring the heat on anyday in the winter is out to prove a point, he’s still got it, but so does IT, should be interesting

TALENTS TOP 10

10. Ssenlli...
    ...double s came wiht one of the most creative approaches of the week...he started a little slow, which is why he's only ranked tenth, but once he got into the swing of his verse, he came out with an incredible concept that worked, and was well written at the same time...i loved the flow of his verse as well...this is the type of work that we all know Ssenlli is capable of, but at the same time, the work he rarely ever produces.

9. TekNeek...
    ...tekneek thrives on gradeur...he dramatizes his writing by presenting all of his images, rather than showing or displaying...its not a bad thing in some circumstances, such as a verse like this, where he builds to the climax through displaying the effects of street life and music on his character...this style would not be nearly as effected in say, a comedy setting, and i think tek knows that...however, the verse he displayed showed creativity in his twist, and was well written for what it was...just a nice verse from tek.

8. Vern Acular...
    ...vern can never be accused of trying any harder than he knows he needs to...on that note, even though i know he wrote this verse quickly, it was STILL top 10 material...he expressed the anger of the biggest asshole in the world...and yet didn't do it in a plain fashion...when i think of an asshole, i think of a guy with a swagger because he both thinks he's better than everyone and at the same time is very insecure in himself...vern did that by using edgy words with a laid back flow...it was just well done...and some very nice lines in there too...just a nice, smooth verse with a sharp message and a good ending.

7. Harlequin...
    ...rapter gets the "weirdly creative" verse of the week...well, actually, that would go to trap, who's verse was probably even weirder, but i think Harlequin pulled his off better...his writing was detailed, yet never felt drawn out...and the flow was very smooth and worked nicely...plus, unlike other farfetched plot twists, like vampires in 2053, Harl made his work, via setting it up very well with plenty of foreshadowing...it was just a very impressive effort, possibly the best verse i've ever seen from him.

6. SeQueL...
    ...of all the verses not based on serious situations, this was the best...i loved the way Seq created the anime addict through the husbands relationship with the wife...its an odd combination, yet he executed through his wording, which showed that the husband was sick of the wife, and yet at the end, was appalled at her actions, which is so true for so many relationships...some of the verse was funny, but mostly i would call this entertaining...and it was very much so helped along by the strong word choice and great flow...just a well done verse.

continued...​
    test
  3. Vern Acular

5. Anaphora...
    ...calling someone the "future of the RSTL" is pointless, because it is very rare for a vet to truly retire(see Jowelz), and you can never tell when a kid who is seemingly going to be around for a while might call it quits(see Shock)...however, if i had to pick the best of the up and comers, it would be Anaphora...this kid is on a hot streak, he's likely a future champ(didn't we say that about Prophetional, though?) and he could one day go down as one of the greats...I love his potential, because he has all the raw goods to do something special, although they aren't quite rounded off yet...this week, Ana showed his potential against Namix, and wrote a great story on the circle of life(not referring to Simba and Mufasa) and pulled it together with the never ending changing of the seasons...his story was written well and took a creative concept to bring it all together...it was just a nice verse that i don't think enough people read.

4. Username...
    ...the RSTL was the first league i joined that featured the writers who had gained most of their experience through battling and the writers who had gained most of their experience through writing...and because of that, i slowly became more and more able to pick up on who was who just by reading verses...Fracture, for instance, was a battler first, while Vern was a topical head who could also battle...however, every once in a while, its impossible to tell, one example being Sequel...Username, though he still has some battler signs, has made the transition VERY successfully...his topical this week matched incredible flow with a solid story and great meaning...i loved the way he ended it, comparing love and friendship...it was just a nice verse...the story might have been borderline preidictable, but it worked...and his writing style pushed him over the edge into top 4.

3. Poetiquette...
    ...anyone who reads the tribune often knows i RARELY quote...but i almost have to do it with this..."Death Rides A Horse, but he has patience"...that line says so much...jweaks is a writer known for the style that gave him his "alter-ego," Poetiquette...he brings a serene outlook on any situation, as was the case here, where he described the brutality of rap and death with a twisted positivity and lightness...some writers couldn't pull it off, but with Jweaks, the image became STRONGER because of this view...he's really one of the best, and had the top two verses been any lesser, its safe to say Jweaks would have made a verse of the week.

2. Infinite Truth...
    ...back in the days when Infinite Truth was the reigning champ, he was writing in a more conventional style...personally, although i loved his verses in those days too, he wasn't as good as he is now...his rhyme scheme is still flooded with multis, but now the bars are much shorter which allows the flow to be smoother...and his wording has improved, as was shown in this piece...plus his signature creativity has never given way to these improvements, as this verse had a GREAT concept that was so well executed...the adrenaline was pumping as i read this, the piece intesifying with emotion as i read...

1. Richard Corey...
    ...several writers in RSTL history have gained titles based on a hot streak while they were new to the league: Liquid Life, Lithix, and DMeTRiUS all come to mind...though those writers are all skilled, they have failed to leave a true lasting imprint in the league...when mentioned those names, a knowledgable member of the RSTL might remember them as being skilled writers, some may simply say they got lucky, but none would list them with the most impactful champions...Richard Corey fits the billing of a man who won his championship while on a hot streak...he was either undefeated or only had 1 loss when he won his first, and only championship...however, none of that matters, because, like Fracture, who was in a similar situation, Richard Corey's presence has truly left an impact on the RSTL...he is the ultimate polished writer...a man who could write novels, historical essays, and poetry with equal ease...and at the same time, he has dominated...he has a seasonal championship and the Champions Tournament under his belt, and many would call him a favorite to win this tournament as well...the reason is exemplified in his verse this week...Corey's creativity astounds me at times...he took a simple "tell a story that takes place entirely in one second" and created a masterpiece, without using the standard concept of reminscence that the average writer would use for such a topic...he instead painted out in a very detailed format the lives of eight people, and how one second, one gunshot, changed each of them...and then he capped it all off with a tremendous twist...the whole time his flow and word choice were IMPECCABLE...i've been talking for a while, and the reason is because i love this mans style...go read his verse...the only fault i've ever found with Corey's writing is that at times he can be TOO polished, and seem to be doing everything TOO naturally...that is not the case, as the raw emotion runs through this piece, though it never diminishes the style of the most polished, professional writer the RSTL has ever seen...Jowelz may be Mr. Natural, but Richard is Mr. Perfect.​
    test
  4. Vern Acular

RAPTERS TOP 5 BREAKDOWN

5. Cereal Vs Half

Cereal is one nice writer. I would have liked to face him, but he repectly pulled out. But this week he came nice, different but still nice. He wrapped a lot of topics into one, and it worked well enough. I saw the ending but it was still nice enough. A new style brought to the table, short and sweet. But half aka Khoi, who won this match, has amazed me again. His flow was bloody crazy, I want to know who this guy is cos he really isn't hyped up enough. The story was so poetic and I felt a very strong writers voice. Both good verses, but Khoi continues to grow.

4. Yo momma 2nd vs Noib

Yo momma 2nd is an established writer, most recently under his alias malosovich. He can come ill, and other times he sucks. His key is description and imagery, but his consistency lacked. This week he came nice and simple, with a 6th sense kinda story. I had seen the advert he based this one, but it was nice. Only problem was it was too simple and the twist was seen on from the beginning. I never really peeped Noib before, but im impressed now. I didn't like the topic, as I prefer more of a story but his description was nice. He won it this week, with a nice flow, so good luck to h8im as he progresses.

3. Poetiquette vs Dishonour

I never really seen dissy on an open mic, but I was quite impressed. For a battle kat and a nice audio head, he came consitent with this as well. The rhyme scheme and flow was nice, a real 'music' feel to them which was nice to see. His actual content was lacking, but this is form inexperince at this genre. I wish him luck if he tries his hand in the league. Now Poetiquette, like talent said, is very poetic. Rings true to his name, and this story echoed that. A lovely flow with the scheme complex as hell, and the ideas that went in to it to symbloise were crazy. He is a great writer, and picked up his win and on to next round.

2. Erykah vs Honey

Damn, it's a bitch fight. And one nice to view as well. Honey had a real nice flow, and your wording went from amazing to kinda average, so I got confused. But it was a nice comeback verse. One thing though, if u don't like the league then get out or help to improve it. Now caine I am never disappointed in. She is a great writer and he stories are always different and unique to her. It was real nice to read, a kinda flowing story, stupid to say cos of flow but it just felt smooth. Very well detailed. Both good verses and so they both moved on. Good luck ladies

1. Awedishin Vs Everkleer

Now I never really peeped Kleer, I heard a bit of hype a while ago but then it died down. But this week he brought flames. One hella nice verse. Real poetic theme to his story, and his writers voice was very clear mixing with his description. The word choice was crazy, and im gona mention his ill description again because it deserves it. Mac flow is a nice writer, and though he used a played topic he came off with it nicely. The charcter was brought to life, with the description, but I felt the story itself lacked movement. The piece seemed to stall at time. And for that reason, he lost the match and the surprise of Everkleer wining, shocks us all, especially Mac.

OUTRO

well that about wraps up this special edition of The New Tribune, I hope you like what you saw, thank you to the participants, and all I ask from you is you show on time, vote post your links, and have fun in doing so, good luck to everyone, and im looking forward to doing next weeks mag…stay tuned​
    test
  5. LDogg The King

LDogg The King The High Life

shit looks dope... a lot of work put into this.. thanks for your time an effort.
    test
  6. The Grimm Camel

The Grimm Camel New Member

*shits on thread*
    test
  7. Vember

Vember New Member

LMFAO@me being a shit talker.....maybe in text BATTLING, but not in RSTL

But i will murder Pilleo most likely, fuckin retards predicting him to win or make it close, i swear people is stupid

Dmetrius will lose to sequel cus he doesnt feel like puttin all the effort into it
    test
  8. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

yeah man, this was a great mag...

and LMAO@Vern calling himself an underdog in so many words... I'm gonna have to come up with my best verse in a bit to have a chance man...

good mag, nice breakdowns, good detail...
    test
  9. Dikembe Mutombo

Dikembe Mutombo New Member

blah blah blah blah
    test
  10. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

dude's mad he lost...
    test
  11. A.S.K

A.S.K ...

wow a top 10 verse

transformers pay off
    test
  12. Khôi NguJin

Khôi NguJin faith.hope.love

supreme. dope mag.
    test
  13. Infinite Truth

Infinite Truth ...scatterboxx rocks.

i hate you richard corey
    test
  14. 5 Starre

5 Starre Big Jaw Entertainemnt

damn, im such n underdog. haha
    --ill acually put effort in this week

;)
    test
  15. Nebz

Nebz R.I.P. Point Game

why wouldnt u be?

[look]
    test
  16. Smoke Trail

Smoke Trail Writing My Life

yea im the underestimated playa that u luv to luv.........vmember out this tourney, plain to see , let the pen bleed and see clearly like i said

Pilleo
    test
  17. 5 Starre

5 Starre Big Jaw Entertainemnt

no real reason. i keep winning n i keep bein underdog
    test
  18. Dikembe Mutombo

Dikembe Mutombo New Member

yep

but 1 loss is still better than forever terrible
    test
  19. Metallic Inferno

Metallic Inferno New Member

thanks for the kind words in the mag, preciate the mentions...maybe itll inspire me to write something good this week, but with these topics its gonna be tough. aint nothin came to me yet, im just waitin to get in my creativity mood for the week.
    test
  20. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

wow...#4?

im humbled
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.