The New Tribune - 9/13/04

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Tha Talent, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

The New Tribune
    A Tha Talent Production

Table of Contents
    --INTRO--
    --SOAPBOX--
    --A LONG TIME COMING--
    --TALENT'S TOP TEN--
    --MAN IN THE LAKE--
    --OUTRO--

Intro
    word, welcome back to a full edition of the tribune...hope you all enjoy...talent loves you.

Soapbox
    obviously, we have huge news in a new name added to the champions list...atheist, welcome into the world of the RSTL certified legends...also, i'm probably going to run a fall tournament starting soon, so expect the league to stop for a few weeks, as the first couple weeks of the 64 man tournament go down...sign ups will be up sometime soon...some really dope matchups this week...i'm especially looking forward to Dah vs. Corey, but plenty to watch for...Malosovich might even make a stand against Omen, he really liked the topics and he's a better writer than people realize...or Omen could just slay him like he does to everyone else...everyone should drink orange juice...i almost forgot how dope it is...oh and the RSTL is the best league at this site, don't let those RBL heads tell you any different...that's the downlow, Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. like Pac.

A Long Time Coming
    The Story of Atheist, Our New Champ

by Mac Flow aka Awedishin

How many RSTL matches does it take to win a championship? Well one could argue that if you signed in at 0-0 and went undefeated and showed every week, you could probably make it somewhere within 8 to 10 matches. Some of us got one early, and more to come afterwards. Some of us just got one, and no more. Others of us have scored a good share of championships, upwards of 3, 4, 5 or even 6. Well, all of this is great, but what about the RSTL members who've got 20 to 30 or more wins and no championships? Although few and far between, there have been some, and one of my personal favorites is the current man of the hour, Atheist.

Rapmusic.com doesn't go as far back as I need it to to get a good thorough account on Ath's travels, but I can take you back to early April, 2004. Atheist had just done something that is still considered an amazing feat in the RSTL, beaten Richard Corey, in the Contender's match at that. Coming off of that high, one would have surely assumed someone like the current champ at the time, Desenuts, would have no chance of stopping him. Well, Desenuts held on, and Atheist missed that particular shot at RSTL fame. Shortly after losing to Desenuts, Ath fought his way back to the title match at the end of April, when he faced Vern Acular, arguably the greatest RSTL champ of all time. When the dust cleared, the votes were tied up at 5-5, but Atheist voted on a match that was a no show, and he lost one of his 6 votes for that, meaning he didn't vote on 6 completed matches, and he lost a vote from his match. As you can tell, that means he lost to Vern by 1 vote. So close, oh so close.

So after losing on a technicality, Atheist no showed the next week and hadn't been seen or heard from since in the RSTL until : 8/2/04. He made his return, against Cigma. In a very contraversial match, Cigma was caught recycling a verse he used from earlier this year versus Vern and myself, and although there was no rule about recycling at the time, Cigma lost on votes. The rule was put into place immediately following this incident, and Atheist moved on. The next week he faced Khoi and lost, then went up against Menso and won. This put him back up where he belonged in the ranks, and he had a few weeks under his belt, so there could no longer be any claims of rust. He was matched up against Tekneek the following week, who was a cowardly no show, then Mc4SIGHT in the contender's match, who also no showed. Wait, so yes, he walked into the title match, against the one and only, the legend, the pimp, the sexiest, Awedishin aka Mac Flow..yep that's me. Anyways, there were some bold predictions of Atheist beating me, getting his first title, etc. I was having none of that, jumping out to an early 3-0 lead. At that point, although still not having read Atheist's verse, I assumed I had that cat in the bag, and he would have to claw back once again for another shot. I had Vern in my eyes....and I was poised and ready. While looking in Vern's direction, Atheist hit me with a chair and cheated his way into the win, 5-4. Haha, just kidding about the cheating, but the chair shot did hurt a little bit. Yep, that's right, he finally did it. He got his first title. Now, I've been known to give people their first titles, one of the most memorable would be Omen, aka Author NYSE, who has since won 3 more and become the most dangerous writer in the history of the RSTL. You owe me Atheist, this beating of me will make you famous, you're welcome lol. So here he is, the former Flowdoctor's topical champ of a long standing time, and one of the few people who have beaten Richard Corey or Infinite Truth, let alone both, your new and undisputed RSTL Champion - at 31-10, Atheist. Congrats my friend, you've earned it, worked your ass off for it, now hang on to it. Good luck.​
    test
  2. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

Talent's Top Ten
    Ten Best Verses of the Past Week

10. Lokternal...
    ...not many people will recognize this kid's name, but i do...he was around a few months ago, and he never really got around to making a name for himself, but was always a pretty good writer...he showed that he hasn't fallen off this week, with a strong verse dealing with the ever so cliche'd topic of incest...however, he pulled off the incest story nicely and kept his flow and storytelling strong enough to earn this spot...good job, keep it up.

9. Awedishin...
    ...though he signed out after a close loss to Atheist, Mac further cemented his legacy in RSTL history with his fourth championship...he is a legend, and he deserves to be fully recognized for his accomplishments in this league...his verse this week wasn't his best, it was a little simplistic, but he's a sick fuck, and he proved that...his topic combination was original and interesting, and the way he approached it allowed him to get both through...and his imagery was fuckin nasty...disgusting yet effective verse.

8. Noib da Mutt...
    ...five weeks ago, Noib was trying way to hard to overcomplicate his plots...he took some advice and ever since he's been writing very intellectual and provoking pieces...this week he chose a socio-theological topic and got his points through effectively and intelligently...well done, and i really hope he keeps writing like this...he's found his niche, and though he's still got no dice in terms of championships, he will find his time if he keeps improving and sticking with it.

7. TRAP...
    ...my man jay's got an interesting life story, and he's certainly not affraid of writing about it...this week, he did just that and came out with a writhing comentary on his ex-girlfriend...flooded with emotion, and a very dope rhyme scheme, trap hit hard and allowed the reader to truly appreciate where he's coming from...the flow was fuckin dope and, though a couple spots could have been slightly better worded, emotion was leaking...hard verse.

6. Khoi...
    ...in recent weeks, khoi's really been working hard at this semi-stream of consciousness style of writing...and he's really produced some good verses...and he keeps getting better...and this was no exception...he brought in a great opener and ender, and then filled it with dope content...but what stood out was the concept of slow dancing that he opened and closed with, and really brought through his verse an aura of strong meaning...well done.

5. Edward Lake...
    ...still under the veil of alias, Edward Lake has done nothing but impress...he's a very talented writer who is very proficient at maximizing word choice...he's allowed himself to feel free within his style, and also extend beyond the bounds of his style, which i feel a lot of great writers don't get around to doing...this week he broke out a somewhat abstract look at ghetto life...and he dropped a true gem...lyricism and hip hop roots were evident his his depictions of the hard life...a great topical work.

4. Atheist...
    ...all hail the new champ...atheist has been waiting for this title for quite a while...fourty weeks...and now his hard work has paid off...ath has been somewhat inconsistant in the past, but he really relied on his narrative abilities...his writing style is that of a novelist, and of a very good novelist...guy can really rock a story, makes his details sharp and he knows how to kick a just-good-enough-to-be-sufficient rhyme scheme with solid flow that keeps everyone satisfied...it should be interesting to see how long he holds onto his crown.

3. Erykah Caine...
    ...man, Erykah Caine can really write...the RSTL has never produced a female champion, though both Caine and Honey Boo have made it into championship matches...in my opinion, Caine will likely be the first champion, if she sticks around...had Vern not dropped a classic, she could very well be on her way to that right now...her verse last week had everything: emotion, characters, and beautifully poetic writing...she just knows how to write emotional stories, flat out...great verse.

2. Richard Corey...
    ...Richard is Richard...he came with a vindictive narrative that held a lot of deeper seeded meaning...all of it written so well, so precisely...this guy should write a novel, and i wouldn't be suprised if he's working on it...his story had a strong aura of mystery, and he displayed some pretty brutal scenes...his ending held so much meaning inside of it...and he developed his characters exceedingly well...great verse...the Richard Corey we all know and love to be blown away by.

1. doYen...
    ...simplicity might be the most underrated quality in writing...Vern proved that this week...now that he is free of his "doYen" image, he allowed Vern to shine the way Vern should shine...he opened himself up and brought a verse that was so emotionfilled and so sincere, you can't help but like it...it helps that he kept a truly flawelss flow and let his word choice be even more natural than normal...just a fantastic verse by a great writer...this is maximizing potential...vern is back.​
    test
  3. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

Man in the Lake
    Talent Interivews Edward Lake

Talent: So, Edward Lake...welcome to the RSTL Hot Seat
    Talent: let's get right to it...Richard Corey shut you out last week...do you feel he earned his victory?
    Ed Lake: Well it's all a matter of taste of course, and I like both verses. Although mine was lacking, and Corey has dropped better shit as well. But as far as earning a victory goes, he's one of the illest, and I don't mind losing to him.
    Talent: a lot of people are speculating that Richard Corey has been the RMC MVP this year, do you agree?
    Ed Lake: It's gotta be someone who can both battle and do topicals. So only four people can really make a claim to be MVP. Richard, Vern, User and Numskull. Out of those I would probably go with RC. Vern hasn't done too well in the RBL this year, and although User and Num drop a lot of dope ass open mics, I haven't seen them in the RSTL. So yes, I agree. Corey for MVP.
    Talent: you are fairly familar with User's open mic skills...so the question is, do you think he will take an RSTL Championship now that he is signed in again, if he sticks around for a few weeks
    Talent: ?
    Ed Lake: Personally, I think he's too fat and lazy to do it. And he might take one, but he's got Frac disease. He's good at a few elements of storytelling, but relies on some battling principles a bit too much, ie. using punchlines in topicals. And he lacks versatility. But it just depends. Personally, I don't see him beating people like Vern, Omen or Corey.
    Talent: speaking of vern, just about everyone feels you are hiding an alias, like vern did with doyen...are the rumors true? and if so, when do you plan to reveal yourself?
    Ed Lake: Of course I'm an alias. Any newbie getting attention this fast has to be an alias, come on, who are you kidding? I'll reveal myself once I'm RSTL champion. If I ever make it to the top...hehe.
    Talent: well i can't wait to find out...lol...anyway, who do you feel is the greatest storyteller ever, in terms of professional writers, MCs, and textcees...
    Talent: three names
    Ed Lake: James Joyce, Ghostface Killah, and Richard Corey
    Talent: i can live with those picks...you mention Joyce...how important do you think it is for RSTL heads and upcoming storytellers in general to read novels?
    Talent: (the reason i bring this up is because i highly doubt James Joyce would be required reading in high school, whereas an answer like Poe or Steinbeck might show a disintrest in personal reading)
    Ed Lake: Well it depends. If you want to get real serious with symbolism, dialogue and imagery, reading novels by Joyce and Nabokov for example would be a great way to get more feel for it. But if you're a raw emotion/comedy writer, you'll have to go for it all by yourself, and just open your heart and pour it out. Good question, by the way.
    Talent: as if i would ask a bad one...anyway...word association time...like always.
    Ed Lake: I was waiting for it...hooray.
    Talent: phrase topics
    Ed Lake: Love em.
    Talent: author nyse
    Ed Lake: Tell him to stop worrying, I'm drinking orange juice now.
    Talent: tupac
    Ed Lake: Too real for the internet.
    Talent: hammer pants
    Ed Lake: atreyu
    Talent: lmao......battling
    Ed Lake: lacks a leader of the new school
    Talent: RSTL voters
    Ed Lake: doing a good job
    Talent: alright...and one last thing...pick who will win this week between Richard Corey and DahLohner, who i know are two of your favorite RSTL writers, and defend your stance.
    Ed Lake: Richard will win. Before he wiped the floor with me, I supposed that he would take a step back, but instead of that, dude stepped up his game and smacked Ed's ass backwards. So obviously he wants to win. And with this MVP talk, he's got the voters looking out for him again. Dah is dope as hell and intelligent as fuck, but most of the people can't appreciate his shit. No hard feelings, but I see Corey winning.
    Talent: well, thank you for your participation on the RSTL Hot Seat...now you can go back to your Budweiser..(get the pun...anyone?)
    Talent: peace
    Ed Lake: peace *sips orange juice*

Outro
    there you go...and there i go...and there this mag goes...peace.​
    test
  4. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

dope mag fellas

I won't be doing a whole lot of articles, but I was feeling froggy

*goes back to sitting at work on his lazy fat ass*
    test
  5. TeKneeK

TeKneeK The Heart and Soul of RM

atheist deserves the title.... very long overdue.
    test
  6. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

sup... nice mag guys...
    test
  7. Atreyu

Atreyu New Member

wtf is hammer pants.
    test
  8. 6th_plague

6th_plague More then meets the eye

i saw my name
    test
  9. LDogg The King

LDogg The King The High Life

let me know when the tourney starts..
    test
  10. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

fuck you lake
    test
  11. as long as I'm on top..
    test
  12. AuThoR NYSE

AuThoR NYSE Black Hand

It better be fuckin Orange Juice

Can't have anything happenin to you foo
    test
  13. Smoke Trail

Smoke Trail Writing My Life

test
  14. doYen

doYen Man Above All

orange juice is great, i drink it everyday

finally back to #1 on talents top 10

it kind of puts pressure on me this week

but im up for it

congrats to athiest

and good luck
    test
  15. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

vern....

how you livin?
    test
  16. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Talent get me on aim. Ive got a llittle neat idea.
    test
  17. DahLohner

DahLohner Straight Up Un-Holy

*had sex while drinking Orange Juice*

IMOUT
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.