The MAIN Problem I have with Contemporary R&B

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Konscious, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Other than the over-produced tracks, shitty vocals and trite lyrics is that 98% of today's R&B song-writers cannot write a melody to save their lives.

I was listening to some Stevie Wonder and Off the Wall MJ the other day and I noticed that what made them and so many of the other classic artists so remarkable is that they wrote memorable melodies along with memorable choruses.

Those elements have always been the key to great song-writing in any genre, starting with the genesis of pop music... jazz.

Most R&B singers today have no melody at all... they just chant or sound like they're half-singing/half-rapping.

I think the decline of soulful/jazzy/bluesy production in favor of a mechanized hip hop sound has contributed to this disintegration.

The singers now have to almost rap in order to fit the rhythms of the track.

I can almost take lyrics that don't mean a whole lot every now and then, as long as it's encased in a great melody... because the melody stays with you longer and it helps you remember the lyrics.

I can't remember the last time I was able to memorize an R&B song all the way.... even the ones that I like.
    test
  2. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

R&B I guess hasn't been the same since New Jack Swing. New Jack Swing was fresh back when it came out in the late 80's but I think too many producers and artist got comfortable with it. I remember Chris Rock complaining about too much R&B just being people singing over rap beats. I like R&B that's more instrumental or that uses various instruments in creative ways.
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Even the neo-soulsters aren't all that great with melody.

A lot of them use hip hop-based tracks, too.

Ledisi is cool, though.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.