The machine is trying to shove Rick Ross down our throats

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Louis Armstrong, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Oh shit two people.

Sixers ballin' on Tapatalk
    test
  2. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

most people going to major artist shows know one single from the artist and nothing else. they go 'cause it's the thing to do. anyone actually calling in requesting songs is glued to the radio like an old lady to a televangelist.

consumers are taught to be impulsive, materialistic and superficial from the time they learn to talk. that's why you get hit with sugar, bright colors and retarded looking shit on TV every saturday morning as a kid. it works like a charm.

people pheen for the skimpy, poison, fake mcdonalds burgers even though their mom can probably cook one a hundred times better. tweens and teenagers have been succumbing to irrational mass hysteria since elvis and the beatles.

one or two good artists get 100% of the uninformed consumers attention, so what would normally be "i like this song" is "OMFG THIS IS MY SHIT!!!!!"

lotta people don't even get to buy or try a lot of different music until they're in their mid to late 20's and doing ok financially.

good/great music is really only the difference between a one hit wonder and a star, but the superstar machine is something any talented artist can be placed in and succeed with if it fully supports them.

marketers have trouble pushing something they're unfamiliar with, though. recycled formulas, cliches and stereotypes are viewed as guaranteed, easy money. that's one of the reasons why fake drug kingpin is a good image.
    test
  3. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

There aren't many rappers on the limelight you troll

Lil Wayne, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Rick Ross, Kanye West, Eminem. Birdman
    test
  4. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

you guys realize this is 2012 right?

artists release a song and within an hour they know if it'll catch on or not via twitter. There's a reason why Rick Ross's album didnt drop last year. that wack ass "you the boss" flamed out.. Its why Jeezy dropped like 3 singles before his album finally dropped.. yet artists are being forced on us?

lmao at people only know two songs from these artists and going to their shows.. you dudes dont know wtf you are talking about.

and people listen to the radio on their way to work.... there are actually interesting personalities on the radio
    test
  5. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

When society stops living in the exterior dimension, a dimension which is ruled by superficiality and non-truths, only then will we finally have quality and intellectuality reign supreme even in facets like hip hop.
    test
  6. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

they test songs to see if it's worth dumping the money that around-the-clock exposure and market saturation costs into it: guaranteed spins, youtube silent sponsorship, a million dollar video that they have to ensure recoups enough money for the label.

it's free thinking people who actually start a trend from an unknown artist. a small minority that finds something new, likes the shit out of it, shares it, retweets it etc giving it a great start.

the media picks it up as soon as there's a spark, then fans it to become a wildfire. the people who gave it a good start don't even care at this point, it was just another good song. after a week the vast majority of people are sick of it, but they're still trying to get the dominant mindshare, so deal with it.

it's a revolving door with people coming in and out, but money invested is what keeps it revolving.

you don't really think that the majority of people at a hot summer show are real fans tho, right? they know whatever's being drilled into their brain that year and nothing else.

people do listen to the radio on the way to work, but it's only a very, very small minority of people in every state who are actually calling in to request songs. especially in 2012. the only people who have time for that are young, impressionable, and can't buy the song: they don't even factor as a consumer in the equation.

but a handful of requests can be spun as good press, so you end up hearing about it like everyone is stuck on the phone calling 500 times a day for the same song. "people are asking for [song]" was repurposed in the 90's as a way for radio stations to make it seem like their playlist of the same shit every 15 minutes, all day everyday wasn't paid for.

internet distribution blew up for consumers and artists in '00 because people wanted choice: the exact opposite of all that. 10 years later, they own the internet outlets and venues too, crushed the free market, and it's business as usual again.
    test
  7. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

thats all I read, and thats all that needed to be said.. you prove my point right there... the people choose what the label invests in.. not vice versa

we're on a message board man.. i'm not reading essays
    test
  8. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

doesn't matter if you don't wanna read it. it's true.

you can read about consumer psychology, marketing and business anytime you want and try to pretend it's not real. or don't. ignorance is bliss.

the point i stated in that quote is that money turns a good song into the #1 song. your point was that these songs can be what they are without money, without constant oversaturation in the media. mindshare.

the label chooses what the people get to hear in the first place. when an album comes up ready, they approve it or they send it back if there's not enough pop on it for their long term business strategy.

the marketing budget is decided before the music even goes into production - ie: who's beats are we buying, who's featuring on it. that's just the start.

money dictates the music that's made and they decide what the singles are going to be and how many are needed.

if you don't present or have an image the label knows how to market - ie: a cliche that some other successful, original artist pioneered decades ago - they won't touch you. hip-hop gangster is an easy to digest, one dimensional archetype so it's a proven formula and marketers are willing to support it.

making music with the intent of being marketable = label money telling you what to do before you're even signed.

the audience has no say in it, until they've already been beaten over the head with it, and their choices have been narrowed.

there's too many options, too much consumer choice [/I]for anything to dominate long term without at least a million dollars behind it. especially in 2012.
    test
  9. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

my point is that these artists arent being shoved down our throats and that businesses arent putting money behind shit the people dont want.... all that shit you're spewing is irrelevant
    test
  10. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

labels drop the ball on the next big thing when they aren't giving people something they don't even know they want: like being afraid to embrace gangsta rap 20 years ago.
    test
  11. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

people want all kinds of shit, not just a 10 song playlist for 5 or 6 months.

the less there is to compare to your lead artist, the better they look. monopoly. can't put 10 mil into one artist if you're putting 1 mil into 10 artists.

the more money you put into it, the better it seems. only way a label can keep that kind of money on hand all the time is through promises made to outside investment.

the less variety there is, the less diverse peoples tastes are. the more successful the investment and all business strategies tied to it.

cause and effect. vicious cycle. big picture.
    test
  12. OutLaw613

OutLaw613 Well-Known Member

ninja>>

Real Talk..
    test
  13. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

If you dont listen to the radio like you claim, how do you know whats being played on it? and which people are calling in requesting songs?

how did Drake, Wiz, French Montana, buzz in the streets and all on the radio before they had backing from a label?

People want to hear these artists so that's who the labels push.. it only seems like its being shoved down your throat because YOU dont like it. the nerds on this board are in the minority.

Nobody wants to hear your favorite artists in the club or on their way to work. Which is why you dont hear them when you're out and about.

People want shit you can nod your head to... which is why the trap rappers had the game on lock for such a long time.

Like I said earlier, if these rappin ass rappers picked good beats and got their hook game in order they'd be played more.
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

you shot who in the what now?

i answered this question already. people who establish a trend move onto something else by the time it's picked up. to them, it's good music. to the consumer zombie who knows 5 rappers, it's the greatest music ever made.

i like rick ross's music. you're reachin'.

i have a brain, so i'm able to enjoy something while still being aware of how it's put together. i learned to do that when i was about 3 years old watching PBS and seeing that candy was made in factories by real people, and not by magical fairies.

sugar's bad for you.

people who listen to various types of music and use the internet are the vast majority. they're just fragmented and not represented by media marketing, because it's too difficult to replicate a variety of formulas into one controlled, lowest common denominator icon that appeals only to a certain age & lifestyle demographic: one that only comprises a relatively small percentage of the population, but are most likely to buy things they don't need.

it's too difficult to con everybody all the time, so it's best to just con the easiest marks.

who are my favorite artists? i love clubs btw

indeed, but there's a billion people around and they don't listen to the same things. not every girl is a stripper in training all hours of the day and not every dude mean mugs themselves in the mirror before leaving the house. yet, hip-hop's still a popular music genre around the world for lots of reasons, despite only 1% of it being represented in the media. you think everyone is listening only to what's on the radio? nah.

good beat on your first album = $$$

good beats on your major label 2nd album = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

how many rappers new in the game that actually sign to a label do you know that brought a few hundred thousand dollars of their own money with them to buy "hot" beats with?
    test
  15. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

this guy is really writing thesis papers and none of it has much to do with the topic at hand.

again I ask, simple question: if people want to hear it, how is it being forced down our throats?
    test
  16. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

save the drawn out response.. there's no answer to it. the masses are supplied with what they want..
    test
  17. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

how many people? which people?

[youtube]7iShcHoV1Hw[/youtube]
    test
  18. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

young people age 15 to 25 want whatever's cool. it's basic anthropology.

media tells them what's cool. obscure, local trends are forced to become national trends - it's franchised out. it's like buying a cheap product in china before anyone else can and selling it for twice the price in the US. if you can take the blueprint and get it made cheaper, even better.

basic rule of business: make people want your product. a good salesman tells you why you want what they're selling. right now, you need this music so you can be a bawse.

you should really check out some population statistics too so that you know what is and isn't a majority.

these are answers.
    test
  19. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN proper weaponry

you really haven't a clue, do you?

and NinjaMic killed it.
    test
  20. Break_Bread

Break_Bread *TheTwinkleInUrGirlsEye*

Ninja's preachin...

lengthy but accurate.
    test