The Jesus Conspiracy : new evidence says christianity was a roman experiment to calm the masses

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Sir Bustalot, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

"American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ."

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm
    test
  2. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Here the fuck we go.
    • +Rep +Rep x 4
    test
  3. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Change "Biblical scholar" to "Bible conspiracy theorist."

Joseph Atwill has been telling this story for a long time, weaving his web of paranoia. He wrote a book about it. No wonder he sees evidence for a conspiracy. It'll definitely trump up sales.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

The fact is, there isn't much to know about Jesus. Nor should there be: He was a mere peasant, for one.

The fact we know what we know about him just shows how much of a threat the Roman authorities thought he was.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

it will be interesting to see what "evidence" he has
    test
  6. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

shit's not new by any means.

they doubted the existence of jesus from the very start, most misunderstood character in history.

i found it interesting that there is a vacant grave next to the prophet muhammad's, and it's there for jesus.

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i was thinking the same thing. as far as i recall christianity was seen as a radical belief by the romans in its early years. crucifixion was seen as a disgrace.. to have a crucified god? and one that denounces the worship of any of other gods?
    test
  8. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

[​IMG]
    • +Rep +Rep x 4
    test
  9. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Claims of a “confession” to “inventing Jesus” are almost certainly bull

October 9, 2013 by: Chris Hallquist Oh my historical scholarship, the things that go viral… so I just saw a bunch of people in my Facebook/Twitter feeds, including Richard Dawkins of all people, sharing an article titled, “Ancient Confession Found: ‘We Invented Jesus Christ.’” The instant I saw the headline, I could tell that it was almost certainly bullshit. If I had to spell out the basis for my snap-second judgement, it would go something like this: Jesus probably existed. Biblical scholars probably aren’t the most unbiased folk in academia, but even among non-believing scholars like Bart Ehrman it’s generally agreed that Jesus existed. And even among people who doubt this, the saner ones don’t think there was a conspiracy, per se, not of the kind that would allow that headline to make any sense. Finally, even if there was a conspiracy, the odds that the conspirators produced a written confession and the confession survived until the present day (when few manuscripts from that period have) and has only just now been discovered… multiply all the improbabilities out, and a Secret Mark-style forgery is more likely.

But scratching the surface of the story, it doesn’t look like there’s any forgery, just crackpottery:

Atwill’s most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying “Wars of the Jews” by Josephus [the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea] alongside the New Testament. “I started to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts,” he recounts. “Although it’s been recognised by Christian scholars for centuries that the prophesies of Jesus appear to be fulfilled by what Josephus wrote about in the First Jewish-Roman war, I was seeing dozens more. What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus. This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern. The biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar.” How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? “Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren’t all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it. An educated Roman in the ruling class would probably have recognised the literary game being played.” Atwill maintains he can demonstrate that “the Roman Caesars left us a kind of puzzle literature that was meant to be solved by future generations, and the solution to that puzzle is ‘We invented Jesus Christ, and we’re proud of it.’”

In other words, he’s not claiming to have discovered any new documents to support his claims, just that by looking at old documents he’s discovered a secret code only he can see. The same way some people think they see secret codes “proving” Shakespeare didn’t write Shakespeare, or heck, the codes some people think they see in the Bible.

In fact, a little more digging and it turns the article is misleading in that Atwill’s claims aren’t even new. He’s been making them for years, and they’ve already been torn apart by Robert M. Price, himself an agnostic on whether there was a historical Jesus. My friends on Twitter and Facebook have been taken in by a slick PR stunt – only it isn’t all that slick if you know how to evaluate these kinds of stories. We, as atheists, should be better than this.
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

awe well thats anticlimactic... the dudes like joseph smith

wack

i was hopin for some drama
    test
  11. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

Exactly.

Athiests the world over are going to take this and run with it. To me, it's yet another interpretation and opinion of something that has been subject to the same for thousands of years.

Theists, likewise, are going to cry 'bullshit', as would be expected.

It's not proof of anything, convenient as it is to adopt this new found evidence as such.

I need to hear more.
    test
  12. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

It's not new evidence.

It's making shit up.
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  13. MissBreezy

Simply relating to the language in the article, yo.
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i just want to see what evidence he has to claim such a powerful accusation.

i havent seen any actual news coverage of the story on tv or in the paper so thats a warning sign
    test
  15. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

test
  16. MissBreezy

I'm curious as well, and I had the same thought regarding the story not being in the news.

I doubt the 'proof' he has for this is any more convincing than the idea that God exists.
    test