The "I Have To Be Honest" thread...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Kal-EL, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

NO! I want him to do SOMETHING musically that few rappers before him tried to do...

do your homework... H.A.M. is the first single from the watch the thrown album hes doing with kanye west... cash money and Master P's no limit got popular in the late 90s when gangster rap fell.

biting? first of all, what jay does is biting. to say on a track "stop your blodclot cryin/the kids the dog everybody dyin no lyin" thats biting and theres a bitch load where that came from. I havent used kanye's beats as an excuse for why I think hes innovative because this is a rap discussion. you keep bringing up the fact that he talked about blood diamonds like thats all you got. Kanye's whole musical style is kanyes though... wasnt any other rappers rappin about dropping out of college to have a career in hip hop.
    test
  2. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

subject matter
    test
  3. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

skit suck except for the intro..........through the wire is innovative?.......how?, difficult to make maybe, but he just rapped about what happened to him......family strugles are really new to rap about.......and last call was a great beat and outro.....those are innovative and what you are talking bout....but the song, not great..........i woulda tried to argue like 2 words maybe if i were dream............no word on the dilla and lupe issue?...........

let me ask you this, do you mean made a career off of coppying trends, or made his career by copying trends?.........
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

jay's whole musical style is jay's though......and biting is copying something that people don't know of, or most don't, not paying tribute or quoting.........you accuse jay of crafting everything outta other peoples style and such........but kanye gets a pass and called innovative by you saying he is a leader, while jay a follower

that is where my whole thing stems from........and you giving a pass lyrically to people and denouncing others for the same..........

he does and usually has......bp1 was a good example of that.......so was college dropout.....i was just arguing with that for the sake of it, but i stand behind much of it........not having been done, and doing it differently than before is a difference........songs on cd have been touched upon before in terms of the subject.......songs on bp have been done before or touched upon, not like that though.........kanye beats made both albums great tbh

beats are a part of this
    test
  5. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

Not at all...
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Really?

See, back in the '90s whenever a rapper quoted another rapper, he would mention the rapper's name, for instance, "like my man Slick Rick, such and such and such and such."

Is it really quoting if you don't mention the rapper's name? Or if you don't emphasize the statement as if you're quoting?

If you recite the phrase as part of your normal flow and it's not a well known line, then people might take it to mean to your own work... like most people didn't know Nas was quoting an African proverb with "sleep is the cousin of death"... and most didn't know Biggie was quoting Richard Pryor when he said, "she look so good, I'll suck on her daddy's dick." They thought Nas was ill and that Biggie was crazy or possibly homo.
    test
  7. vandalism

vandalism the king

nah it's cool... if it's someone well known like biggie then obviously you ain't tryin to get away wit it... if it's one of the rap legends like rakim then you just shouting it out to the real niggas who'll clock the line

if it's some low-key dude then yeah that's prolly biting
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

lol, i didn't know those either.......shhhhhhhh....

I guess there is no MLA handbook for rap, but in writing, i can disect a quote and manipulate it however i will mostly, as long as i reference it somewhere like endnotes which would not involve saying shit, or having more than just a little spot for the reference info........compare that to a song, why would it need to be said that so and so said anything, unless they really wanted to, or felt everyone knows.......as long as they straight legally, and people are quick to say, oh he used another big lyric, what's the difference except style maybe and sound?..........it's not intentionallystealing a concept then popularizing it, it's not quoting from a different performing art or some ancient text........he quoting or saying his friend's popular lines........yea they are known as biggie lines, people get mad if they are not liking jay and use that arguement too.....

I know he does the same to other rappers or has, but a line?........bring em out bring em out........
    test
  9. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

Interesting arguments...
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

i cant let this thread die... lol

as far as the dilla and lupe issue- 1. Production wise, his style is a lot like dillas, but I'm talking about every part of his music combined beats, lyrics, content etc

2. as far as lupe, I already said that just because they rapped about the same thing doesnt mean its biting. if he takes lupes verse and spits that on a track, its biting.

as for the last thing you said, I'm not even sure what that was addressing
    test
  11. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

biggie aint well known as he used to be anymore, most hip hop listeners today know of him as one of the greats, but dont have his shit...

when jay says that big line in DOA, most teens i knew that listened to hip hop didnt know it was a big line.
    test
  12. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

dream, he bit the whole idea then changed a verse on a remix..........its a concept taken like damn i should done that...now i will
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

don't get me into the dilla thing..........they styles are and have never been close////////i have more issues with common though
    test
  14. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

I've never really checked dilla...
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

dilla=greatest producer and great rapper.........rip
    test
  16. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

dream we got to the point where we just arguing for the sake of it
    test
  17. krymewonder

krymewonder New Member

I thimk everyone borrows from Dilla a bit nowadays...its funny that the Kanye record I thought had a dillaish sound was the only one I like..I think Kanye keeps horrible beats for his records in my humble opinion. cosign-Dilla =best producer.

Bcak on topic tho...I have to be honest Vestax turntables are better than technic 1200s
    test
  18. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

No were not you asshole... I was arguing because...

fuck it youre right.
    test
  19. AlexKeller

AlexKeller New Member

I don't know one person that would hear that line and think Nas made it...
    test
  20. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

we both think we are right about all this stuff, but think about and, that dude thought he was right about em's nuts...........we like arguing bunches
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.