The "I Have To Be Honest" thread...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Kal-EL, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

tbh not sure i read the op, or that the first paragraph of my last post makes sense
    test
  2. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I say top 20. Slug is a phenomenal storyteller, but his rapping skills are so so. Sometimes dude kills a track, sometimes hes off beat.

I swear some of yall dudes havent even listened to nas since IWW other than his singles. stillmatic, Godson, the lost tapes, hip hop is dead, Untitled, distant relatives are all great albums...
    test
  3. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

No...they are not...lol. He has a couple dope songs on each, but the albums in their entirety are average at best to me. His beat selection is GOD awful. His rhymes, once listened to over and over, most of the time don't make sense...but do possess a "wow" factor upon first listen....until you realize he's not as "intellectual" as people make him out to be.

Actually, I have to be honest...Nas might be the most "overrated/dickriden" rapper of all time. The term "Stan" should be used for his fans instead of Em's.
    test
  4. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

heres some more shit...

-Nas is the Greatest rapper of all time (based on the fact that no other rapper has put out more good music than he has.)

-Blueprint 1 sucks

- Creepin on Ah Come Up, East 1999 and Eternal, Art of War, Thug Mentality, THUGS, Heavens Movie> all other Bone thugs work, all other Hip Hop, all other MUSIC

-Kanye West is the best rapper out now (overall)

-fuck you if you dont listen to Big Daddy Kane

-Dr. Dre is the greatest producer of all time. hes changed the face of hip hop several times. niggas like DJ Premere, J Dilla, Timbaland, kanye are great for their times, but neither them or any producer in rap history past or present (possibly future) could ever do what Dre has done.

(1988) Put west coast gangsta scene on the map

(1992) created death row records and elevated the whole coast to rap's forefront

(1996) created Aftamath records which dominated hip hop in the early 2000s.

and this is all pretty much with his beats.
    test
  5. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

Also, I have to be honest...if you think for ONE GODDAMN SECOND that Illmatic is the best rap album of all time, then I can assume that you're from New York, born between 78-82 (or born afterwards and can't make a personal opinion of your own, thus being influenced by the previous age group I mentioned earlier because you think the popular choice is the right choice LOSER) and only like hardcore boom bap beats from DJ Premier and others who don't possess a funk/southern soulful bone in their body.

That damn album is unlistenable...no matter how many times I force myself to sit through it...trying to decipher what the buzz is over it.
    test
  6. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Gravediggaz are criminally slept on/underrated/underlooked

Prodigy in his prime got the best presence of all time

Rap got more soldiers than any other genre
    test
  7. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Krazed Familia

Better mic presence than Ludacris and Scarface?.....stop it.
    test
  8. Mel Man

word I can respect that. He #2 on my list.

This I can respect, but not undastand, break it down, the album is classic to me and symbolic which all eqautes to a masterpiece..

We niggaz rappin but still we actin like criminals! Naw but why you love Bone so much?

I gots love for kanye, but he fell off. Lyrically, artistically, overall, production fell off. I listen to College Dropout/Late Regis/Graduation and feel that classic vibe, his new stuff is dope sometimey, his new album definetly got some classic joints, same with his last album, but he fell off since College dropout, that track with katy perry, ugh!

Dre is nice as fuck, but he nice for what he do, every otha producer you named there does them and drops classics too..that's why to me its hard to rank producers, but Dre probly got top 10 status.
    test
  9. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Nas puts out 2 amazing albums, then just dropped off like substantially to me........he went from good beats to awful ones, and had lie a great song or 2 an album from then till i stopped caring and got sick of his persona.......he did say one of my favorite lines which is simply "swing around like you stupid" though...........real talk

i know you don't think blueprint sucked, and you are saying that, at least partially, cause you trying to emphasize your liking of nas........you know what i am saying.......you can't think it sucks, you like kanye beats too much.......where nas rather get chris weber to make beats.....

can't argue about dre being the best, though i do not think so, he is top 3 and he did shit you said.......

jay>kanye at rapping......jay a better rapper, but kanye puts out some great stuff minus 808's......

slug, from like 96 to 05, put out some of my favorite music of all time.......that shit has so much innovation behind it, and is done with so much simplicity that it is amazing........he is a good technical rapper, not a rhyme wizard, but that takes 0 from the music to me.........
    test
  10. Mel Man

yee, if P is in that zone e.g. shook ones, Trife Life, Microphone master remix, I shot ya remix..dude gets is his zone and makes that mic his bitch and splashes!
    test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

agree fully........
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I can't argue too much against Prodigy having the dopest mic presence of all time... that's a large part of his appeal... although Rakim, Kane, LL, Scarface would all have a case, too.

I don't get people who can dismiss all NY style rap or the classic boom bap production sound... that's the original hardcore essence of hip hop, popularized by Rick Rubin... he took it from the disco/dance/808 era... and now we're back!

Even when Nas is "wack," he's still dope.

Melody is over-appreciated in hip hop music today... there is nothing wrong with straight rhythm... I could listen to an album with nothing but beat boxing as the rhythmic base.

Eminem, Jay Z, and Pac all had horrible beat selection, too... so leave Nas alone.

Remember before "swag" became commonplace, we used to say "charisma?"

I need to give DJ Quik another look, but I don't have a strong desire to do so... he's so hyped by a lot of west coast heads, but his heavy R&B style has always been off-putting to me.
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i think nas' bad beat selection doesn't suite his rapping style and ablity though......like em bad beats suite em, jay has a more adaptive flow imo..........melody is appreciated, by me at least, when it is introduced, and when one puts a bad melody on a song it just ruins it to me/for me.........melody is often overdone and done wrong though too......

charisma>swag........
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You said that before and I agree, but too many heads here seem to think that Nas is the only superstar with bad beats... and I think many of them are really talking about the "NY style, boom bap" beats that he still utilizes on all of his albums along with the melodic, commercial style beats which aren't always bad, either.

Jay is more adaptive and Em is quirky enough to suit his bad beats, but they are still BAD BEATS... that's the whole point... but I agree, Nas should stick to Primo as his primary producer... he's a Rakim style rapper where his flow isn't all that adaptive, although he has gotten better over time... N.I.G.G.E.R. is an underrated album.

Agreed... I like melody, but I don't think it's a requirement... Gorilla Nasty used to be real heavy on that, as if hip hop isn't "legitimate" if it doesn't have melody... that's where I disagree.

Yeah, there are subtle difference... swag is not only overused, but often misunderstood as well.
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

that's why charisma is better to me, it's not used as slang that eventually ends up as a blanket term to cover every time anyone does anything ever.........

nas is money over boom-bap.......but yea jay has had some bad ones too, and em's have mostly always been pretty bland......it just became him though before it got ugly on encore........

project window, the original version, is my jam too.......that was a nas gem........
    test
  16. DP Banned?

DP Banned? New Member

Nas can be dope as fuck when he's talking about growing up in the projects or spitting some storytelling shit. It's when he starts acting like he knows anything about history or politics that he becomes corny.
    test
  17. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

a lot of your favorite rappers got their style from bumpin illmatic

I used to feel the same way as you... as I got older I began to understand more of what Nas was talkin about in that album.
    test
  18. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

test
  19. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

dude seriously...

[youtube]Ch9c0eHmwaY[/youtube]

the whole Untitled album was this good...

nah, thats not why, hell Supaugly was a great diss track... I hate the blueprint for the same reason I hate the fact that people call wayne the best rapper alive... the lyrics are painfully mediocre... it was also one of Jay's most commercial and arrogant albums...

I put every kanye album over every jay album... Musically, kanye is a leader, Jay is a follower.

its hard for me to argue why I like atmospheres new shit better... all I know is that the only album for the old atmosphere era i like to listen to all the way through is God Loves Ugly... albums like lucy ford, ycbhmfwh, Sevens travels, I listen to like 3-5 tracks (excellent tracks btw) and thats it.
    test
  20. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I'm sorry man, youre gonna have to name some of these "horrible" beats...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.