The Great Gatsby - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by Matt Strickland, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Matt Strickland

Matt Strickland Member

Im thinking about watching this but it is like 2 1/2 hrs long. Is it worth it?
    test
  2. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

the book is dope as fuck but i still ain't seen the movie. forgot for a minute there was a movie tbh

gonna try to watch it this weekend.
    test
  3. Punches

Punches a.k.a UH OH

I thought it was dope tbh
    test
  4. J o o k

J o o k Win your battles before they’ve even been fought.

One of my fav movies in recent history. So beautifully done.

Hopefully you're watching it on Blu Ray or in 3D
    test
  5. Resilient.

Resilient. .. . ..

I wanted to see it too. Should be on hbo soon
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. quotive

quotive 3

shit was coo. it has some amazing visuals.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Screech

Screech I came, I saw, I conquere

It was cool I guess mainly because of the visuals really but a major let down. Amazing book and with Leo as Jay I was expecting a classic film.
    test
  8. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

Screech so artsy fartsy nowadays
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Craig Ehlo

Craig Ehlo Mark Price's Saviour

test
  10. SirSpanksAlot

SirSpanksAlot Well-Known Member

Film was decent, there's some good parts and boring parts. Loved when they was doing that little party in the little ass room getting wasted as fuck

Trapatalk
    test
  11. Matt Strickland

Matt Strickland Member

True visuals were cool. But in the words of David Alan Grier and Damon Wayans from "in living color":
    hated it
    test
  12. SevenBC

SevenBC I ♥ to sleep

Yo, I actually liked this movie a lot. I read the book in high school, but I forgot all the details. The cool thing about this movie is that it's like a Cartoon Disney movie, but with real life actors. What I mean by this is the way they display the characters is very embellished, extravagant, and cartooney.. Think of Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast, and you'll get what I'm talking about. Daisy Buchanan is the "princess" type, her husband is the overly arrogant / asshole "boyfriend", while Gatsby is the "protagonist" that is meant to be with the "Princess".

This movie exaggerates everything from the way the lines are delivered to the visual effects / artsiness. I really liked this touch, because it's like a Disney movie with a very Adult / fucked up story-line.

That's what makes it so good. Because, we all know that in real life, the things we feel are meant to happen, sometimes don't play out that way. And sometimes you just have to leave the past in the past, and move the fuck on.

Also, did anybody else get the vibe that Toby McGuire's character is gay? I feel that F. Scott Fitzgerald, the writer of the original book, put a lot of himself into this character. I read that he tried to live in the lifestyle of the "rich and famous" of that time period, but he "never quite fit in". Also, I read he was kind of a fake dude that would dress really well, etc, etc.. In the movie, Toby McGuire's character seems to be like that ( besides the dressing well )... but he's a writer, that is in a weird way on the outside looking in. He has a weird infatuation with Gatsby ( almost a crush ), while ignoring the brunette bitch that obviously wanted him to smash.

Either way.. this movie had some really good scenes, and a great soundtrack.. They need to give Leonardo an award already.. Shit, his performance in Django was on another level.. as well as Revolutionary Road with Kate Winslett. I think that might be one of the best acting in a movie I've ever seen.
    test
  13. BLACK ATTICUS

BLACK ATTICUS An Actual Show Rocka!!

truly worth a view. well shot, great acting, and a soundtrack that isn't too obnoxious -- some of the use of jay z's tracks got weird but fortunately were just snippets.
    test
  14. quotive

quotive 3

yeah the jayz song placements are one of the reasons i didnt enjoy the film too much
    test
  15. quotive

quotive 3

was hoping for some eminem tracks
    test
  16. Noodles

Noodles The People's Champion

turned it off 15 minutes in because the soundtrack made me cringe and the acting was terrible by everyone in it not named DiCaprio.

overstylized pop culture hollywood trash

not for fans of film
    test
  17. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Revolutionary Road is underrated as hell.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  18. SevenBC

SevenBC I ♥ to sleep

You buggin' if you turned if off after 15 mins. The soundtrack is good.. I admit, some of the Jayz songs throughout the movie were weird, but not enough to turn off the movie. Like I said earlier, this movie was embellished and extravagant, but that's the whole point.. It's basically an artistically shot movie that tells a 'love' story, while comparing our modern times with the "roaring 20's" through the lifestyles of partying, fashion, and economic status.. This movie was definitely made for the younger crowd. You must realize that this was a time period where there started to be a true social scene between the rich and the poor.. and a definite upswing in the way people lived & thought.

I can't really say anything negative about this movie.. other than the realness of the storyline itself. I would say it accurately displays the callousness of people.. especially rich, spoiled people that have been given everything their entire lives.
    test