'the godfather': sergio leone offered the chair?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Barack Obama, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

don't know how many of you this will interest, but...

wow!

i never knew this about my beloved maestro!

i read for the first time today that he was given the chance to direct mario puzo's 'the godfather' by paramount but turned it down spending the next ten years in preparation for 'once upon a time in america'
    test
  2. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

once upon a time in america is a spectacularly underrated mob film, btw

didn't get the recognition it deserved, because surprise surprise! editing hack jobs by the studio!

now released in its full form, its excellence is being reevaluated and discovered by the film community

here's the film trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOydks4eN0&search=sergio leone trailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  3. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

You might as well sent a PM to the other person who gives a shit about Sergio Leone
    test
  4. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

i thought most people posting in here did?

sending out that many pm's would have been too arduous a task
    test
  5. Corey Feldman

Corey Feldman Generalissimo Abzkada

Who?
    test
  6. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

you know him and yet you don't know him

you've no doubt seen his influence sprinkled throughout the world of film and popular culture abroad

he was an artistically gifted filmmaker with perhaps the greatest disparity between his genius/impact and household recognition

had he taken the chair for 'the godfather', a move he later regretted not making, we would probably be asking who francis ford coppola is

wait... do you know who francis ford coppola is?
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

dont get me wrong though

i'm not knocking 'the godfather'. it's in a 3-way tie with 'amadeus' and 'the good, the bad, and the ugly' for my all-time favorite film, and i really don't see how it can be improved. the francis ford coppola and nino rota duo created pure visual and musical perfection with the source material and cast they had to work with, but i think the sergio leone and ennio morricone duo would have created perfection too... only in a different form. and, it would have brought more due attention to 'once upon a time in the west' and the dollars trilogy.

odd how coppola/rota rhymes like leone/morricone
    test
  8. Corey Feldman

Corey Feldman Generalissimo Abzkada

I know who Leone is, and we all get that you maybe like him a little too much.

I was just wondering who the other person who gives a shit about Leone is.
    test
  9. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

as i said, you know him and yet you don't know him

if you truly knew him, you wouldn't be mocking how criminally underappreciated and underexposed he is to the general public

naw... i know i get a little too carried away with how much i make threads/posts about him, but i honestly wish the recognition for his contributions to the art would be more equal with how widespread the influence of his techniques is
    test
  10. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

about 'once upon a time in the west':

"Young filmmakers began to study Leone’s film closely in the late 1960s - and watch it on television - to the point where it began to have a major impact on world cinema.

The Western in general has been called “a global text” and here was the proof. In Hollywood, the new generation - among them Martin Scorsese, John Carpenter, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and John Milius - all rated the film very highly; twenty years later, Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez have continued the tradition. Director John Boorman summarized a widely held view in the film community when he wrote, “This is the kind of masterpiece that can occur outside trends and fashion. It is both the greatest and the last Western.”

http://www.autry-museum.org/explore/exhibits/leone/IV.php

the name 'sergio leone' simply isn't as big as it should be
    test
  11. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

DID YOU KNOW?

Sergio Leone was a first-assistant director on 'Ben-Hur' and helped to shoot the famous chariot race.

*shakes head* @ his visual prowess

and, how fitting would it have been for GOD himself to direct 'the godfather'

[​IMG]

GOD!!!

[​IMG]

THE BIBLE!!!
    test
  12. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

it was the offer he couldn't refuse but did, so now he stalks through the canon of great directors like the man with no name

damn, i can't get over how big this would have been for his career and legacy
    test
  13. SadistiK1

SadistiK1 Washingtonian

Wasnt aware of this, thanks for the heads up... Leone is incredible, but it would be arrogant to say Copollas could have been improved...
    test
  14. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

wrd, it's a masterpiece

sure wish i had the ability to tap into that alternate universe where the offer was accepted, so i could see what was made

sergio leone's ability to transform even the lowest budgets and most base storylines into high art combined with the power of mario puzo's book, the fabulous ensemble cast, tonino del colli's cinematography/photographic direction, and ennio morricone's composing talents...

a recipe for something special indeed
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.