The Dictator.

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by GaLaTeA, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

The Dictator is indeed better than Borat or Bruno, but as a whole it still isn't good enough comedy and parody of notorious dictator, where one could draw a parallel with Gaddafi.

Sacha Baron Cohen indeed is a daredevil, scared of nothing and no one, especially now, when all notoriously known dictators are dead, however a large portion of his humor is basically on the same level as "toilet humor movies" of the likes of Seltzer Aaron and Jason Friedberg, there's far too many similarities in scenes that can be seen in the movie Borat, but the story is at times very similar to the comedy "Moon Over Paridor", from '88 and starring Richard Dreyfuss. Some of the scenes, however, are excellent and entertaining enough, that the viewer can't say it wasn't a solid comedy or a waste of money.

The problem of "The Dictator" is in that, it is seldom clever and original, and too predictable most of the time. Dictator will be very well received by those in the audience, who haven't seen Borat, others will simply chalk it up to a "Borat wannabe movie", where instead of Pamela Anderson, you'll have Megan Fox.

The trick to this parody genre is such a direct humor that breaks taboos in any crisis, so "The Dictator" in this context, is indeed a surplus, but on the other hand, of course, a sad one.
    test
  2. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the dictator is yet another parody of american ignorance and stupidity, just like Borat, Bruno and Ali G.
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Pretty much. Only Ali G was one of his earlier characters, and as Ali G became a show, he added Bruno and Borat to the mix, then found a way to make them a stand alone movies.
    test
  4. antilluminati

Yep, it was just that more funny when he went to the US :D Europeans love nothing more than laugh at americans ^^
    test
  5. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

This calls for some vids...

test
  6. antilluminati

When he made fun out of the ritual of singing the national anthem in the Borat film, that was epic. This one tho, always cracks me up:

test
  7. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

^:funny: :dead: :cry:

I really wish he'd still continue making The Ali G Show...
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

It was crap
    test
  9. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

I'm wondering what his next project will be...he can't making the same recycled parody movies forever..
    test
  10. antilluminati

He'll probably do more feature films. He had a role in Martin Scorzeses "Hugo" last I saw, he's good :)
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

moon over paridor was great!
    test
  12. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

I'll need to check Hugo out...can't believe I missed this one..
    test
  13. cornlaurene

cornlaurene New Member

I loved Ali G show... Never saw anything so humorous like it. I really miss that show.
    test
  14. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

The "Ali G in da house" movie didn't do the character justice, imo, and yes, that show will be missed..
    test
  15. Contrast Will

Contrast Will New Member

I thought Borat was way better. Borat was both hilarious and it pointed out how extremely conservative and ignorant America society still is in a lot of places. I didn't think The Dictator was especially funny, and the points he made may have been somewhat revelatory a decade ago, but post-recession and post-Iraq war they're just so obvious at this point.
    test
  16. Raphael

Raphael New Member

One of the awesome movies I've ever seen! Laughed all the way!
    test
  17. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Glad you found it entertaining.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.