The Coup's Boots Riley San Francisco Pd Profiling Victim

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

THE COUP'S BOOTS RILEY SAN FRANCISCO PD PROFILING VICTIM
    GUILTY OF "DRIVING WHILE BLACK" REPORTS SAN FRANCISCO BAY GUARDIAN

The Coup's Boots Riley – a long-standing outspoken political "raptivist" – was on the receiving end of racial profiling by the San Francisco's Police Department this past Memorial Day. In the early-morning hours of a day where Americans celebrate their freedom, Coup mastermind Boots (né Raymond) Riley found himself looking down the wrong end of the SFPD's gun barrel while innocently attending a get-together at a friend's warehouse in SF's Dogpatch-Waterfront zone.

According to a report in the San Francisco Bay Guardian, the thought-provoking rapper was guilty of simply "driving while black". "Riley had just parked his car near the warehouse when he was blinded by flashlights, and he realized that he was surrounded by cops," Guardian reporter Kimberly Chun reports.

"They were saying, 'Don't fucking move, don't fucking move,' and came straight at me," Riley told Chun this past Sunday (June 3rd) as he fed his kids breakfast in his Oakland home. "They put my hands above my head, searched me, and searched my car, even though they were looking for someone who was stealing tires. You know, if they had a description of a light-skinned black man with a big Afro and sideburns, maybe they should have taken me in. But they were yelling, 'Are you on probation? Do you have a warrant?' And every time I said no, they said, 'Don't lie to us. Don't fucking lie to us.'"

According to Chun, area resident Hoss Ward had been walking his dog by the warehouse when he spied officers with flashlights lurking between parked cars amid the trash on the street. "I thought that was weird. They didn't question me, but I'm a white man," he said later, verifying that Boots parked, got thrown against his car, and had guns pulled on him. "It's not unusual for someone to pull up in a beater car," Ward said. Yet this incident smelled like racial profiling: "That's what the vibe felt like."

"I walked over there and said, 'What the hell is going on?'" recounted Riley's friend Marci Bravo to The Guardian. Bravo, who lives at the warehouse, witnessed Riley's release but added, "It was really messed up. We fire off fireworks, burn things in the street, and there's been no problems with cops. They've actually come and hung out before. It's just a nasty case of police profiling."

In the end, Riley said, the officers didn't even check his ID. Police representatives have yet to respond to inquiries about the incident, however Riley is planning on filing a grievance with the city watchdog agency the Office of Citizens Complaints, a process that the longtime activist is, unfortunately, familiar with.

After a 1995 Riverside performance with Method Man, Riley and kindred local hip-hoppers Rass Cass, E-Roc, and Saafir were pulled over and pepper-sprayed in their car seats following a yelling argument at a club. A more recent incident during the Coup's 2006 tour in support of the ironically titled Epitaph album Pick a Bigger Weapon was equally disconcerting. Shortly after the group's tour manager urinated next to a semi at a Vermont rest stop, the tour vehicles were stopped by plainclothes officers who claimed to be surveilling a cocaine deal in the truck. "Half the band woke up with guns in their faces," the Coup leader told The SF Bay Guardian.

"There are stories all the time," Riley told the SFBG. "Everyone knows you used to get fucked with in San Francisco and Berkeley. Usually it's not anything with me specifically being a rapper," he continued. "I might have even more protection because of that. Like at this get-together, somebody came up and said, 'Don't you know who this is? This is Boots Riley.' They might not have known who I am, but they realize this isn't the regular case where they can do whatever they want."

For more information contact Hector Martinez, hector@epitaph.com 213.413.7353

http://blog.myspace.com/thecoupmusic
    test
  2. Tequila Jong-il

Tequila Jong-il SALAD TOSSER

If blacks dont want to get profiled they should stop commiting so many crimes.
    test
  3. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

if police would stop profiling blacks, the recorded crime rates among them would decrease a good bit

that said, Boots should really have tried harder not to be black while he was driving. fool....

oh...Boots = GOAT
    test
  4. Tequila Jong-il

identity-x = the only reason there is such a high number of recorded black criminals is that the police catch so many of them. It's the police's fault.

True. He should hit up soultan for some advice on that.
    test
  5. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

^^^ I didn't say that, nor do I believe that.
    test
  6. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Nah, player. They get me too. Me and Boots have even chopped it up about that shit.

Be dope if we could get car windows tinted that make us look like white college students when they're rolled up. You roll it down it's my big pointy black head in the wondow...
    test
  7. Tequila Jong-il

Stop lying, soultan. If you ever got pulled over by the cops it would be the proudest moment of your life.
    test
  8. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

I imagine a white cop pulls over soultan for some insagnificant traffic violation.
    Then Soultan probably starts vigorously ranting at the white cop who pulled him over for about an hour or so on how all black men rolling around in BMW's their daddies buy for them as Morehouse graduation presents are not drug dealers.

Seems about his speed.
    test
  9. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Trust funds, BMW's for graduation - what are y'all people on??!? Know how black rich families stay rich? They don't buy BMW's for their kids at graduation from college. From college? Let's see: Igot a mont blanc pen and some dope ass cigars (the latter being all I asked for.) From grad school? I got a watch. If you ever see me in some baller shit, I bought that.

And you know what I do for a living and that I'm paranoid of cops. You really think I'mma start yelling at white ones in L.A.?
    test
  10. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Someone can't take a joke... but the flamboyant response was expected.

lol @ Know how black rich families stay rich? mont blanc pen and some dope ass cigars. Don't give out 50 cents secerts.

After that I was laughing my ass off, I also couldn't believe blacks actually threw around words like RICH. I just suspected POOR was the only word blacks knew.

Though illegal, were the cigars Cuban by chance?

I was hoping. lol
    test
  11. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

What's the matter, mad no one will take u anywhere?
    No one said that. I said they don't stay rich by handing out benzes or bmw's. That's how you lose money: rewarding mediocrity with extravagance. I've seen it. Dumbasses with useless college degrees, no jobs, but 50k cars. See, tht's how new money works.

granted, I'm sure you don't know the difference whatsoever.
    Almost. I had asked my father for some Graycliff's. They shit on most cuban cigars (since the stock in cuban cigars has fallen qualitywise since the big popular burst of them over the past ten years; quality has gone down.) Graycliffs, while made by a cuban who once was Castro's personal cigar maker/roller, is made in my hometown of nassau. You know how at fine restaurants they used to give out fine cigars? In some places they'd even have cuban cigars? Well, at the Graycliff hotel/restaurant, they don't have cuban cigars. They literally have a cuban in the corner MAKIN' your damn cigar.

Now that's when I fell out laughin'. that's some Airplane or Airplane II the Sequel Type shit.

I was hoping. lol[/QUOTE]
    test
  12. Mr. Trin

Mr. Trin New Member

Nigga shouldn't have been ridin in a 79 Grenada last night.

But seriously.
    That's about on par for the course in the Bay as I remember it.
    Its hard to prove profiling in a court of law... much easier in the court of public opinion.

But seriously. There's so many more important issues that should take priority over this.
    test
  13. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

I know, but boots is a friend, and before that he was and remains to be my favorite rapper of all time, so I posted it.

btw: lol at your first line.
    test
  14. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

I wonder if 50 cent will get his kid a Lex or bwm. *Shrugs*

I really gotta get my ass to nassau, I deserve a cuban in the corner wrapping up my cigar.

How much are the Graycliff's?
    How much is the Air fare? Ball-park figure, what am I looking at?
    test
  15. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

500 or so. You can get a Graycliff in America, tho.
    test
  16. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Not a bad price.

I'd rather have my own personal cuban cigar wrapper.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.