the 3000gt is for sale :( - what should i get?

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Offbeat, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

anyone know of any nice looking, fast cars...?

i'll probably sell the car for around $4500-$5000, and maybe add in $500 of my own

reason being is it needs brake rotors + brakes, the whole job is about $1000... no thanks
    test
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

this is what i found in my neck of the woods so far

90 nissan 300zx
    91 mitsubishi 3000gt
    91 toyota supra
    test
  3. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

brakes and rotors, 1G? wtf.. u can change those urself. and no way its a grand..
    test
  4. lpoet

lpoet POET

thats what i was gonna say...whered you get that quote from
    test
  5. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

this shop

actually mitsubishi sells the rotors themselves for $600

so i dont think they're too off...
    test
  6. Mellow Madness

uhh sorry buddy but they are tryin to screw u over.. u can get zimmerman, brembo, ate, etc.. for madd cheap.. they r ripping u off.. easily.. wtf
    test
  7. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Only brakes that cost $1000 are Brembo big brake kit, which I had on two of my cars, and those actually cost about 1300 dollars. Otherwise a brake setup for your base 3000gt would cost about 450 if you get like a crossed drilled rotor setup.

edit.. the most expensive one I had was a Brembo 6 piston BBK for about 2200. Yeah crazy expensive but definitely needed on my Supra.
    test
  8. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

i see a 90 laser rs-t awd
    test
  9. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

you're looking at pretty quick cars, but they all suck as far as reliability. If you think $1,000 worth of repairs is enough to just dump your current car, what are you going to do when a turbo or engine blows on these pice of shit mitsubishits.

Speaking from past experience, I had a 1996 maxima for 3 or 4 years and it was by far the best car I've ever owned. It was SUPER fucking reliable, never had a problem with it, and I drove that shit hard. They have a huge aftermarket and with some rims and a drop, it is a dope ass looking car. They have a 3.0L VQ V6 engine (won the most reliable engine in the world for that year), and it's quick as shit. With a Budget Y-Pipe ($150), Intake, and a few other mods, you can run low 14's. Add some n02 or a S/C, you'll be low 13's.

Checkout Maxima.org for pictures and upgrades. They have a huge forum and following.
    test
  10. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

Well, the $1000 is basically killing me because the 3000GT is an expensive car to mod anyway...

I have FWD, so I'll need an LSD. Then I'll need alot of BPU. After that's done, I'll need a short throw kit. With that, there's over $1g spent already - and the BEST run I've seen n/a was 14 flat WITH the best driver... Nitrous may knock me down to the mid 13's at best... The TT conv would make my car pretty much unfuckwithable from a roll, but say bye bye to dragging... FWD + TT = no no... Not to mention I already spent over 700 on a burnt clutch, and 158k, the motor will be gone soon - not to mention there's some cosmetic shit I wanna fix. The car is basically a timebomb...

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Laser, simply because it COMES with a turbo so upgrades will be cheap in comparison to the 3000GT... PLUS I could do alot of the work myself and with my buddies. Changing a turbo is alot different from adding a TT, plus piping, plus a ECU, etc... know what I mean? Plus the AWD makes it's potential power to the ground alot more than the 3000GT.

The car has an UGLY front end. Maybe fresh paint will help, but it's definately not going to look like my 3000GT. Gas mileage should be better though...

The Laser might suit my needs best...
    test
  11. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Best of luck with whatever you choose, but Lasers are pieces of shit, you've been warned.
    test
  12. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

Why are they bad?

Aren't they the same as an Eclipse or Talon? My buddy has a Spyder, and his only problem was the top, and my other friend has a Talon, but hasn't had problems with it.
    test
  13. trifle

trifle New Member

dsm = maintenance galore
    test
  14. Extension

Extension PLZ DIE THX

ahahahahahahahhahaha i'll just shut up.
    test
  15. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

As well as shitty trannies. besides that, easy cars to make sleepers.

Why not put the money down on a newer car?
    test
  16. Extension

Extension PLZ DIE THX

Lazer dosnet have a spyder.
    test
  17. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

/\--If you re-read the sentence, it seems he was referring to the Eclipse.
    test
  18. Mellow Madness

at my job we sell zimmerman, brembo, balo, ate, etc.. and the brembos.. are the worst.. quality out the bunch.. we mainly sell the zimmermans.. or the cross-drilled rotors.. on majority of the lines.. BUT on VW many people ask for the brembos, but on porsches, bmw, benz.. zimmerman only..

but i know what u mean about the full setup

OH YA BUT I SELL TO INDEPENDENT SHOPS AND DEALERSHIPS.. SO OF COURSE THEY GET THE WHOLE SALE PRICE PRETTY MUCH.. FORGOT TO MENTION..
    test
  19. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

Nope.. they use the cheaper Zimmermans and for high priced brakes they use StopTech and others do use Brembo's.
    test
  20. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

huh...
    The Brembo's were on my Supras. Out of ALLL the people I know that are into drag racing, show, or some sort of organized racing circuit, they use Brembo's and Stoptech. Stoptech was what I was going to buy, but the deal I got on the Brembo's where a steal.
    Here is what I bought as well
    6-piston Big Brake Kit for the Front
    2-piece 355mm (14.0”) rotors, Cross-Drilled and Slotted or just Slotted
    Anodized black caliper mounting brackets
    2-piece cast aluminum 6-piston calipers in choice of red or blue
    Rotora street performance pads for the front
    Stainless steel braided DOT-approved brake lines for the front
    Requires 18” Wheels

Never warped, never showed a sign of fading, rode them hard as fuck with the sudden need to stop after a highway run. NEver had a bad experience with them, thus the reason I stay with them. Anyway, on Porsches and many high priced sports cars they run Brembos, stock. I am not sure why they get other brake setups unless they just need them for everyday driving in which Zimmermans make plenty of sense. Otherwise myself, and many other ppl are buying Brembo's, and StopTech for their high horsepowered cars. ANd to say the quality on Brembo's are subpar to Zimmermans is completely ridiculous. I guess that is why F1's use Brembo's....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.