Teen Prodigy, Misskey, Ixtlan, Jeus, Hot Shyt...

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Konscious, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Oh, I love The Lost Album, probably my favorite album released this year. But it doesn't sound anything like the rest of his stuff, it's not R&B at all, which is why it was lost in the first place.
    test
  2. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Let me run some names by you guys and you tell me what you think of each one:

Goapele
    Kindred the Family Soul
    Dwele
    Eric Roberson
    Raheem DeVaughn
    Remy Shand
    Marlon Saunders
    Nuwamba
    test
  3. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Goapele, I honestly haven't heard enough of her to give you any real analysis.
    "Closer" was my junk though.

Kindred The Family Soul, I absolutely adore this group. They bring an honest representation of Soul music to the table. Their music is always impassioned and emotive.

Dwele, He's great for hooks here and there. Never been much of a fan though. He's got weak vocals. And really isn't holding on to much raw vocal talent. I could listen to "Hold On" for hours at a time though.

Eric Roberson, The man behind Dwele's "Hold On". This guy's an incredible songwriter. He leaves a lot to be desired vocally, but it's hard to over look someone who just understands what R&B music is all about.

Raheem DeVaughn, love this kid's vocals. I haven't delved into his music as much as I should, but that may soon change.

Remy Shand, It's been a while since I've heard any RS, but I remember him being Robin Thicke...before Robin Thicke.

Not familiar with Nuwamba.
    test
  4. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I pretty well agree with everything Ix said on each of those artists, except on Remy Shand. He had much less mainstream appeal by comparison to RT. I'd say Remy had better compositions and his lyrics were more oblique. He wasn't the best vocalist, but it's too bad he quit, he had great potential.
    test
  5. sagacious infant

sagacious infant reflecting the sun

Kindred the Family Soul
    Dwele
    Eric Roberson

I can only really comment on these three.

Kindred - I first heard of them in 2000 when I was still trying to get into Black Lily. Everyone kept telling me there was this husband and wife I had to see and then I heard a demo of the songs they had been performing. It was pretty much everything from the first album. I was glued to the speaker. And still couldn't get into Black Lily. I think their first album is a lot more organic and thought out - perhaps like most first albums. Each song had a special place and meaning beyond what was being sung. The second album is good, but it definitely doesn't have the same feel as the first for me. (I know, I'm all emotion, right?)

Dwele - Heard him in my college years too. 2002 at a cookout in Long Island this song comes with a dude singing "Oh oh..oh oh" and (I'm not making this up) everyone stops and starts nodding their heads to the music. It's a take on Stevie Wonders "Too High" and he's singing about women he's stepped to that were "Too Fly" and I was hooked. Until I heard the rest of the demo. Then yet another demo came out and I appreciated that one much more. I love the work he's done with Slum Village. To be honest, I haven't bought anything from him - I still go off the demos. Dang, there's this one track I'd play over and over on launch music though - I want to say it's the one Ix mentioned, but I can't remember the name of it.

Eric Roberson - I'm from New Jersey. A lot of us like house music. I grew up on it and the first track I heard from Eric Roberson (Erro) was "Change for Me." I saw him live in the park this summer and he put on a good show. He did a lot of the songs he's written for other people. (namely Musiq) I respect his hustle. He had his famlee on the side selling cds. The show itself was free - but I'm sure he made some good money that day. One of the cds I bought I can't find :( I think it was the latest one he put out. The other was an oldie with "Change for Me" on it (like I don't have it on five other cds) and his music can come across as sad. I like his vocals when he's not dragging. He sounds good live too.
    test
  6. Ixtlan

To be sure. I just think he was similar in form.
    test
  7. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

test
  8. Ixtlan

Javier's a poor man's Eric Benet. Next...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.