Teen Prodigy, Misskey, Ixtlan, Jeus, Hot Shyt...

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Konscious, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

...and all you other R&B connoisseurs, what are some contemporary joints, old and new that you can recommend to me? I'm coming back from a hiatus of sorts from contemporary R&B and soul, because I just wasn't flat out feeling anybody.

As of late, I bought the new Chrisette Michelle, Donnie's 1st joint, and Van Hunt's 1st joint... props to Speedy for keeping that brother in my mental rolodex, because that album is superb!! I'm also feeling Anthony Hamilton, who's next on my hit list. He's got that ole, gritty Bobby Womack style to him, like K-Ci and Sisquo, two of the best male R&B singers of the '90s (hate all you want, but that's real talk)

Y'all seen me post for a good minute and tend to know my style, right? Sorry Ixt, but I still can't get into your girl India nor your boy Musiq. I'm not crazy about India's voice and I think her writing is too pretentious... like, "look at me, I write poetry"... those types always suck. I never felt Musiq at all. He just doesn't move me. I'm trying to listen to some more Amy Winehouse, because I think my judgement of her was premature. I'm not a fan of the pop queens like Rihanna, Ciara, Beyonce, MJB, so don't bother with them.

Anyway, let the recommendations roll in!
    test
  2. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I hate your face!!!

Here are a few of my suggestions:
    [Love For Sale] - Bilal,
    This album pushes the boundaries of conventional R&B music.
    Everything from Blues, to Jazz, to R&B/Soul to Alternative. Bilal is simply rewriting the rules with this one.

[Cheers 2 U] - Playa,
    One of the absolute best albums to have been released in the 90's.
    And probably in my Top 10 since 1998. If it hadn't been for their affiliation with Timbaland, Missy Elliott they might've truly made something of themselves. This is the ONE album I would recommend to every fan of R&B/Soul.

[Surrender] - Kut Klose,
    Another of the 90's darkhorses I highly recommend. If you were a fan of Jodeci and SWV you'll love this one.

[Make It Hot] - Nicole Wray,
    Again, clearly one of the best slept-on releases of the 90's. Nicole Wray is something special and this is as meaty an album as you could get from an R&B artist in their late-20's let alone a young 19-year old act. We're beginning to see the problem with aligning yourself with industry types who'd rather be artists than successful executives. Missy and Timbaland sure know how to spoil a career.

[Kima, Keisha, Pam] - Total,
    If you'll forgive the artists chosen to sing on this record and the contributions by the R&B killers "Timbaland/Missy"... This is one of the more complete records I've heard since its release. Very well produced. Everything from your firestarter club jawns to soft ballads... This album is surprisingly good.
    test
  3. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

So this album is finally out?

It's a must-have, no questions asked.

I have heard the name before, but I don't recall hearing any of this act's material. Is it a guy, girl, or group? I'll check it out.

I remember them. I didn't like them much. I only liked Coco of SWV, who's now singing gospel.

I've seen that name before. Isn't she also a pin-up model?

I never totally got into Total. I did like "Can't You See," mainly because of Biggie and the James Brown sample... and I also liked their collab with Talib Kweli.
    test
  4. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Lewis Taylor - Stoned Pt. 2 (As far as I know, there is no Pt 1 available so I don't know why it's pt 2)

Anthony David - 3 Chords and the Truth & The Red Clay Chronicles (the first is a better whole, but the latter has a song or two better than any song on the first)

Amos Lee - Supply and Demand - sort of a folk soul.

Raul Midon - State of Mind - uplifting/positive R&B from a blind multi-instrumentalist and virtuoso guitarist.

Donnie's second album strikes me as more unfocused than his first and somewhat rushed even after 5 years. There are too many one line choruses too many 5 minutes songs that sound stretched at the 3 minute mark.

By contrast, I love Van Hunt's second album, it's unfocused too, but only musically, which makes it really eclectic and he's a good enough musician and lyricist to make it all hang together.

Oh, and I also recommend JJ Grey and Mofro's Country Ghetto, it's less straightforward R&B but R&B is defnitely an element, along with southern rock and blues.

Most of that is from last year or the year before....you picked a pretty good time to take a hiatus, you haven't missed much.
    test
  5. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I don't think it's out yet.
    You'll have to get your pirate on to check this one out.
    I think they're still revising the tracklisting.

I know Sa-Ra released their own version of "Hollywood" on their album so I think it may not appear on the official version of LFS.

Three-man group. You'll thank me for picking this one up.
    This is easily the best album on my list.

Hell she could be doing a little bit of everything now after fooling with Missy's ass. I swear her and Timbaland have derailed more R&B careers than a little bit. If Bobby V hadn't rebounded the list would be even longer.

Where the hell is Tweet?
    Her first album's an honorable mention on my list.

Dude they suck, but this is a good album.
    test
  6. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I kinda get that about him... his message is greater than his music.

I'll definitely check out those others you named.
    test
  7. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

yeah that Playa - cheers 2 U is a borderline classic, Timbaland & Tank produced the album and that was Timbaland in his early days, One In A Million & Supa Dupa Fly days. I think Tank is in that group actually, I can't remember, oh well.

That new Joss Stone is a jammin album to me, Raphael Saadiq produced the whole thing

Governor - Son Of Pain is a pretty good album as well
    test
  8. Speedy Gunzalez

Speedy Gunzalez Awareness is my Alias

No doubt, b. Van Hunt is that dude!!

I would also recommend Amp Fiddler's new jawn "Afro Strut"

and

Vikter Duplaix's "Bold and Beautiful"

and

Both of Julie Dexter's classic albums "Dexterity" and "Conscious"
    test
  9. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Damn Speedy, you're an underground soul fanatic... I haven't heard of any of those names. You and The Jeus be really flying below the radar.

I forgot about Corrine Bailey Rae. She's my favorite right now. I bought her album last year and I rebought it when she reissued it this year with a bonus CD of covers and remixes. She's the top student in the Billie Holiday school that Chrisette Michelle and Amy Winehouse are attending.
    test
  10. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Haha, I went for stuff you might not have heard of; I figured you already knew enough about folks like John Legend and Robin Thicke.

I forgot to mention Alice Smith - For Lovers, Dreamers, and Me.
    test
  11. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

ha...I used to listen to Julie Dexter...I like her Piece Of Mind EP

Adriana Evans as well as Amel Larieux from Groove Theory all of hers except that one she dropped this year which was horrible.

also try Rhian Benson & Res...that is all
    test
  12. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Have you heard any of his new stuff on his myspace or official website? New album due out in January.
    test
  13. Speedy Gunzalez

What?!... *runs to Van Hunt's myspace*

Good looks, jeus.
    test
  14. Speedy Gunzalez

Julie also has a collabo album with a producer, I forget his name, entitled "Moon Bassa"

I can't wait til Res drops another album... she recently performed here in Chicago, like a couple weeks ago.
    test
  15. Speedy Gunzalez

I can't find her album in stores and everything online seems to selling for like $20+

This sister's bad, but I ain't tryin to spend that much money.
    test
  16. sagacious infant

sagacious infant reflecting the sun

I got into him on a search for some house music. He's dope - can't really sing that great, but I dig his shit. Have you heard his mix on DJ Kicks? A lot to appreciate there.

I haven't been too heavy into R&B lately...I guess more house and pop. If you dig synthesizers/dance music/Prince - I say try some J*DaVey. It's good stuff. Wish I could contribute more.
    test
  17. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Haha, no doubt. I found it at Borders, but I haven't really seen it anywhere else now that you mention it.
    test
  18. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I just checked AMG and there is a part 1, but it's selling for over 50 bucks at Amazon. I'll listen to the samples later and tell you what I think. Here's the cover art:

[​IMG]
    test
  19. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I just checked and it looks like I have part 1, not part 2. But it has different cover art.
    test
  20. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I saw that other album cover you were referring to... it's called just "Stoned" and it contains more tracks than Pt. 1... so maybe it's a combination of Pt. 1 and 2?

Anyway, I listened to some samples and they weren't bad... however, I was more impressed with the material from his self-titled debut... I may get that first and maybe get Stoned later.

Have you heard his Lost album?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.