Tale of Tha Fucked Up Quality On An $6000+ Setup...Help Me Solve This Mystery ANYONE

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by *Twisted*, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black Panther

black Panther New Member

the noise is comin' from the cables...power cables operate at certain frequencies and generate their own noise...when cables are operating at diff. freq. they tend to bleed over into the other cables signal path and generate what is known as a HUM.........it's kinda like that noise u hear when u are around POWER LINES and u hear that HUMMIN' NOISE...yea, put ur recordin' equip. on the SAME power strip...and get some better insulated BALANCED cables...AND U'LL BE SET...
    test
  2. *Twisted*

*Twisted* aka Black Knight

lazerus....ALL MY Cables ARE MOGAMI GOLD CABLES....EXCEPT FOR THE ONE THAT CAME WITH THA SOLIDTUBE......Thats like a stock akg cable that goes from the mic to the power supply....could that cable be the weak link?

Only reason I left the stock akg cable with the soldtube is because the mogami gold mic cables were a different pin configuration than akg solidtube cable....which had like 5 holes instead of 3.....so I just left that cable....
    test
  3. KhanDST

KhanDST New Member

i like to compress, de ess, de pop, noise reduction, then eq...ehh works for me
    test
  4. *Twisted*

I dont kno yo..i tried mixin my vocals with tha "less is more" technique...just a lil EQ, some Compression, and reverb and they sound like shit ta me...WTF
    test
  5. Tech Tonic

Tech Tonic The Enigma Of HipHop

well my 2 cents

after i got all my equipment i stopped using presets..

so first i amplify what needs to be
    then i'll do a noise reduction to get rid of room hisses, if you can hear city sounds in your room then youll need to but since you have a booth there may be no need to
    then ill play with the hi mid and lows and play with the parametric eq then ill do a compression maybe a reverb b4 that and thats it..its all really trial and error thats how i learned

hope it helps

peace
    test
  6. *Twisted*

No doubt Fam....Big Ups..I appreciate that
    test
  7. kniteshift

kniteshift That ain't my alphabet b

maybe impedance maybe the problem. How long are your cables?
    OR the electrical cable might be too close to your input cables, try zip tying the input cables to the input cables.
    test
  8. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

your are over processing your mix... WAY over processing it man....

you basically need to learn how to mix

and stop using cool edit/adobe audition (learn a better program to match your dope setup)....they have the worst presets ever. Stop using presets...period.

and telling by your raw acapella, you sound like you have a ground loop going on in your signal chain... that is most likely coming from the power supply for your microphone being in close proximity to another object emitting a eletrical signal, like a preamp or something. It could also be the object that your power supply is sitting on.

as far as "not compressing first"... thats quite the bit of BS... you can do either one first... you should experiment with how you want your track to sound, you can work some light compression in first, and tehn eq or vice versa... there is no SET way to mix, its funny that people are in here saying that, and in the same sentence saying "o you should never compress frist though".
    Compression is used sometimes as the first thing in a signal chain, when recording... mic > preamp> compressor... because of the certain "sound" it gives a vocal... then its on to the eq.

it's all on what your aiming for soundwise, and what your trying to acheive overall in your mix.

don't believe the hype.
    test
  9. *Twisted*

^^^ wow I like this cat....thats some of the knowledge I been lookin for...

Big ups fam...

ALSO....MY Blue Robbie Preamp and My AKG Solidtube Power Supply Are RIGHT BESIDE each other (Side By Side)....

^^^^ Maybe thats it!!!!
    test
  10. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

i have a small hum in my raw vocals also but i get rid of it with noise reduction i never thought that the cables might be the problem because i use all mogami gold cables and 2 monster cables from mon's to soundcard
    test
  11. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

there is no way to explain using a noise reduction if your runnin a lynx 2 card, and a fuckin robbie pre.... plain and simple... unless you got some shitty ass cables that have some magic interference
    test
  12. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

you said
    "In this picture, you can see the side of the microphone....there is a DB switch for "0DB" or "-20DB"...I leave it on "0DB"

your vocals sound muffled to me, put that on -20db.... thats the low cut on the mic
    try that and post an accapella that way
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

funny, cause i've never had that problem

you're probably recording your signal too hot so your noise floor is rising up to a noticable level

turn down the gain on your preamp, it's not analog, you dont need to record as hot as possible...

why the hell would you gate vocals? lol, and doing ANYTHING before you record is a no no, as you can't undo it later when mixing. record EVERYTHING dry, no comps, no reverbs, NOTHING except the mic > pre > recorder. thats it.

thats the most useful advice out of your post...it's a good place to start, but i'd really look into finding out what your doing as opposed to just doing it

ok, now for your track, that hum is 60hz and is caused by electrical wiring...so you have one of the following problems:

a) your cables arent sheilded properly
    b) something isnt correctly grounded
    c) you have a ground loop

actually, it's the pad switch, not the low frequency roll off, and it's in the right position for using the mic for vocals, unless of course he's clipping his preamp without adding any gain to it, in which case it needs to be switched to the -20 setting

there should be another switch that looks like this /---- that needs to be selected as whatever position is the on position, and it IS the low frequency roll off. This will help with that unwanted noise (including that hum if it's caused by an external thing being recorded by the microphone) and is one of the reasons you'll never need noise reduction on decent gear
    test
  14. SKWIRL

SKWIRL New Member

i didnt look close enough, i was just thinkin he needed to do the low freq rolloff.

and as far as the hum.... i agree that its electrical, and power related, but he has no power conditioner.... sometimes you can get by wothout one, (i still highly recommend one) but sometimes its required. i think this is one of those times.
    i think that hum would be taken care of with a power conditioner
    test
  15. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

You do not use a gate on vocals, gates are for drums, etc.
    You use a limiter, or compresser.

Man, your sittin there sayin "could this be it?
    SPACE EM APART, away from the computer screen, and then tell us.
    Also, check Lynx's website, see if they have any updates, do everything you can, because honestly, without us bein there, we can't tell WHAT the problem is.
    test
  16. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

what do you mean recording signal too hot?

it's not my gain... the little knob is at like 10 oclock. and i dont use any effects on the roland, no tube, nothing. just solid state, raw signal straight to the computer.
    test
  17. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

here's a quick sample (my mic is next to the window but i forgot that i had it open so you might be able to hear some shit in the background)

1st Sample = Raw, 2nd Sample = Noise Reduction, 3rd Sample = Noise Reduction, 2:1 Compression & Parametric EQ

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=379195&songID=2820315

^ even with a fairly good setup like a shure ksm32, emu1212m and roland mmp-2, noise reduction will still help quite a bit.
    test
  18. Syntax_Mastery

you can gate vocals....lmao!

gating vocals is useful in situations when you have alot of headphone bleed... you can gate that bleed out. Because honestly... not everyone has the perfect setup man. Not everyone knows to record in the booth with closed backs, and even some closed backs have leakage, when the artist wants the music blaring in there cans.

It can be the equivalent of silencing blank spots, in the vocal signal. If used incorrectly or if too much gating is applied... THATS when you have a problem, because you'll get alot of "fades"... then you want to lower your gate some.

Gating can also be used as an effect in some cases, but thats mostly dealing with tracking rock bands.
    test
  19. TruMentillz

TruMentillz SampleRapist

noise reduction....i would hope not with ur setup...

i dont like to fuck with anything i dont have to...

all i do is eq my vocals...make sure the levels agree with eachother (instro, other verses)

make sure the vocals dont clip..along with the beat...

ABSOLUTELY NO PRESETS!

no de-ess...

all that shit takes away from the overall vocal quality...it may help a line or two...but the rest is then trash...

thats me tho...
    test
  20. Syntax_Mastery

the acoustics in your room are killing the full potential of your setup. You should try and build some sort of booth, or put up some foam in your room too kill the reflections.

i can hear the buzz in your raw vocals, but it also might be from outside.

also what your doing with your compression, can be done with amplification. Your vocals don't need to be compressed in this situation. Compression doesnt always have to be done. Neither does equalization. You should learn to use them as they are needed, if a certain frequency needs boosting or what have you.

the main thing you need to do though is adjust your room acoustics. That will make a huge difference.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.