Tale of Tha Fucked Up Quality On An $6000+ Setup...Help Me Solve This Mystery ANYONE

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by *Twisted*, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

i eq my vocals first, but i turn down all the frequencies below 125khz or so.
    test
  2. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Sorry for the delay, I was out and about doin some ... dirt.

Anyways, the micing process is almost 100% whats fucking this up.
    Here's what youi should do, record the shit raw, making sure the gianl is clean as can be.
    THEN you add ONLY what it needs.
    Thats all there is to it.
    Does it need a kick in the highs? If so, add that, need bass cut, do that.
    If it dont, dont do SHIT.
    Thats how recording is man, and you were stressin for no reason, the equipment is golden, the mixing process was garbage.
    test
  3. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

Hep what you mean turn down all the frequencies? So if you cut at 125hz the compressor won't do anything to the lows? please explain.
    test
  4. kniteshift

kniteshift That ain't my alphabet b

There shouldn't BE a specific order, you should never compress first though.. as the first step.

Some people would EQ then Compress and EQ again to edit their compression.

Mix differently EVERYTIME. You don't want your diss tracks to sound like your love songs.
    test
  5. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

i jus turn down all the frequencies at 100khz and below i mean. on the 30band eq i jus pull all the faderse left of 100khz down. i dunno if im supposed to tho. haha. i read somewhere to roll off everythign below 100khz on vocals, but i dunno wat roll off means. im guessin have all the faders start "fading down" i guess. so it curves but i dunno.
    test
  6. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Damn BK.... still having problems cuzzo? First thing I'm noticing is that people are telling you to do noise reduction first.... however, when u compress it's gonna turn your background noise up some. You've told me u like my sound so here is what I do:

1. Record vocals
    2. Compress (fuck what u heard)
    3. Noise reduction.... (I have my level at 70-79% so that it makes a difference without adding that metallic sound to your vocals)
    4. EQ
    5. Reverb
    6. De-Ess

PLEASE try to stay away from presets. I have to admit that I still use presets for compression because I can't seem to get it right still but I freestyle everything else.

Good luck with that shit cuz.
    test
  7. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

well noise reduction depends on more than just his equipment... it depends on the room acoustics also (which shouldn't be a problem cuz he has a booth)
    test
  8. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

the thing that concerns me about his booth is that it has no roof..... but u save $2000 over buying a WhisperRoom.....
    test
  9. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

noise reduction is typically used to remove the noise thats inherently present in shitty gear....THATS what it's for, not to help with poor room acoustics
    test
  10. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

i havent used noise reduction since i stopped recording on a computer mic years ago.
    test
  11. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

there's always still some kinda noise, granted it's not very noticeable though like a cpu fan for example or whatever it may be. i use an emu1212m roland mmp2 and ksm32 and i still use noise reduction because personally i think my quality sounds much better after i take out that lil unneeded noise.
    test
  12. Mr. Verbalist

I got your same setup, except an AT4040 for the mic. I never use noise reduction, it makes that wierd ass noise, and plus with that good of equipment, you don't need it. I get no static noise or anything. I'll silent my breathing or kicking the microphone stand or scratching my ass before I spit, but that's about it. :)
    test
  13. black Panther

black Panther New Member

for the noise u wanna filter out of ya track...do a slight roll off around 60hz, apply a gate...DO NOT USE NOISE REDUCTION...unless u have shitty equipment...u should always compress LIGHTLY b4 to get a nice clean level signal...don't even worry about other effect...JUST PRACTICE gettin' ur vocals to sound good DRY...once u figure that out...then u can start fukkin' around with EFFECTS....gotta walk b4 u can run....

just fukkk around with tons of COMPRESSION RATIOS until u know what SOUNDS BAD and what SOUNDS GOOD....and pick a CD who'S SOUND U LIKE and listen to that AGAINST WHAT UR DOIN'...it'll help u get a better feel for where u trynna go with ur sound..

holla

u can lissen to sum of my shit if u want

http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=922516
    test
  14. *Twisted*

*Twisted* aka Black Knight

So some cats is sayin DONT COMPRESS FIRST....

LCD...Why You be compressin first? It Dont Matta? I heard from SOMEONE WAAAY Back
    that I should compress first thats why I've always be doin it like that....Plus you kno I HATE noise reductions...but only did them ta get rid of that hum..where i didnt kno where tha fuck it was commin from.....

I know in my MIX....I OVERDOES it....but see.....in 50 Cent's "massacre album" I love the way tha vocals sound in that bitch...like tha vocal quality sounds amazin ta me...like it sound overprocessed..but i like it....So I was tryin ta get my vocals ta sound just like that...
    Nah mean...

ALso Kaotic33....Nah yo...my bad for jumpin tha gun on you nah mean....
    There is a serious matter tho...I"m irratated as fuck....my equipment aint workin right...and you come in my thread an ax me how much my booth cost.....

ITs all love...you just caught me at a bad time..

I REALLY APPRECIATE THA INPUT FROM EVERYONE....

Heres A RAW Acapella from my "Intro" track....
    "Raw Accapella"
    test
  15. Mr. Verbalist

Sounds better than the shit on your audios. It SOUNDS to me that it's the acoustics making a wierd ass HUM noise that your talking about. Is the mic right up against the booth wall? That's what it sounds like to me is your acoustics in your booth, I know you got that dope ass booth, but It shouldn't sound like that. Oh and I'd be pissed if I were you and my shit wasn't working how it should be ... Hopefully someone will be able to help you out ... I suck on room acoustics, so I don't wanna tell you the wrong thing, that's just what it sounds to me though ...

Good luck w/ everything.
    test
  16. *Twisted*

fuck yo...this shit is soooo irratating...
    test
  17. black Panther

black Panther New Member

are u recordin' in a rum with other electrical equip? man, if u are...try to put all ur recordin' equip. on the same power strip...cause i hear a HUM in the bkgrnd...u sure u haven't done anythin' to the vocals? sounds like u've done some eqin' on this...u should take down the 1khz area...boost the 50hz are a bit...roll off around 9khz with a really low q....then boost round 15khz to bring out some highs....give a slight boost in the 3khz-4khz range....
    test
  18. Mr. Verbalist

Yup, I know what it sounds like now. You know what you turn your gain all the way up and put your mic near your speakers, that's the sound it makes, not as bad but that's what it sounds like. That Humming noise.
    test
  19. *Twisted*

Nah yo...those vocals is straight raw....untouched.....I dont know where tha fuck that hum is commin from and i have no idea how ta get rid of it....I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA....
    test
  20. *Twisted*

thats crazy though....cuz my mic is inside tha booth and the preamp is on tha outside......are you sure the hum is from that? ...Although....my preamp and my mic's power supply are side by side.....could that be it?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.