Taking a survey....

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by Synopsis, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

an unknown artist had his CD online for FREE, BUT you had to pay shipping, would you get it? say you liked half or more of the tracks on the CD??

full packaging to...
    test
  2. Selph X Playned

Selph X Playned Too Raw 4 TV

if i had heard of him before, of course...

but if you had your cd online, why would we need shipping? its online...

you silly goose...
    test
  3. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

that brings up a good question. Would you rather just download it and screw the professional package??

problem with this though, how can units sold be reported...
    test
  4. Selph X Playned

If its pressed and not a cd-r or even has a nice insert and cd artwork (not magic marker or crayon) then yea, its worth the shipping...

but also, how could u report the units you gave away (only for shipping) as bein sold?
    test
  5. Just Wrong

Just Wrong J Dot

ive been pondering this idea myself

instead of getting signed to a record company, just get "signed" to a promotional co. and have a "release date".. being the date it is avalible to dl, give the music to the most people possible, and if it is good, they will come to your shows... as long as the promotional co. makes the word on your shows known, and people will buy merchandice n shit, and respect you for saying what you wanted, and making a good album and not just a mix of generic singles, and gimmiky songs

obviously offer some sort of professional package to anyone who wanted it, but it would be distributed on an order to order basis, and you could easily sell for cost + shipping

plus if you had your own site you could get banners and shit and get loot there too, to fund your venture

any thoughts?
    test
  6. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

yeah fully pressed with cover and insert and artwork on the cd face. Im figuring, if I charge you a penny, i still sold it to you...right?
    test
  7. Selph X Playned

That's like me givin you $2 for gas money to drive over to my house to bring me the cd. I payed for your expenses to get it to me, I didn't pay for your cd.
    test
  8. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

not if you give me $2.01. you gave me $2 for gas and $.01 for the CD
    test
  9. Selph X Playned

Or not.

If that's how you wanna look at it, sure. You could look at it like Jay Z makes all $20 off of every single cd sold, but it wouldn't be exactly correct.
    test
  10. Just Wrong

Just Wrong J Dot

why not just explain how much each cd costs to make and have them pay cost + shipping...

youd still make nothing, but you wouldnt lose much either.... and it would end all this how can i you track sales with no sale $$ debaclery
    test
  11. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

labels care about 2 things. Spins and Units. So if one could generate 2000 units sold but lose $1000 and get a distribution deal, then really it was worth it.
    test
  12. Selph X Playned

Or you could lie to the label and claim you sold 5,000 when in reality you sold 83 including your family.

Not sayin you are doin that, just sayin you could with the strategy you're taken
    test
  13. Synopsis

Synopsis New Member

naw, they need proof. UPC codes, receipts, something. otherwise anyone can say anything
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.