Supplement of the week #4: Essential Fatty Acids(EFAs)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

As found in fish oil: Eating oily fish on a regular basis is not appealing to most people. Not only that, oily fish are not easily available in many parts of the country. However, fish oil supplements offer a convenient and easy way to get the benefits of fish oils.

Fish oils are derived from the fat of deep-sea, cold water fish and are a natural source of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). Omega-3 is an important nutrient for maintaining a healthy brain and nervous system. Fish Oils themselves are said to contribute to healthy heart function and joint flexibility as well as supporting brain, nerve, and visual function.

A premium fish oil naturally supplies the Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.

"An enormous amount of medical literature testifies to the fact that fish oils prevent and may help to ameliorate or reverse atherosclerosis, angina, heart attack, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. Fish oils help maintain the elasticity of artery walls, prevent blood clotting, reduce blood pressure and stabilize heart rhythm."

"The human brain is one of the largest "consumers" of DHA. A normal adult human brain contains more than 20 grams of DHA. Low DHA levels have been linked to low brain serotonin levels which again are connected to an increased tendency to depression, suicide, and violence. A high intake of fish has been linked to a significant decrease in age-related memory loss and cognitive function impairment and a lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. A recent study found that Alzheimer's patients given an omega-3-rich supplement experienced a significant improvement in their quality of life."

"Several studies have established a clear association between low levels of omega-3 fatty acids and depression"

Go research fish oil, it's great for you, and it's cheap and readily available, TAKE FISH OIL.

I could have probably done a whole nother thread on flax seed as well but I'll stick it in here because of its EFAs:

What is Flax Seed?
    Flax seeds are a great source of fiber, lignans, protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals. We will examine each of these nutrients.

Researchers also believe lignans to have antioxidant properties. Flax seed has 75 to 800 percent more lignans than other vegetables and grains! Making flax seed worth the investment.

Protein

For every 100 grams of flax seeds, you get about 25-30 grams of protein, which is great considering the other nutrients you get along with this.

Fat

Flax seed is one of the best sources for the essential fatty acid alpha linolenic acid. Alpha linolenic acid is so important for bodybuilders because it "enhances insulin sensitivity within muscle cells." (1) This omega-3 fatty acid also has many other beneficial effects:

"Stimulating steroid production Systemization of hormones Mediating immune response Directing endocrine hormones to target cells Regulating smooth muscle and autonomic reflexes Construction of healthy cell walls Transportation of oxygen to body cells Keeping saturated fats mobile in the blood stream Regulation of nerve transmission Serving as the primary energy source for the heart muscle" (2)
    Those are just some of the beneficial effect of Omega-3. Omega-3's are sometimes defined as "anti-fats". This is due to their ability to speed up the metabolic process and aid in fat loss.
    test
  2. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

Yep. I've been taking Fish Oils since forever.
    They're cheap so I would say they are an essential vitamin for any athlete.
    I take them but they don't make me lose the winter depression. Oh well.

My mom takes flax oil but I don't really see much difference, bsides the protein so I don't take it.
    test
  3. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

I've been taking fish nutrients since I was in the womb...

It helps grease the space between nerves where brain synapsis occurs.

And if you've been rolling on XO's, it helps take the edge off the come down.
    test
  4. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

i gotta get some of that stuff...
    test
  5. MagicDonJuan

wow my homegirl just argued with me and said that they werent good for you (flax seeds) and they increase cholestoral wow how uninformed.
    test
  6. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

i mix a tablespoon or so of flax seed oil with salad dressing and put it over salad, greens, or fresh veggies. Deeeelish!
    test
  7. MagicDonJuan

^that sounds.......
    ight
    ......no comment
    test
  8. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

???

do explain, sir...
    test