Supplement of the week-#1-Whey Protein

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

So every week me and Snikka will be highlighting a different supplement. Throw in your input, any information you feel we may have missed, your opinions on it, your experience with the supplement(if any), any questions, etc. Contribute. Keep this forum busy. Now on to one of the most important supplements in weight lifting....

This week's supplement-Whey protein

So where exactly does this godly powder come from? It comes from milk. During the process of turning milk into cheese, whey protein is separated out and packaged for your consumption...Mmmmmmmm. Whey protein is great because it contains many essential amino acids and is a precursor to building muscle.

It also contains BCAAs(Branched chain amino acids). BCAAs are needed for the maintenance of muscle tissue and preserve muscle stores of glycogen (a storage form of carbohydrate that can be converted into energy).BCAAs also help prevent muscle protein breakdown during exercise.

Dosage varies. I take about 60 grams per day, including days off. Usually 30 after a workout, and 30 before bed.

Whey helps build and repair muscles, provides energy, and helps improve immune system. It abosrbs quickly, contains usually around 20 grams of protein per serving, contains aminos, and is quikcly prepared. If you have any knowledge of body building, you probably already use it, if not, get it.

I use Optimum 100% whey. They have a lot of different flavors and have had the best taste of any whey powder I've had. I've stuck with them for about a year now.

Tired of the old milk and powder blend and drink? Here's a few recipes:

Pudding:
    One pack of vanilla sugar free pudding mix
    2 cups of milk
    4 scoops of whey protein powder.

Make it just like it says to on the box, but add the whey protein, let it set for 10 or so minutes in the fridge and you have a very high protein snack

Calories 190
    Protein 24.5

Protein Bar:
    3 Cups Oatmeal
    1/2 Cup Natural Peanut butter
    1 cup Skim Milk
    4 Scoops Protein Powder
    dash of cinnamon

Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)

use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)

top with 4-8 packets splenda

put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:

11g fat (good monounsaturated fats)
    26g carbs
    21g protein

285 calories

Strawberry and Banana bars:
    Makes 6 bars
    1 cup raw oatmeal
    5 scoops of strawberry protein powder ( 90g of protein)
    1/4 cup fat free cream cheese
    1/2 cup non fat dry milk powder
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 bananas, mashed
    2 tsp. canola oil (this is the secret to moist bars instead of the traditional dry bar)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9x9 square pan with cooking spray & set aside. In a med.ium bowl combine oatmeal, Protein powder & dry milk. Set aside. In another bowl beat together with an electric hand mixer, cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water & oil. Add the oat mixture & continue to beat until the two are combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Calories-203, Protein 22g, Carbs 22g, Fats 3g

Ice Cream:

1 or 1/2 frozen banana sliced(before freezing)
    1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey
    1/2 cup skim milk

put ingredients into blender and blend away
    test
  2. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

[​IMG]
    Helllll yeah.
    test
  3. DisTinCT_84

DisTinCT_84 Tha RiPPeR

So whey protein is in milk?

That means if i cant get the pure stuff, just drinking a lot of milk will be good for building muscle right?
    test
  4. p. haze

p. haze slap boxed with jesus

Theres not enough supplements for that, atleast the important ones.
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

No, you need a concentrated whey protein powder.

For what? A weekly supplement thread? Shit, we could keep this going for at least a few months.
    test
  6. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Sweet... recipes..
    test
  7. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

yeah thing that separates whey protein from like just eating red meat or beans is that it takes away all the other stuff that you get with red meat like FATS and stuff like that.

I take GNC Pro Perfromace 100% Whey Protein 1. When I first wake up, 2. After my workout, and 3. Before I go to sleep.

It's great stuff.
    test
  8. cHi_Co

cHi_Co Guest

only reason u think its good its cuz Bb.com has it as the whey of the year or sum shit...

haha loser
    test
  9. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Actually I was using it before bb.com named it whey of the year, but nice try.
    test
  10. cHi_Co

cHi_Co Guest

dunt catch a roid attack honey.
    test
  11. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

30 grams?
    mine comes in 60 grams a serving so I just drink 16oz of water plus the protein right after I work out. then some more water.
    test
  12. Ice Fluid

Ice Fluid Flow with the Fluid.

You should only take protein in water not milk post-workout, even though it tastes like shit Whey is best delivered to your body through water (wich is essential post-workout).

And ON is by far, the most valuable protein on the market. It's cheap, it mixes GREAAAT and it doesn't taste that bad either.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.