Suggestions needed on Firewire soundcards

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Amp H, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amp H

Amp H Lone Soldier

In order to hook up my Yamaha Motix XS8 to my PC I need to go firewire. Originally I used the Emu 1212m(Until after 3 years it started to go), then I tried out the Emu 0404 and was gonna upgrade to the Emu 1616m next.(EMU is such a great product!) That was until I found out it has no firewire connection.
    So, I've been doing some research and seen a lot of good reviews from M-Audio brands and Presonus(I own the Presonus TubePre amp). Does anyone here know much or have any experience with firewire. I'm looking for 2-4 channel(don't even think there's a 2 channel except for the cheap ones) with pref. a preamp. Also, I would need it to include a soundcard to hook up to the PC(Do all the firewire soundcards connect to a PC this way?). Lastly, the quality needs to be similar/better to the EMU 1616M because that was the one I was originally gonna buy.

I currently am using a AT4050 for a microphone.

any help is greatly appreciated.
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Ok.. what you need to do is this.. First off.. the firewire pc soundcard.. there are many that would work fine.. the most important thing about it is that you get a card with a Texas Instruments chipset.. This is for the purpose of compatability with interfaces mostly.. once you install it.. make sure it's dedicated to your interface..

Now.. there are a lot of interfaces you could go with.. I like the Edirol FA66 for the price.. but what's your budget? If you think you will eventually go pro tools then it would be a good idea to get something that is at least m powered compatible.. well at any rate.. I agree.. emu is good stuff for sure.. the edirol will give you the same results.. Keep in mind though.. if you're using any of the effects that come with emu patchmix on the front end.. you will lose those, and you'll have to do more in the mix to get there.

So anyway, tell me your budget and I will make some suggestions for you. Also tell me your computer specs.. ram / processer / hard drive etc
    test
  3. Amp H

Amp H Lone Soldier

alright here my specs
    I dont use a MAC I have Windows XP

2.6 ghz Pentium dual core
    1gb Ram
    200 GB harddrive space

Budget:$400-$600

As far as effects, I don't usually use effects from the patchmix I do all that in the mixing anyways; no big problem there.

My step process for production is

Motif XS for the beat
    and FruityLoops for the recording, mix and master(bought it and been using it for 5 years, I have different effects from other softwares like pro tools, cubase, etc. )

As for the manual I read on the Motif XS8, the keyboard is only compatible through firewire using Cubase and no other software. So, Im stuck using the cubase 4 CD it came with and transferring everything from there to my FL8 if I still don't like Cubase. (Used to use when it was Cubase 2)

On a side note I've tried pro tools and contrary to what people say I didn't enjoy it too much and find myself working a lot faster with the software I have. I don't plan to get Pro Tools.

"the most important thing about it is that you get a card with a Texas Instruments chipset.. This is for the purpose of compatability with interfaces mostly.. once you install it.. make sure it's dedicated to your interface.."
    - Is there soundcards and firewire interfaces that come in a bundle, so you don't have to play pick and choose for what works best? Does Texas Instruments chipset soundcards work the most efficient with a lot of other products like Presonus, M-Audio, Edirol etc?

Also, the firewire interface I get needs to have a strong amp in it or else I'm gonna need to buy another Mic amp to help boost it and needs to be able to power my 2 Event TR speakers.

I'm gonna take a look at that Edirol FA66 in the mean time
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Ok.. tell you what.. tomorrow I'll put together a couple of suggestions based on your budget..

To expand on the firwire card being "dedicated".. All I mean is that you don't use it for any other firewire devices.. use your pc's stock firewire for any other firewire devices. So make sure you won't have to plug anything else into it aside from your interface..

You don't need firewire to use the motif by the way.. you can record the audio from it with trs cables to any 1/4" input on whatever inteface.. you can do that to get the motif sounds into any DAW.. You can also use it as a midi controller to cotroll other synths / drum machines / reason.. etc..

As for pro tools.. I won't say it's overated.. but it's difficult to adapt to when you're used to something else.. and Cubase is just fine.. Actually.. pro tools is the ONLY DAW now that doesn't include automatic delay compensation.. You have to get to HD before you get that luxury with PT.. So long story short.. Cubase is fine.

Anyway.. I'll post some suggestions tomorrow. pz
    test
  5. Amp H

Amp H Lone Soldier

alright good looks really appreciate this
    test
  6. Mr. ROUSH

I'm about to put together a suggestion for you man, I had forgotten about this, and I see I overlooked one of your questions about the firewire card and if it comes bundled with any interfaces which the answer is to my knowledge they don't come bundled although that would be nice. The other question about the TI chipset.. that answer is yes.. it is compatible with the widest variety of interfaces.. you won't likely come a crossed one that it isn't compatible with.. the other common firewire chip sets in use have compatibility issues with a lot of interfaces where TI does not..

before I tell you which fire wire card to get I need to know what your motherboard is, or if you can tell me if it has PCIE slots.. (PCI Express).. If you don't know how to tell then just tell me what your motherboard is and I'll find out for you.. if it's fairly new then you probably have pcie slots..

for now though I'll put together a package w/out the card.. post it up shortly. pz
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

Ok.. in your price range i like the following in this order

MOTU 8pre | Sweetwater.com $549.97
    MOTU UltraLite-mk3 | Sweetwater.com $549.97
    Edirol FA-101 | Sweetwater.com $379.97
    Edirol FA-66 | Sweetwater.com $279.97

The first one. (MOTU 8pre has more I/O and 8 preamps)
    The second one (MOTU ultralite has onboard effects and a couple bells and whistles, but I personally would want more I/O over the onboard effects)

The second two are both Edirol's.. the only difference is that the fa101 has more I/O and the fa66 then has less of course.

Get back to me on your motherboard and I'll shoot you a link to some firewire cards.

Keep in mind.. the prices above listed are for the interface alone not including any cables you will need.. the firewire card will add between $70 and $100.. You can likely find all of the above cheaper on ebay or craig's list, if you don't mind going that route.. get at me. pz.
    test
  8. Amp H

Amp H Lone Soldier

alright
    gotta break it down to you the PC I have now is a cheap Dell system I got off of ebay for $200(doesn't have any extra PCI slots), but I didnt lie on the sys requirements... my original CPU had issues with the motherboard/Processor, one of those had died couldn't tell ya which one. SO, i'ma need to get a new boardset with the processor to use my old tower. As far as PCI Express my old cpu had it on the motherboard, but I usually hooked that up with the video card; I didn't know it could be used for audio.

I'm a check out those Edirols and MOTUs
    and I usually buy from sweetwater anyways nice lol; though, first Ima check ebay
    you been the best of help Mr. Roush :) <---- this suppose to be a smiley face, no homo lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.