Strikeforce.. upsets, thoughts, comments?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by jayoo, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

Mousasi: No takedown D.. being fedor calm is great until the match is clearly not going in your favor.. then I think its time to step it up to the next level and make something happen. His damage from the back though is pretty impressive, but I also think King Mo was being careless about it which contributed a lot. I'm not even sure I thought Mousasi was advanced in his stand-up as everyone made him out to be in comparison.. Mo didn't look to bad, landed some nice shots, especially towards the end.

King Mo: Great wrestling, needs to learn to have better control on top, take a lot less damage and cause more.. definitely needs cardio work, but that aside a lot of respect goes to him because he clearly gassed by round 2 and kept it going 5 rounds to win against the considered #2 LHW in the world.

Aoki: Weak as fuck standup like I expected.. I fell into the hype for awhile, but after seeing him struggle in some standup matchs its clear hes nothing if he cant get it to the ground.. and then Melendez proved even there he isn't the miracle worker everyone makes him out to be. Why he didn't train in a cage blows my mind, everytime he got it to guard Melendez neutralized his sub attempts by holding him to the cage.. it got to the point Aoki seemed to be trying to get in position for an attempt as soon as his back touched the mat because he knew what was about to happen. After his performance tonight.. against Melendez who is good, but.. no way he's even top 5 LW in the world if you ask me.

Hendo: Started off so strong.. had me thinkin it'd be a first round TKO, then the 2nd round came and shit went nowhere but downhill from there. Shields is talented don't get me wrong but I never expected him to mount Hendo at will, absolutely no problem. He seemed like he was out there just rolling with someone who was completely new to anything ground related.. was sad to see, I almost felt bad.. the fight was his in round 1.

-Looking forward to see whats next for King Mo and how the MMA world reacts.. I wanna see postfight conference too, not sure when that goes up to watch?

-Where does Mousasi go from here? Is he still considered #2 LHW in the world? He just signed a 2-year contract to Strikeforce, somehow I feel like they weren't expecting him to lose and this was more a buildup toward his #2 LHW claim. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Anyone think King Mo will ever get into the UFC? Doesn't look likely for Mousasi.. at least not soon.

-Shields go to UFC? Dana did say he was interested.. after his domination of Hendo from round 2 on I can't lie I'm interested in him getting into the mix at the UFC and see how he does.

-Aoki.. whats next? Is he even remotely considered a top LW in the world? Where was Melendez ranked? I haven't looked in awhile personally.. but now the top 2 lost, in the same month.. that's a big hit to how the ranking will play out for lightweight now, I'm curious when the list is updated where everyone will be..
    test
  2. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Aoki looked shitty as fuck. The cage really bothered him cuz he didn't know how to handle it when his back was put to it and every time Melendez jumped in his guard he dragged him towards the cage (otherwise he stood up). I think Aoki drops out the top 5 after that performance.
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

wtf u talking about, mousasi was never considered the number two light heavyweight in the world, he was ranked around 6 or 7 before this fight
    test
  4. jayoo

ummm are you serious? i might not have looked since maybe around the machida/shogun fight but mousasi was ranked #2 behind machida at one point, your pretty ignorant about mma i should probably ignore you soon i dont wanna pick up any bad info when it comes to betting.

of course theres a lot of different lists, depends which one you take to have the most basis to their rankings, but hes been on more than 1 listed at #2.. regardless hes usually in the top 5, you need takedown D and dont say he has it but didnt use it because once he realized being tooken down wasnt working im pretty sure he woulda switched the gameplan

dont try to downplay mo's wrestling, its one of the best in mma, ask anyone who follows wrestling
    test
  5. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Happy to see Mo win. Props to him. Wanted to see him win, but didn't think he'd survive Mousasi standing up enough to get those takedowns.

Still a fan of both fighters, dope!

Very surprised Shields controlled Hendo like he did too, and props to him surviving that 1st round scare.

Wasn't too surprised @ Aoki/Melendez either.
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thoughts? just about 3 hours for 3 fights?

gimme a fucking break. The commercials were torture. What a piece of shit production. The commercials ruined it all for me. Im no fan of strikeforce's free shows and doubt ill ever get a payper view simply because of the rediculous bullshit i had to sit through while watching the free showing.

All 3 fights were fucking lame....hendersons being the most entertaining...

aoki wtf? that guy fuckin sucks....or atleast is massively boring

the whole card was boring as all hell and to top it off they made us sit through probably over 40 mins of commercials over the 2 1/2 hr period of the show....

strikeforce can suck my fat dick

that whole shit was fucking garbage.
    test
  7. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Plus the commentators were HORRENDOUS. Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg are great. haha... Frank Shamrock was incredibly biased. Shit was ridiculous. Never heard so much bias in commentating in my life.

And Aoki did look like TRASH. He's too weak. Couldn't pull a single takedown. He's too skinny... The height difference said 5'10.5 to 5.9. That was some bullshit. Aoki had a good 3 to 4 inches on the guy and weighed the same. So frail and couldn't control Melendez's hips to get the takedown. Everytime he ended on his back, Melendez either stayed far away to keep out his guard and went in and out with strikes OR he pushed Aoki's back to the cage which made it impossible for him to work for subs.

Hendo's fight was actually interesting IMO. Definitely best fight of the night. And I loved how Shields OUTWRESTLED Hendo. If he can do that, he's going to beat A LOT of UFC guys. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he didn't take any chances for submissions to end the fight cuz it seemed like he didn't want to end on his back.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah i cant believe how shitty that was last night... man that was some bullshit..

enough with the fucking 10 minute commercial break - back to the fight intro - then another 10 minute commercial break - then back to the fight for a round - then another 10 minutes of bullshit commercials - then 2 minutes of the round- then another 10 minutes of commercials - come back finish the round - then another 10 mnutes of bullshit commercials - then back to the fight for a few seconds - then another 10 minutes of commercials...... i mean fuck off!

fuck that shit man....that was some wacksheit
    test
  9. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

I really don't know what to say about this shit.

All Aoki did was try to pull guard. It's cool if it works, but it didn't work ONCE. NOT FUCKING ONCE. DO SOMETHING ELSE.

And jesus @ mousasi's takedown defense. I'VE sprawled out of better shots than that.

And lol @ Shields DOMINATION of Hendo. How many fuckin' people called that shit?
    test
  10. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

^Me. I put money on the cocksmoker and now I'm happy.
    test
  11. .:Pain:.

^Bet that paid a pretty penny...
    test
  12. jayoo

lol @ some the complaints..

melendez vs aoki got boring once we realized what all 5 rounds would be.

mousasi vs king mo was exciting to me because after round 1 i expected mousasi to TKO em.. when that didn't happen it was like a waiting game because i really didnt think mo could press it for 5 rounds and take the decision, it wasnt very eventful but it had suspense because it went a lot different then i predicted

hendo had a good fight as well, in the first round i was convinced he had it hands down.. shields is a good fighter, great heart

the commercial breaks.. what? i swear i got ONE commercial inbetween rounds up until the final fight then it was like a fuckin 10-15min break which was bullshit, but till then they were like 1 commercial breaks are you guys serious? plus its cable, did you not expect commercials? do you realize the way this works?
    test
  13. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

wtf, you got no clue what u talking about

all those other no name clown ass ranking sites you go to are bullshit

sherdog rankings >>>>>>>

mousasi was ranked number 6 before this fight, shogun was number two

you fail
    test
  14. .:Pain:.

^I was switching between the Mets game, the play-offs, and this, so commercial breaks went completely unnoticed on my part.

Mousasi was just frustrating to watch for a Mousasi fan. It gets annoying sitting there saying, GET THE FUCK UP AND SPRAWL for four rounds.

Hendo's fight was decent to watch, it was just disheartening to watch one of the greatest fighters of all time get dominated in his area of specialty, especially when considering that Hendo is strong as fuck for a MW.

As far as Aoki is concerned, there is no excuse for that fight. Bad match-up, Aoki seemed poorly trained. Melendez showed the fuck up...
    test
  15. jayoo

who makes sherdogs list that gives them the end all say over the top rankings, do you even know? or do you just like the site so its the basis of mma for you? lol

fuckin clown
    test
  16. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

king mo vs mousasi - Takedown defense barely comes into play against a world class wrestler like King Mo. I thought Mousasi (or anyone for that matter) would have trouble with it and I was right. What stood out to me about that fight is King Mo has a good chin and good sub defense on top of everything else. Mousasi was looking for and needed the finish the whole fight and when he started gassing about round 3 that's why you didn't see anything special from him standing. That was the one fight where neither guy really lost that much in my eyes. Just another win for wrestling.

melendez vs aoki - good god. Although I knew Melendez could potentially nullify aoki's ground game, I can't help but feel the little guy held back. I think around round 3 it seemed like Aoki was basically just trying to take as little damage as possible, because dude was only going for the same subs over and over. This fight disappointed me so much I could barely even pay attention to:

hendo vs shields - but holy crap, what a huge huge victory for shields and the ufc. Shields is often compared to GSP stylistically and in terms of dominance, but shieldsy showed that he has something GSP doesn't: an unquestionable chin. Not surprised Hendo lost necessarily, but how he lost blows my fucking mind. Dude got GSP'd by a guy smaller than him.
    test
  17. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Wasn't a bad night of fights per se, just really disheartening. I enjoyed the mousasi and hendo fights, just not necessarily the results. Aoki shit was awful, but honestly, mostly because expectations were just so high for him. Dude's beaten the shit out of people better than Melendez.

What a strange fucking month for the lw ranks.
    test
  18. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

For fuck's sake, Aoki was actually creating distance when on his back. When he wasn't doing that, he was trying to lock up Melendez to prevent damage. Both good strategies... if you're a fucking standup fighter.

Dana was talking like he wanted to sign shields regardless of how the hendo fight went... now he's gotta be fucking chasing him down.
    test
  19. .:Pain:.

Pretty much what I was trying to say.

Aoki actually landed a pretty solid short left hook either in the first or second round.

I remember seein' that and thinkin', he could probably land that shot at will. Too bad Aoki didn't feel the same...
    test
  20. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

Mauro is cool, Gus Johnson is the one I can't stand.

I like the Challengers commentary team: Miletich, Mauro, Quadros.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.