Stop Sampling.

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by JaMarcus Cock Sucker, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

Isn't that your signature sound tho?

Half Sample Half Composed?

I go in when I sample but I rarely do it for money reason but still sometimes all rappers want is a sampled joints. I still make them for that reason. I throw everything at them hoping for something to stick. The hardest joints on 50's & Kanyes album was a sampled. I'm sure the publishing wasn't great on those records but they defined the album and stood out. I gotta believe that making a stand out track is your number one goal when you coming up. Not chasing the highest publishing check. If you can keep it original and standout then welcome to the club.
    test
  2. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

Yeezy can do that because he's an artist.

If he was strictly producing that nigga would have no choice but to eventually start composing.

Anybody using sampling as the main base in their music will not make any pub nowadays.

With the increase in ring tones and shit..these old head niggas is caking..they aint crazy.
    test
  3. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

JaMarcus Cock Sucker BOSS

regardless of how much of a gem it is, u still gonna have to clear it my dude.......
    test
  4. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

i cant really say that, bc i barely sample, and if i do, i try to chop it up and lay it on a drum loop i made and see how it turns out....then add some instruments ....the instruments will fill in the gaps and i let the sample play the background and the instruments play the front....i guess u can compare it to a nigga layin a pad patch down over some drums and usin that as a foundation....same exact shit

but 8 times outta 10 i'm composin...and i'd like to make that 10 times outta 10...but when them beat blocks hit me, i use a sample to get me out of it...

but as far as samplin...i dont kno man...its cool and everything...but right now i'm focussed on just being straight up commercial right now...so primarily thats gonna call for composin, feel me

either way it go, i'ma keep it original.
    test
  5. ral4ever1985

ral4ever1985 CHETA

SAMPLE..............yourself!!!!
    test
  6. BlaZeDemBeaTz

BlaZeDemBeaTz 5 Letters - YMCMB

he wasn't exaggerating with them loss #'s...

you'll literally be giving someone else millions of dollars in the long run... while ur getting tiny 5-10k advances and nothing else

a joint that stands out to me is the joint on the fergie cd... with the commodores sample... the album did like 4 million units... and they prob wanted all of the publishing... say the producer got a 20k advance (with new producers thats almost unheard of these days because of how bad the industry has become)......well the royalty's are worth around 10,000$ per 100k units sold, give or take a few $... that would mean the producer literally lost 400,000$ and blew threw the advance money...leaving you right back at point A. not saying thats exactly what happened... but its a very likely scenario... cuz labels and pub companies are greedy and they pretty much want everything.

lets not even get into the scenario of if it was a big single... cuz then ur talking 100's of thousands off radio, ringtones, digital sales etc...and thats where most of the money is being made these days...
    a artist like lil boosie might sell 40,000 units on his cd... but hes makin rediculous cake off his singles...

A different scenario is...you wind up working real hard getting on a big album... then the label doesn't want to clear the sample at all... cuz they see it as a loss... the pub company could want anywhere from 20-50k upfront and 50-100% of the pub. And if their only willing to pay you 5-10k upfront for the track...there def not forking out 50k for a sample that is potentially just a album filler... the way the polotics work... its hard enough just placing the cd... let alone working for months to get on it and wind up assed out.
    So they come to you and say "replay the sample"... and the end outcome winds up being "the replay wasnt good enough"... even more hard work wasted... just to wind up with nothing...

you can get around it on smaller albums that don't sell big units, then it isnt a huge issue...but the bigger releases is where it really is gonna hurt you... prob best that if you are using samples on big releases, to be extremely discrete about it... on some timbo shit
    test
  7. Definit

Definit Based.

i once thought i was a Sample Based Producer, untill i tried to collect up all my beats....off old cd's....new shit...everything, i wanted to get more organized and make a catalog of what i've made....i mean i had around 1000+ beats...n in my head i was thinkin i had wayyy more sampled beats then composed...turns out...i had around 200 sampled joints out of the 1000+ i was cataloging....so all in all...i guess i was on the right track from the start....n i think that has to do with my lazyness of digging for them shits n listinin forever for a great sample to chop n flip...maybe thats why i thought i did more sampling, just the fact of the time it takes to get a sample...and then chop it up, before i can even get down to making the actual beat...

when i think about composing...its just hop on the mpc and bang some drums out, then hop on the motif n jam out on the keys...its all right there...plus i can make about 5 beats in a matter of a few hr's (loops, untill there tracked out)...compared to finding samples and choppin em down, which in its self could take a few hr's...so in reality you gain more by composing, n not just with time, but obviosly with pub. and more of a chance to be heard for what you did.

all in all...good video, everything on there is really common knowledge, but i like how he mentioned sending in records, not beats, a joint that is ready to be finished, and if you hittin them r&b cats up with shit, make a song to refference to, that will make them go nuts...things like Meta be doing...making beats...and singing on em....n you dont have to be great at singing, his level right now can get it done...cuz they'll get the influence off the song, and ofcourse they gonna add they own flava' on it...but thats where you want to be if you trying to come up...

thats what im tryina attack next though, singing.
    test
  8. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

This board has changed a lot since 02.

At that time, I had just started sampling a little bit, but it was really just tiny vocal bits or stabs that I would sample. I was always on the "composing" side, and the producers here were almost categorized as "sampler" or "composer". I used to always argue against sampling producers because I felt they weren't as original, and because I felt it took more talent to compose. They argued that both take talent to make music to catch ears, and that samplers get higher prestige from flipping famous samples or using unknown samples that weren't as easy to recognize.

At this point, I think it's funny that some producers are still considered "composers" and ride for that side, although their "composed" beats contain 2-3 note melodies with 1-2 instruments to support it or come in at the hook. I have heard some producers flip samples and said damn, you gotta be borderline genius to hear that sample and use it that way.

If used creatively, sampling is still the ish and always will be. I do think the main problem now is lawsuits and the credit you get for it...and in the last few years, we've heard MANY unreleased tracks from artists that were better than everything else on the album, but couldn't get cleared because it had a sample. So business wise, yeah, "stop sampling" LOL...but I don't think you should stop because of the artistic value.
    test
  9. ChaseNCashe

Sampling is not the shit.
    test
  10. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

LOL...why are you against it?
    test
  11. Hitman J

Hitman J lets get get get it....

it can work either way.. music is a form of time and some shit cannot be recreated by composing thats why alot of sample tracks will have a good ass feel...
    test
  12. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

When in Rome, do what Romans do.
    test
  13. HYPNOTIK

HYPNOTIK Fully Loaded

thats why like all music genres sample, or bite ideas from other songs?

That's why most the songs you hear today are inspired by songs from the past..

AutoTuned= influenced from the past...

countless other shit.... There's a million different ways to find and flip samples... theres no way all the creativity in sampling has went away....

come on people.... im sure everyone can find a new creative way of sampling and making it work...

an as far as clearing a same.. dont use a common song that u know is gonna be expensive to clear... use samples that no one knows wut it is haha....

yea though... besides the point i know people should up there game and pick up a midi controller or what ever and start composing more serious....

times are def changing and more and more people wanna be what the next man is...

worry about ur self
    test
  14. Definit

Definit Based.

freesamples @ safeway.deli...

get em while they fresh...lol.
    test
  15. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

i used to argue with Chase & 'do it for the love' too

that shit doesnt work out well

time 2 try it the other way & get money.. and my turntable is on the shelf
    test
  16. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

You can do it for love and still get paid if you play yo cards right.....but yo got do it for Love and not just say that you do it for love...

BKster....
    test
  17. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

See I'm not arguing that people shouldn't start composing.I'm saying that you shouldn't stop sampling. Your focus should definitely be composing. beyond the money I think that's where the sound of music is headed.
    Regardless at the end of the day This is why you should not Stop Sampling

http://www.zshare.net/audio/12851481d184cb05/

Not only do you have a the two biggest rappers in the game on your track but your have a stand out out track...
    test
  18. ChaseNCashe

Thats making them rappers bigger nigga.

Not the producer.

Fuck what you talking about you can have that shit replayed and get your guap.
    test
  19. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

that track is aiight

album's trash by the way....

its sad when "streerunner" has the hardest beat on the album
    test
  20. Enkay Productions

Enkay Productions keep it in music

This Is Not Right, Look, Im A Hip Hop Head. Average Boom Bap, East Coast Music Maker. But What The Fuck!!!!!!! I Got Nothing Against Doin Ure Own Music, I Cant Stand Listenin To Whats On The Radio, I Do Agree To An Extent We Should Stop Samplin Newer Shit, I Was At Future Producer Boards Where Everyone Posts Up A Sample And They All Flip It, And These Fucking Idiots Are Posting Up Some Avril Lavigne, Nirvana And Some Dixie Chicks And Shit, But There Serious About It Though, People Are Actually Sayin Nice Sample Im Gonna Flip It!!! Hahhahhhahaaaaa What The Fuck Is Going On!!!!!!! I Sample Cuz I Love It, I Have The Skillz On The Keyz, Trust Me I Can Play The Piano Like No Other!!! I Just Dont Like That Style Of Hip Hop, In My Opinion Anyways. But I Love The Art Of Samplin, Digging, Chopping, Whatever, It The Truth!!!!!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.