STi or Evo-8 or 350z??

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by {[A.R.B.]}, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. {[A.R.B.]}

{[A.R.B.]} King Tres

Which would you recommend, I'm prolly gonna aim at gettin 400whp which would u take to get there?
    test
  2. Sawred

Sawred New Member

arb if u dont mind, i was gonna make a post of almost this exact shit, so i dont want to double post...but I have a wrx and want to trade it in, and i am unsure if its worth going to a STI/350z or anything else in the similar price range...has anyone got word if they are going to be making a supra in the next few years?

thanks. and great thread...im lookin at the exact same cars
    test
  3. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Nice I work on all three cars, but more on the Evo and 350z. I used to work on the STi, especially when I had one, but nobody I know owns one anymore.

But to get 400whp with a STI/Evo or any AWD car is not that easy. We have a car in our stable that is around the 330whp in our EVO VIII. Now understand when I say not easy, I mean that tuning is a constant variable with EVO's and STi's.

EVO

Here is what you can do to get you around 320awhp area.
    HKS 272/272
    MBC
    APEXi SAFC
    Denso 720cc
    Walbro 255
    Zeitronix ZT-2
    Turboback Exhaust

This was done with our car and runs low 12s, best is a 12.19 @ 113mph

There are many ways to get there with the EVO, cause we have another car we are going to take to atleast 500awhp. It will take time and money, and thus far we might even wait and get the EVO IX, or get a used EVO VIII RS. All we are considering is using either Bushcur 500, or maybe Turbotrix and then using the regulars mods like:
    272 cams, AEM tuned, Greddy fmic, fuel pump, 680's, full exhaust, no cat, and with C16 race gas mixed in with some 93 running at about 25psi should net us around what 450awhp depending on the tuning and weather.

Although going with the EVO you better get these 2 things well into your head.
    A/F, and Clutch. Your clutch should be the first thing on this car to replace. Because for some reason, they know with a performance AWD car you are going to LAUNCH the ever loving shit out of the car, but yet they put in a bullshit sorry excuse for the clutch that will start slipping after say 8 passes on the drag strip, IF you know how to launch an AWD car. Good clutches are ACT and RPS, we are using ACT for the 330awhp Evo.

STi
    STi is about the same in terms of performance. The biggest difference in between the two is that the EVO is more "hardcore" in terms of racing road or drag. The ride on the STi is not as harsh as the EVO, and the EVO doesn't have the displacement like the STi.

But all around the better performing car is the EVO. I drove both cars plenty, and still think the EVO is the better all around performance car. IF you want everyday driving then the STi, would be a little better. IF you want all performance, the EVO is the way to go.

350Z
    First off, only, I repeat ONLY buy a late model 04 or higher model 350z. Now the 350z is by far the best looking of the 3 cars. Probably the most reliable, and RWD is still damn fun especially in a car that likes to spin the ass end out a lot.

It has a great V6 engine, incredible exhaust note and good performance for its price and size. Now to get to 400hp, that means FI. Without a doubt. That also means money.

Now I know an Asian cat that has a gorgeous Daytona Blue 350z w/ APS TT and is in the neighborhood of 380hp on 93. IT is tuned and has a Nismo exhaust as well. Now FI kits are ridiculously expensive for this car. Some think the SC are better but all know that for all out perfomance you get turbo. Sooo right now my buddies and I are working on a females car, yeah females. She is getting the Vortech SC installed and Stillen exhaust done as we speak. It is in the shop and once done, I will take it out for a spin and see the differences between the two.
    Also, this car is prone to spinning out with unexperienced drivers. Hell I spun the ass end out with the TT 350z but luckily I was able to control it coming around the off ramp, but others are not that skilled and or lucky to pull off a manuever doing 60mph down a off ramp. Also this car is shit in snow, and a bitch in the rain if you are not careful.

Bottom line, all depends on what you want. 400hp car is vague, I can get that out of any damn car. So what else are you looking for. How deep are your pockets, and how mechanically inclined are you. If you are not aware of any of the terminology I used then you definitely need to pass on this idea.

If you have or make bank, and want a gorgeous looking car with an incredible engine, RWD, pick the 350z. <---although I would rather go with the G35c, although the aftermarket is nowhere near the same as the 350z.

If you want the best all around performing car, get the EVO, hands down.

And if you want AWD, with the abilities to control your differentials, and the best daily driver out of the three, than pick the STi.

Hope this ish helped...
    test
  4. Tigre

Don't hold your breathe. There will not be another Supra. Supposedly some want to believe the new IS430 might be the new Supra, but it isn't. Also the new toyota that is going to be out in 2007 is supposed to be as well, but it isn't. The new Lexus LF-A is not the new Supra either, it is just a high priced supercar.

The only way we will know if they come out with one is if they introduce it @ Tokyo next year when the unveil the new Skyline.
    test
  5. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

350z Easy.

I like all, but if you don't need a 4 door car...go with the far better looking of the group. 350z has more personality than the others and doesn't look like grandma's car with an ID crisis. And..I'm assuming you could get the same results performance wise from all 3.

but go z, hell go G35.
    test
  6. {[A.R.B.]}

{[A.R.B.]} King Tres

good lookin on the breakdown, basically im buyin the car brand new, i test drove all 3 pretty much left me still stuck... as for upgradin it my bank right now is 20k for upgrades with more coming in later... my best friend owns a shop so basically ill be doin all the work myself as i usually used to tune hondas i sold my '99 375whp tegra so im researchin up these 3... right now lim leaning towards either the STi or Evo
    test
  7. Tigre

Well with a 300+ integra, you are already familiar with an uncomfortable ride. IF you want straight out performance my opinion is still EVO hands down. I have seen plenty at the track, auto-x and drag strip that impress me every single time.

Now personally like I said I have worked on all these cars. I have driven them all a ridiculous amounts of time, stock, BPU, and heavily modified. I still think the most unique one was the 350z just because like Rip said, it is the best looking car and it has more personality than the rest. The G35c, if you included this would be by far the best since you say you have the financial means to modify said cars.

I say take the G35c and make it a beast because 1. It is rare to see a nicely done TT G35c. 2. G35c are by far one of the best looking cars on the street. 3. The G35c FI seen is about to erupt soon, especially after the first pro street drag car comes into play next year. If you want unique try the G35/350z route, just because most that get that car are only getting it for show and some go.

Evo's and STi's are all go and fuck a show. So I understand getting either AWD cars, but if you got the money to spend you can make an incredible 350/G35c that will turn heads as well as bust asses on the street and strip.

Good luck though. If you got any more questions on the Evo just write them up here.
    test
  8. {[A.R.B.]}

{[A.R.B.]} King Tres

yea i was gonna go with a 350z, but my wife jus got a front clip of an r34 skyline for hers so i was gonna go with an AWD route. Its pretty much gonna be all go... im gonna gut the interior and go full engine no exterior mods cept some nice light rims... as my understandin is... is that the evo engine internals can hold up to 28psi? im gettin the '05 Evo-8 MR since its a 6speed..
    test
  9. {[A.R.B.]}

{[A.R.B.]} King Tres

I dunno i might jus wait a lil bit longer for the evo-9 to come out and jus stay with my daily driver till then.. any comments?
    test
  10. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

yeah I suggest you say fuck those wack cars.

since you obviously wanna spend like 40k anyways, get a badass luxury car like an M3/Q45/I35/GS300+ or a Corvette.

why would you wanna get a shitty fucking mitsubishi... I don't get it.

and I'd like to add my TA will likely have more stock hp and torque for like half the money.

I mean even the top end model of the 350z is only rated at 300hp and 300lbs of torque. I don't even give a fuck about the lancer... WRXs are 300hp with 280.. that's so weak man.. and they aren't even that nice looking.

if you are gonna drop mad dough, go for luxury over speed...
    test
  11. Tigre

First he said new.. if new is the case, then C6's cost 50. If you are talking about C5's, then why buy that used car when a EVO is very competitive against one on the strip and track.

As for M3's they are fucking expensive and have mechanical problems, such as motors blowing, gasket issues etc. The GS300 has no fucking speed what so ever, he didn't say shit about luxury. Q45.....what.. you obviously didn't read this topic. I30 was a sad joke thus the reason it is not made anymore.

Cause he wanted the best new peformance car that is AWD for the price, find a better one...oh wait, you can't... next.

Wait you bash an EVO but a TA is all that much better. Hate to tell you as well, but at the 1320, a TA and an EVO run almost the exact same time. And the Evo only has a 2.0 lt 4 banger engine....
    And Of course it is half the price because
    1. It's used
    2. It is a GM, one of the king car companies in car depreciation.

Weak.. The STi is faster than your TA, they run 13.1 w/ 105mph trap speed, how is that weak? A car with half the displacement running quicker times is weak, yeah I understand it now. My bad on that.
    test
  12. Tigre

That extra shift will hurt you in the 1320. I will say if you want the EVO just to wait for the Evo IX, or wait and get an EVO VIII after the release of the IX.

The IX will have better fuel economy, more hp and tq, and overall a better car than the EVO VIII MR. The EVO X which comes out is going to be what most are waiting for Also, I know for the EVO VIII's that are 05s they are boosting about 1.4-1.5 bar stock.

The bottom end is strong as hell. We have seen dynos at 26psi on C16 racing gas hit about 457 awhp. He said next run he will push it to 30psi and see what numbers he can get.
    test
  13. Snikka

Theres no replacement for displacement ;)
    test
  14. Tigre

With the technology we have today...sure there is..lol
    test
  15. Snikka

and you'll pay for it.......
    test
  16. Tigre

hmm You are right 8 times, out of about 330 passes at the drag strip.

And none on the auto-x...so I am not doing too bad :)
    test
  17. Snikka

beep beep... let me put my flashers on for you.
    test
  18. Tigre

I appreciate you being courteous, It might be easier for me to see how far back you are if you are flashing your hazards.
    test
  19. RedIye

RedIye New Member

My WS6 is 315hp at the crank, thats with my Magnaflow exhaust... however, a few grand in mods and my car runs into the low 12's.

I paid 13,500$ CAD for my ride.

High 13's in the quater for a stock car at the price is ridiculous. Not too mention the looks... You'll turn more heads in a Trans AM than any of those cars.

Ofcourse, this is only based on opinion... But everytime I drive down the street, everybody is looking.

Also, 350Z's are only 285hp at the crank, with 290ftlbs of tourque... I used to work for Nissan, I've driven the cars... any LT1 or LS1 will EAT it alive. Wont speak much on the rest, as I havent driven them.

Stock WS6 ... 305hp with 335ftlbs of tourque.
    test
  20. Tigre

You are comparing a used and DEAD series car to a brand new one.

I will say for one, yes your car is fast... IN A STRAIGHT LINE but that is obvious. That is the only reason to buy the car.

That can't be done. But if you want then I will pick a used car to go against your used car for the price. I can name cars at that price that run low 13s. example, is Galant VR4, and 300ZX TT, to name a few. Also, your car can only run in a straight line which is the problem with all American cars except the C5 and up Vettes. You car would get it's ass handed to it by a lesser powered 350z, S2k, E36 M3, RX7, and the list goes on and on.

But as it stands lets go with what we have. A STi and your WS6.. I will grant you from a roll, the car will beat a STi, but that is it... just from a roll. From a dig, which is where we are going to be at on a track, I will bust a WS6's ass all day long stock for stock. I ran 13.2 stock when I had mine. And ran a best of 13.18 with my friends stock STi. His car with a couple of grand runs low 12's all day as well so you can throw out that theory as well.

As for the EVO... Same thing, our EVO runs mid 11's all day, all night, feels so good, feels so right. That is with about 4gs worth of work, and that also includes doing suspension work and a clutch, so without all that the price drops if we are just talking about engine performance mods.

Now lets see, my theory on technology is doing rather well wouldn't you agree.. I would.

Now in terms of best performance car, you WS6 doesn't have a leg to stand on. Because one, all it can do is run in the 1320... it isn't built or can't handle anything with turns. Also, your car is dead, gone, FIN, why, cause it couldn't sell for shit. It was outsold 3 to 1 by the mustang...pshhh. The car bottom line can't be a true all around performance car. The best all around performance car for the price range he is looking for is the EVO and STi. They both can run the 1320, and the EVO and STi are fucking up competition in SCCA. I don't even remember the last time any SS/WS6, or Z28...fuck any Camaro/Firebird finished top 4 in an event.

So to reiterate:
    1. They don't produce your car, thus the reason for teh low price
    2. It's not as reliable as the STi
    3. It is not even a car to be considered if you are looking for a great all around package.
    4. Technology has caught up.... thus the reasons why you can see Civic hatches run 10's, or Supra's w/ 1000hp, or 600AWP Evo's raping the fuck out of Supercharged C5's and TT Mustangs, and Turbo Camaro's.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.