Staying offbeat

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by CitizenKane, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CitizenKane

CitizenKane The Enterprise

Can somebody explain this term a little more? I know what it means but sometimes peeps tell me that Im offbeat even though I write my rhymes at the end of each bar near or on the snare, is it maybe because at the next bar I miss the first kick and get offbeat? So if anybody can explain it and maybe give me some songs and rappers that are offbeat so I can hear what it means!
    test
  2. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

:::waits for this stupid shit about rhymin on the snares...:::

There is a post in the MC Hookups called "retarded rapper" (or something to that effect). That's guy is off beat. Someone who is offbeat sounds like they aren't even paying attention to the music - they are just rapping.

Being offbeat is a bad thing - you want to be on beat. Just because you rhyme at the end of the bar doesn't mean you are on beat. Can you really teach rhythm?
    test
  3. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

test
  4. CitizenKane

CitizenKane The Enterprise

If parts of a beat can be summed up in a order where the top one is the most important for flow and what you follow when you write, is this order right?

1- HiHats
    2- Snares
    3- Kicks
    (4- Bassline??)
    test
  5. R.I.PSTA_NBP

R.I.PSTA_NBP NBP

just make ur rhymes fluent and try not to pause inbetween bars

count the syllables in each bar and see if there even

you cant really teach flow..its something you have to develop yourself

And no, snare is most important...other stuff just helps u decide emotion for the song and maybe tempo

hope that helped..pzz
    test
  6. Logik Words

Logik Words New Member

Ye.. you are aimin to end your bar on the snare I think.. and u tryin to stay ONbeat... not offbeat.
    pz
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Bein on beat is just something natural that comes with rappin if u dont have natural Rhythm please give up rap
    test
  8. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

thing is kid

your probly on beat

as long as ur bars are ending with the beat loop, its on

but, the flow probly sucks, cuz ur payin too much attention to the drums, an tryin to force urself to fit the words inside the snare instead of jus lettin it flow an lettin the rhythm take over. becuz, the more unique creative flows that tend to be more ear catching, dont land perfectly on the snare....u can get away with landing before one...totally missing another....landing after one..and then totally skipping another to the point its almost right before the kick of the next loop. becuz it all depends on the rythm. someone told me to watch mr hollads opus or footloose when i was offbeat to get rhythm...but i never did...i was jus writing one day, and bang, it was there. so i duno if thatll work, but fuck it, give it a try.
    test
  9. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

I hate to sound racist - but fuck it...

I used to find it so damn funny to watch all the white folks in my church clap off beat. Me, my brother and my sister would never pay attention to the songs - we would just watch for white folks clapping off beat - point - and laugh.

"Maybe he has some headphones on and is listening to some other song"

"Naw...there is NO song with a beat like that. Dude is clapping @ random intervals"

"Look...even the hispanic folks w/ the headphones on (translation service) are on beat...it's gotta be a white thing..."

"Can't be just a white thing. Not all the white folks are off beat..."

"...but all the 'off beat' folks are white. Like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't always a square. Maybe it has to do w/ the area they live. Katy white folks are off beat - but white folks from 3rd ward are on beat"

"Ain't no white folks in 3rd ward!"

[funny] That was like a Sunday ritual for us. We could never figure out why they could not (or would not) clap on beat...
    test
  10. Dj Streetsz

Dj Streetsz New Member

test
  11. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

U Dont Always Have To Hit The Snare.. Wtf
    test
  12. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

Somep people are just deprived of rhythm. Lots of them are white. I'm white, and I have no problem keeping beat (tho I'd never be caught dead in a church). It's weird, because when I lived in a predominantly white area for 3 years or so of my life, many people didn't have rhythm. Pah well, what can you do?
    test
  13. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

yeah...it defantely is a white thing

same reason white people cant dance either

spanish poeple usually have a dope natural rythm...from spittin all them syllabes so fast in they language...look at tonedeff, enfo, bizzy bone, etc

blajh funny thing is though, my boy gam is white, an he had dope rhtyhm off the bat..shit is nuts..
    test
  14. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

<--has always had rhythm and im white.. then again i happen to talk kinda fast too..
    test
  15. Unity

Unity New Member

One of my white boy's could dance pretty well. Not as good as me of course but pretty damn close. But yeah he could crab with the best of them.
    test
  16. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

yeah, but if u cant rap on beat...u cant dance either
    test
  17. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

test
  18. Krystile

Krystile New Member

lesson in flow and staying on beat...

umm, you DO have to hit the snare almost all the time at the end 0f the bar, I'd say 90% of the time or more (listen to any of the best emcees... jigga, biggie, talib, canibus... they dont fuck around and miss the snare), the snare in the middle of the bar is optional for internal rhyming, but if your a ill rapper you'll use that alot too... the average bar has 12 syllables (this is just an average... not all beats are like this, but for newbs you should target beats like this because they are easiest to flow on), the snare usually hits twice during each bar, once in the middle and once at the end... so it's good to look at each bar broken down into two peices, each with 6 syllables... now while your writing count each syllable in the bar your about to write and make sure it adds up to 6 or 12 (depending on your rhyme scheme) and if it dont change some words around or add/remove some untill it does, do that and you'll always be on beat (you can have one or even two syllable less, for instance 5 or 11... but only cats that got ill delivery can pull this off, or if your making a "justified" pause... like jay-z often does)... as for a liquid flow, dont pause between bars or stop to take a breath... once your comfortable in front of the mic and have had lots of practice you'll learn how to control your breath and actually start to take breaths just before and as your saying the first word in certain bars... but you only wanna breath about every 4-6 bars to get that "liquid" sounding flow...

dont listen to peeps that tell you that you CANT learn rhythm... or that it's just "natural" or built in... some are born with it, others learn it... but once you got it you got it...
    test
  19. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

^^u can learn rhythm

itll be all mathmatic though..counting bars...counting syllables...and it will be basic as hell

listen to psicobabble's shit...his flow is fucking disgusting...an he misses snares like nuts sumtimes...the snares do NOT make u onbeat...they are structure to where u CAN end rhymes, bars, etc...u can however drop a lil before or after...and in some cases much after or before...depending on how the lryics are and how the beat is. you will only be able to do this if u have actual rhythm though..becuz mathmatics ain helpin u for shit on that typa shit. my advice, learn it how kres said, then try to teach urself the rhythm so u can get ur flow mroe advanced.
    test
  20. Nitwit

Nitwit New Member

i can understand when someone is offbeat cause basically they'r enot listening to the beat....gettin too much into the rhymes...but if you're payin attention I can't understand how anyone can rap off beat...it's not hard to figure out timing, that's all it is, timing & rhythm....i guess some people are just born without it [​IMG]
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.