Stay Independent and make $$$ with your team, fuk a label...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by antbeatz, Aug 20, 2013.

1. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

[​IMG]
    Signing to a major record company is sort of like asking to be a slave to that company. The deals that artists are signing today are really entrapment deals. Before, record labels just made a profit off of the artists selling their music. Now-a-days, due to the rise of the internet and more, artists have so much opportunity to make more money. The labels know this, so what they did was change the contracts. Now instead of just making a percentage from your sales, they make a percentage off of anything you make in the entertainment industry. Whatever that may be.

I myself had been caught in the hype of signing to major record label. I signed a 3 year contract with Defient Entertainment/ Warner Music Group, if i knew what i know now I would have never signed. So yeah, all the hype about signing to a major label is just that, hype. Searching for a label to be signed to is like searching and looking for someone to make you a slave to their company! Listen to what Jay-Z's top producer (Young Guru) have to say about record labels.

test
  2. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

I'm not no rapper but yeah, sounds like you could make it without a label.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

So going independent increAses ur chances for success?...don't get me wrong 360 deals are a way for labels to keep up revenue, but it all depends upon the situation the artist is in....all of the major successes who are indie showed everyone that labels are not needed right?....like teche and maybe atmosphere, but bro u are generalizing something u don't seem to know the full scope of......
    test
  4. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Shit is asking to be employed and promoted by billion dollar companies.....
    test
  5. D-verse

D-verse No drama

all these rappers going indie sell triple tin foil

Macklemore is huge

most other indie rappers you never heard off

360's take a cut of your tour and merch and ect however if you are major there will be 7 times more people at your show so in the end you do make more overal

indie can work, but it all depends
    • +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  6. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

I am pretty sure Macklemore isn't a fully independent artist, he has at least a distribution dealwith a major of some sort.....360's are dificult to swallow from a just looking at them stance, but there are def benefits to them, and they are not the only deals out there....If a label really believes in you, even today one can get a million plus deal, but the main thing is that record companies need to find there role and they are an aggregate and facilitator with deep pockets....a cosign and ads can make a decent rapper huge.....soundcloud and bandcamp work well for lucky producers, and youtube works for bieber and that dude from Taiwan
    test
  7. D-verse

D-verse No drama

yes Macklemore rented a distirubtion sector of a major, I believe

that's why it's so pathetic that his lyrics go "Now we're ehre labels can't tell me nothing, we give it back to the people spread it across the country" 2X

as if he does it for the love and people, no he did it to gain more money, which I would do too if I could, why give labels more then you need
    test
  8. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Rented?...He was offered deals, but I am not 100 on the stuff, but I can check with my people to see for sure
    test
  9. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

just letting artists know that they dont need to depend on a major label bro... letting them know its okay to be independent and still make $$$...

Mac Miller sold over 300,000 copies independently... so can anyone else...

but hey, if you broke and dont have money, then looking for someone to sign you might be a good idea... i would advise every artist to get their money up! go drive trucks or somethin' and then come back to making music... this is not rocket science...
    test
  10. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

indie works if you have money and spend it right... just get $$$ and invest... its not hard to be successful, ppl just make things complicated
    test
  11. D Funkdafied

D Funkdafied D-Funkdafied Music

Agree. I would rather freelance and work with diverse companies in different areas.
    As a producer, working with the artist is more important than working with the label.

www.dfunkdafiedbeats.com
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  12. D-verse

D-verse No drama

he's signed, to an indie label
    test
  13. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

How many indie artists can you name that went platinum?....
    test
  14. D-verse

D-verse No drama

you don't gotta go platinum, todays 300 k sold are like 800 k back in 2004.

Let's say how many indies can you name that are rich, and how many majors can you name that are rich, definitely more majors

rich indies ; Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne

rich majors : everybody else
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

A question answered with a question is not what I was looking for....I don't know how many rappers indie or signed are rich....and rich could mean a million to some or 50+ to others.....I know what the stats and ratios are, I have been doing this for a while....I was just curious if you knew any that sold a million.....And being indie isn't the 10 bucks an album thing, there needs to be a distribution channel, and that is only a small part of where money comes from in this business
    test
  16. D-verse

D-verse No drama

I thought it was a statement formed as a question

Taylor Swift is on a indie label, IIRC

however do you guys mean indie as in signed to a indie label or indie as in doing all yourself, owning your won label
    test
  17. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

that is where confusion comes in.....what is indie exactly....but I meant indie like atmosphere or whoever.....
    test
  18. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

Mac signed a distribution deal for Poppin Tags with Warner Bros or some shit.

That's how big a pimp he is. He signed a label. The game has changed all together.
    test
  19. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

yes thats what i meant... signed to an independent label not major
    indie as signed to an indie label
    test
  20. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

bottom line is, all you need is money, a reliable team, and good marketing, then just barge the game!... really that easy when your serious about your grind
    test