starting your own business..?

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by Rex Skully, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

Anyone took the risk of starting your own business? How did it turn out? What would you have done different? Etc.

I currently work a State job, make good money, and enjoy what I do. However, my job is about as stressful and emotionally demanding as there is - I feel like it's literally taking years off my life.

I have a business idea that I'm confident about. It's a service I could provide as well if not better than anyone in my city that already does it. There's littler financial risk, maybe a couple thousand dollars at most. It's also a business I could run while still working my day job so it would be extra income and not my main source of income.
    test
  2. J o o k

J o o k Win your battles before they’ve even been fought.

Cool man, what's the business?
    test
  3. Mr. Truth

Mr. Truth Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quit your job until your new venture is successful. Try not to leave until you have a good 6-12 months of money+business expenses stashed away just in case.

If you provide a service with very little in the way of overhead I say go for it. Best case it works out and youve got another revenue stream. Worst case it falls flat and your out a few hundred you spent on initial advertising.

I would say the biggest thing I've learned when providing services is - position yourself as the highest in quality and charge like it. Turn down people that try to haggle you or underpay you. Be strict with your pricing. I spent years taking lower paying work thinking "fuck it money is money" when all that time should have been spent seeking out the clients that were willing to pay.
    test
  4. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I've been told that most new businesses take years to turn a profit.

If I were you, I'd find other people at my line of employment who feel the same, and shop around the idea.

You can all keep your jobs that way by splitting the work load of the new business until it starts turning a profit, thus allowing you to leave your nine-to-five. You might not get paid by your business for months, or even years, so having a steady source of money during that period would help.
    test
  5. Mr. Truth

It sounds like he is going to offer a service. If its something along the lines of mixing tracks or graphic design, you turn a profit almost immediately as there is no overhead.

He'd need to be more specific to know but that whole 'it takes years to turn a profit' mantra only applies to certain types of businesses. How long did it take you to turn a profit with your beats @J Keeper You probably payed off your equipment after the first couple sales
    test
  6. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Considering all my equipment was free, fuck yes I did.
    test
  7. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

Make a business plan and shop it. Make sure you are thorough because they will look for any reason not to give you money.
    test
  8. Archer

Archer Hamityville

I've been looking into opening a gaming bar in San Diego near SDSU. The idea would be to function in a similar manner to a sports bar, except it's targeting the niche student / young adult gaming audience. Screens on the wall could play gaming streams (ie. LOL, SC2, COD, CS), there's a couch area with console games (ie. COD, Halo, anything multiplayer shit even mario dawg), and a setup of PCs (LOL, SC2). The bar/food would be mostly light (sliders, wings, nachos, burgers, sandwiches) plus you could run special drinks (Alaska Iced Tea = Mana Potion, redhead slut = Health Potion, margarita = Phoenix Down, etc). Could even name wings something retarded like Leroy's Special Chicken for my WoW niggas. I'd want that to be more a "Specials" menu rather than standard; the big challenge is keeping the bar open to all people, not just gamers- it has to be a casual bar environment that's fun to hang at. To that end you can still just switch the screens to sports on big fight nights, superbowl, nba playoffs, etc. To further the place you can push gaming tournaments with swag rewards (ie. razor gear, etc), music can be from games (some game soundtracks are >>>>).

Why gaming as a theme? We have single games grossing over $300M a year repeatedly, console games breaking $200m in sales frequently, next gen consoles out soon, etc. It's a huge niche market and there are communities that are perfect for it (university districts). There are two bars I know of like this; one in Canada and one in Australia. I believe there's one in the Midwest also. One of them actually runs a perks system based on "EXP" just like a game (ie. rewards card, purchases earn you EXP, get a certain amount you get rewards etc).

There's also the potential to push retail, such as selling gaming company gear on a profit share system (ie. gaming team tshirts cost like $3 to make, sell for $30+ right now online). The teams are also pushing to interact with fans, signing events, etc and a lot are based in SoCal so it's convenient.
    test
  9. Mr. Truth

esports>>

the growth of the LoL scene in the last 2 years is ridiculous
    test
  10. Zero-D

Zero-D Brilliance Unparalleled

Go for it! Can't hurt to try new things.
    test
  11. SiegeSupreme

SiegeSupreme Well-Known Member

Why SDSU? I visited/applied there and it didn't seem as WoW/nerdy heavy as some other places you could open it near. Actually I'm pretty sure my school is as WoW/nerdy heavy as you can get. I think even our esports team is like top 5 in the world. For California I feel like staying near CalTech or even Harvey Mudd would be better for what you're trying to accomplish.

But you also have to give the students a reason to live their home/dorm to play at your bar. You can play against other people without ever leaving the house or even do a LAN part with friends. What would be the draw?
    test
  12. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

I like it but do what a bowling alley does and make the arcade area darker. Section it off. That way you can even have a sports bar attached to it appeal to the other demographics. Almost like a country club open to the public.
    test
  13. Archer

Archer Hamityville

I specifically said i don't want it to be only attracting nerds - I'd actually prefer to have casual gamers rather than hardcore nerds (given hardcore nerds will tend to NOT lean towards social interaction). SDSU, CSUSM and UCSD are in similar area, plus there's Scripps and a couple other universities in the area. It's a huge student population locally.
    test
  14. Archer

Archer Hamityville

Ever been to a live gaming event (ie. IEM, MLG, LOL world finals, etc)? They're amazing. It's a LOT of fun playing LAN style games in public with other people watching around you. Shit like Street Fighter, Mario Cart, SC2, LOL gets a lot of fan hype when the games are exciting.
    test
  15. SiegeSupreme

SiegeSupreme Well-Known Member

Makes sense. So like an arcade bar but with big-name multiplayer games instead of arcade games?

Actually a pretty dope idea but bars are always a risky investment. Basically ever athlete has tried to open up a sports bar at some point and most never take off.
    test
  16. Archer

Archer Hamityville

Couch area with screens for console games (COD, Battlefield, Halo), LAN area with 10-20 PC's for shit like CS:GO, LOL, SC2, Street Fighter. You're also entering the next gen of gaming where Online/Multiplayer is the standard and "Offline" play is considered a bonus/feature.
    test
  17. trilliam cakespeare

trilliam cakespeare Awful Poster, Ok Tag Mak...Awww, Fuck

Nigga, if you ain't pushing weight or selling ass don't bother, cuz you're just gonna fail & end up broke & homeless & prostituting yourself outta necessity instead of for profit.
    test
  18. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

Cock fighting
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    test
  19. The_K3

The_K3 ^Secksi^

good idea @Archer even internet cafes are poppin which i thought woulda died out ages ago since everyone should have some sort of computer at home.. a public setting to play videogames and drink/eat would be awesome
    test
  20. Newportz

Newportz Bang Bang

I love the idea.
    test