Special Edition Tournament Mag - 9-27-04

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Tha Talent, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

RSTL FALL 2004
    TOURNAMENT TIME!

Special Edition Mag

Table of Contents
    --INTRO--
    --SOAPBOX--
    --SHOW & PROVE--
    --THE CHAMP ISN'T HERE--
    --THE SUN RISES IN THE EAST--
    --WINNING THE WEST--
    --AN UP NORTH TRIP--
    --SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY--
    --DARK HORSES RUN THE RACE--
    --OUTRO--

Intro

Welcome to RSTL Fall Tournament 2004...this is the best and biggest mag ever...maybe not, but we're giving it a run...this will be a mag to remember, so i want you all to read and treasure...all unaccredited articles are written by me, but props to Ed Lake and Mac Flow for helping.

Soapbox
    i'm going to keep this short...first of all, good luck to all in the tournament...thanks for participating...also, have a lot of fun...this isn't work, this is a hobby...when the league reconvenes, the week of October 10, there will still be 16 people in the tournament...if you wish to rejoin the league, and are one of those 16, you will have to write two different verses...the winner of the tournament will recieve 6 wins to their record, the glory of victory, and a chance to face Omen and Richard Corey in a three way at the end of the year for cold cash...so this is a tournament you want to win people...you WANT TO WIN...have fun though.

Show & Prove
    Showcase Your Full Skill

A lot of battlers say "anyone can write a story." Just as a lot of storytellers say "anyone can write a punchline." So what's the difference? Most storytellers have at least given battling a shot. But I find that a good number of battlers haven't even bothered with a topical league. They don't want to "waste their time." An RSTL tournament is a great place to show and prove your abilities. Even if you don't make it out of the first round, a single verse can prove a lot. Last 64 man tournament, DisHonour got beat by Poetiquette in round one, but he proved that, though not great, he can write a topical verse. Meanwhile, in the same tournament, Namix, another big name battler, managed to make his way through to the Final Four of the tournament, proving his writing skill to be polished and well natured. And not just battle heads can take advantage of an RSTL Tournament. L-Dogg was considered a skilled but nothing incredible writer by the masses until he took last years Fall Tournament. Since doing so, he has refined his skills and now takes a seat among the best in the league. It was that same tournament that Trap made his name known in the league, by coming very close to beating the monster that is Warren Worthington III. Tournaments are a chance to bring respect to your name, and allow your skills to shine. So everyone really should try their hardest, because "i half assed" isn't an excuse.

The Champ ISN'T Here
    Omen's Unfortunate Inability to Participate
    by Tha Talent

This Sunday, Omen became the fourth person ever (after Peril-Eyes, Jowelz, and Vern Acular) to win his 5th RSTL title. However, on Sunday it also became official that Omen would not be participating in this 64 man tournament. Omen won the last tournament, one that occurred this Summer, and was a sure fire favorite to win this one as well. However, he will be released from Serbia, where he is currently stationed with the military, soon, and he won't have time to write when that happens...so he reluctantly had to pass up this opportunity. Vern Acular, the man Omen beat last week, will be joining the military, and thus he won't have enough time either. It is unfortunate, but I wish the best to both of them in their personal lives.​
    test
  2. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

The Sun Rises In The East
    Decomposing the East Bracket
    by Mac Flow

Well I said the South was second most difficult, and it was only second IMO to the East. Wow, the potential in this Region is remarkable. Look at the names coming from this one : Richard Corey, Erykah Caine, Anaphora, Poetiquette aka JWeaks, Formal Logic, Creatical, Retulen Reactus, and MC4Sight. Holy schnikies....if that's not a healthy dose of incredible I don't know what is. Then check out the battle cats who've shown up to get themselves a piece...Oz, Ibeechu, Type Flow, even Creatical (although I personally like his topical/storytelling more). This region is full of diversity and could lead to be the most interesting if nothing else. There's a couple of cats I don't know, like Spit That and Troublesome...but for the most part I've definitely read each and every one of these folks and would venture to say that on any given day any one of them could win against anyone else. One of my favorite matches in this one already is In Your Ear vs A.S.K.....both of these dudes can really put it down when they try, ASK being an old school head and In Your Ear being one of the newest up and comers in the league. Then there's Eloquent Poet vs Erykah Caine...Erykah, IMO, is the best female writer I've ever read in the RSTL. She's super consistent and she's been really dropping fire lately. Eloquent has come raw as hell before, but has been inconsistent of sorts as well, and will have to bring A game against E.C. I think the obvious favorites in this region would boil down to Richard Corey, MC4Sight, Poetiquette, Anaphora, EC, Formal and Creatical, but the obvious favorites doesn't mean anything until the fingers hit the keys. Will Richard Corey's last minute posting antics get him the wins? Can 4Sight come out balling in this tourney as he did this last tournament? Will Poetiquette get his tree fitty together and put up some wins? What about Anaphora...been slept on a long time, but has the ability to beat anyone, he's proven it. How about EC..the first lady? Or Creatical....will he show every round and keep it consistently raw? Formal? You gonna get hot like you were before you exposed Equitus? Let's get it on...that's all I have to say. My Pick to win the East - Richard Corey...but Ricky, watch 4Sight...he ain't playin, and he said you don't want drama...hehe

Winning The West
    An Analysis of the West Bracket
    by Tha Talent

The West, in my opinion, is the strongest of the brackets. At the base of it all, are the pillars of Infinite Truth, the top seed. Though Truth is talking about possibly signing out, i will make sure to find an adequate replacement if he does go that route. However, if he does chose to participate, which I will strongly hope, he will find the talent around him to be very strong. Despite this bracket only hosting 4 Championships total, the fewest of any, non-champs such as Trap, Numskull, who has never participated in the RSTL despite amazing open mics, Headless Verseman, determined to win, Beat-move, and up-and-coming Atreyu the Arrogant. Also in the bracket, the two ex-champions other than Truth(who has 2), are Atheist and Cereal Killer. Both are full of skill, and though their respective championships lasted one week each, with no defenses, they will present problems for anyone trying to take this bracket. MadPoet is also in this bracket, and if he can find his skill level, he'll be a possible threat. Smoke Trail and Kaybi are RSTL members who have been around a reasonable amount of time, and are looking for their moment in the sun. Neither has ever made my jaw drop, but both are skilled enough to put a dent in the competition. THA IMMORTAL and Yung Impression haven't proven anything in the RSTL circuit, but both are vets and probably want to, as an earlier article stated, show and prove, their abilities. Spacenerd is Theme, and if I had known that he would have been a spot or two higher, but as is, he is a decent writer who firmly expects to be blown away by Trap. And finally we come to Urban AKA, whom i have no clue about, but he seems eager to participate. My pick to win the bracket may be a slight suprise, but I see Atheist against Numskull. Truth's heart will likely not be in the tournament, though he definitely has more than enough skill to win it all. Numskull is my pick to capitalize on that. As for Atheist, when he wants to win, he is almost unbeatable, and though Trap is amazingly talented, i'm not sure he can conquer Atheist. If Truth does put his best foot forward, I see him winning this bracket, but if not, my pick is Atheist.​
    test
  3. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

An Up North Trip
    Taking View of the North Bracket
    by Tha Talent

The North is a bracket of intruige. It could go either way, from being the strongest to being the weakest. Part of that comes from its one seed, Awedishin aka Mac Flow. The guy has had terrible luck with tournaments. Putting that aside, he's a fantastic RSTL competitor and 4x champion. Though he has had issues with consistancy from time to time, he insists that this tournament will be the Awedishin we've all wanted to see in prior tournaments. He does have competition, though. L-Dogg won the 2003 Fall Tournament, and we're all wondering if he can bring back the magic and do it again. He certainly has the skills. Tekneek is reeling, one of the hottest hands in the RSTL recently, after beating User Name and Infinite Truth in back to back weeks, both very close battles. Noib da Mutt has been waiting for his chance to shine, and though he hasn't yet reached his goal of gold, this tournament looks like a good place to do it. Ex-champ Ssenlli has a lot of talent, but will he be rusty? If not, he could end up being a dark horse and taking it all. And LiQuiDliFe is a cocky guy, a former champ, and a beliver that he can beat anyone. Edward Lake is the alias that everyone except everyone knows. He's a great writer, and has a very good shot at winning this tournament if he pushes it to full throttle. Yo Momma 2nd and Nique are both talented writers who haven't found their niche yet, but will make for an interesting 8 vs. 9 battle. The same could be said for Eternal Path, who isn't quite on their levels, but has enough skill that she could knock out an unsuspecting Liquid Life and possibly Tekneek. Brimestone aka Alpengeist screwed his seed by signing in as an alias then immediately revealing it, he would have been seeded higher had i known his skill level better. Gerald Morgan and Wurd Y's are unpolished and new RSTL heads who hope to make a name for themselves. And finally, Metelcide and Collection are two guys I have no clue about. This bracket in particular will be a fun one to watch. I see the bracket final being between Awedishin and Tekneek, with Awedishin taking the bracket. But this could go in any way.

Southern Hospitality
    Breaking Down the South Bracket
    by Mac Flow

Now, in my opinion this is the second hardest Region in the tournament. There's so much talent in this one, it's really hard to call who's coming out of this Region to the final four. Let's take a quick look at who the obvious top notch writers are here : Tha Talent, Dahlohner, U S E R, dicenyaeye, Khoi, DMeTRIUS, Insanity, Buster Hymen (sleeper, watch out now), ill-logic, and Final Chapta....wow, I've personally read multiple writings from each of these guys and I have to tell you there's a lot of amazing talent in that list of names. From someone as hardcore yet so poetic as U S E R, to mr. Perfect himself Dahlohner, to a couple of sleepers in dicenyaeye and Buster Hymen, to cats who we haven't seen in a long time in Insanity,ill-logic and DMeTRIUS, and back to one of the most versatile writer's ever known in Talent. There's 2 heads here I've never seen, or maybe alias' and those would be LekCher and Vinnie T. I don't know about these guys, but they've got their work cut out for them being unheard of and going against such tough competition. Hey look, Peepers is in this one too, and Ashen Horse, Break It, and Unavailable. All these guys are old school RSTL floaters, with the exception of Ashen Horse, who's a current up and comer himself. It's been a while since I've read anything from those old schoolers, but if they still got what they once had, even they could knock off a few of the better names in this Region on their way to a surprise tourney championship. A lot of fun stories to read will come from this one, make sure you watch and study kids. My pick to win the South = Tha Talent....but he's got his work cut out for him​
    test
  4. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

Dark Horses Run The Race
    A Look At Those That Might Suprise
    by Edward Lake

Sup y'all. This ya man Ed Lake comin through. I just peeped the brackets for the tourney, and believe me, I skeet skeet my own boxers like Nore, lol. Here's a brief introduction to the people who can upset a lot of favorites. I mean, we all know damn well that people like Talent and Corey are gonna rip shit up, but to the RSTL novice, or to the heads who don't pay attention alot, this is for you.

In the North bracket, Poetiquette is seeded 3rd. Looking at the other brackets, this means User/Tek/Atheist level. There's gotta be a bunch of people around not knowing who he is though. Poetiquette also goes by the name of Jweaks, and has been around for a hot minute. Always gets slept on, but never lets his readers down. An acquired taste, I guess. Don't be surprised if you see his poetical ass in the elite 8 or somethin though, I warned y'all.

I don't think I need to warn you about Atreyu. His cocky ass has been advertising himself all over the boards, and in the meanwhile, improved his shit faster than we could say 'you overrate yoself youngin.'. I still don't like his attitude, but he's vastly improving and can be considered a real threat. He reminds me of Dahlohner somehow. Don't underestimate em.

And of course, I'ma mention myself, Edward Lake. What did you expect, muthafucka. Lazy, that I am. But I really want to win this shit. I've been so close to the top...so close. It's made me hungry. If you need an introduction as to who I am, check out the UPN topical archive. That should say enough. If not, eat dick.

Last dark horse in this is actually an Ashen Horse, lol. He is an alias, and I know who he is. And believe me, the boy can write like crazy. He's been around for a while, and is not influenced by modern day fads..just solid writing. Definetely someone I could see in the Elite 8. Oh, and BTW, that name is cool as fuck.

Anyway, that wraps it up. Oh..and I just copped myself a new knife, and it slices through flesh like whoa. Don't vote against me and be a victim.

Outro
    yep, thanks for reading...i know, it's a great mag...have fun in the tournament, try your best, and drop good votes...peace.​
    test
  5. LDogg The King

LDogg The King The High Life

good mag.. takes a lot of time out of someones day to come up with shit like this.. and they do it for free.. you all should feel lucky to have people like talent doin this shit.
    test
  6. Word. Props to Talent.
    test
  7. Ashen Horse

Ashen Horse Ashen Horse

Thanks for the mentions... Your ability to not be shatty and lazy inspires me...
    ELake... I got a question for you then...
    test
  8. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

vote=the article titles.
    notice them, bitches.
    test
  9. Urban AKA

Urban AKA Proper Respect

Props on this ish homie.. Good read.
    test
  10. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Very nice Mag. I intend to impress.
    test
  11. DahLohner

DahLohner Straight Up Un-Holy

Good mag.

OF COURSE Ashen Horse is an ALIAS..

Am I the only RSTL member WHO DOESNT know who the fuck EDDIE LAKE is??

Damn I feel alone.

This is gonna be tight tho.

IS this tourney attracting heads from OTHER sites?? I'm frightened!!!

IMOUT
    test
  12. Kaybi

Kaybi Guest

sure. ill put a dent in the competition...
    test
  13. -Troublesome-

-Troublesome- R.I.P. Point Game

Very nice mag, props to Talent, Mac and Ed. This is gonna be fun :p
    test
  14. UneekTestimony

UneekTestimony New Member

Great Mag. I plan to major in journalism..and from my perspective, this was well-written, except for the part about someone else besides me winning in the North. Lol. Dope Mag.
    test
  15. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

word....nice work Talent and Ed..nice titles Talent. Good articles...we keep it gangsta

now I gotta concentrate on winning....I'm not gonna be lazy this time...I swear lol
    test
  16. Alpengiest

Alpengiest Wit-Eeyore..like pooh.

RSTL heads...u guys seriously have to get out of this homo poetic phase u guys are in and look past poetical devices. 80% of the battles i see arent even rap, they're more like poems that rhyme. Its very stupid.
    test
  17. Dikembe Mutombo

Dikembe Mutombo New Member

Alp

shut the fuck up

that's all
    test
  18. TeKneeK

TeKneeK The Heart and Soul of RM

i was mentioned 3x.... and better than that.... wow to be in the finals of the NORTH?

wow TALENT... i think i like u

:p

beautiful mag..... very nice to see time inputted on this... great job to all writers....

mods are doing great job.

pz.
    test
  19. U S E R

U S E R NON-DOHPE.squad

EDWARD LAKE IS VADIK
    test
  20. TRAP.

TRAP. i'm soo old school.

jeru, mobb deep, ludacris .. i don't know what the west one is.

sick mag though. pce.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.