Soul / R&B Music Is Dead.

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by DadeCounty, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DadeCounty

DadeCounty "1988"

i love music. it's been that way my whole life. lately i've been thinking about the current state of the music i love. real hip-hop / rap music is on life support. i've been posting over in that section, mostly hyping the return of Andre "The Mesiah" Benjamin later this year and hoping to light a spark in some kid's mind as to all the things rap used to be before this era of lil' wayne, 50 cent, etc., bullshit. well, if hip-hop is on life support, i hate to say it but real soul / r&b music is dead. i was born in 1973. grew up in the 80s when artists used to sing their hearts out. it makes me sad to think about what that music used to be like. so, i mine as well try to light a spark under some kid's ass here as well. let's bring real soul / r&b back people...

[youtube]13D1eO5I-uQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]5GHh4Qdc_UQ[/youtube]

[youtube]EpZHtWa70-Y[/youtube]

beyonce this...(at the 3:20 spot, G-A-M-E-O-V-E-R)
    [youtube]Fr1UznxtHfY[/youtube]

[youtube]xjLjMSut_JU[/youtube]

[youtube]671GfElFygI&feature=related[/youtube]

t-pain this...
    [youtube]wCYiYgn1XWY[/youtube]

[youtube]CwWpgMQakrw&feature=related[/youtube]

and i know you didn't think i was going to forget Overtown's Finest...

[youtube]iSALova1jgk[/youtube]
    test
  2. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Get that new Al Green, son... he's not lettin' that soul die.

And if you wanna hear a soulful siren blow instead of just chantin' and chirpin'... get with Alice Smith.
    test
  3. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

Here you go, if you've never heard of this guy Javier. He is unbelievable. Really refreshing to hear from someone like this. I think the mainstream market is so polluted now, because guys as talented as this aren't making any waves when they REALLY should. Anyways:

[youtube]TCM-5aPQPhM&amp[/youtube]

Live video = not as good sound quality, but I bet you'll be looking for his other stuff when you hear this.
    test
  4. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

R&B messed up when it got too much like rap in the early 90's. R&B artist and producers need to go back to emphasizing instruments and not just beats. I wanna hear some creative basslines,keyboards,horns and guitars.

As far as neo soul I mainly like Maxwell. I wish there was some neo funk people out there.
    test
  5. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^You might have to check the Brand New Heavies and other British R&B acts for "neo-funk"... they're very retro across the pond.

Lewis Taylor is another one... he's an eclectic mix, though... of neo-soul, funk, smooth jazz, rock, etc.

The Dap-Horns released an album last year... I think they're an old group, though.
    test
  6. Brahsafa Powell

Brahsafa Powell 100M King of Kingston

Cool Ben Johnson avy, DadeCounty.
    test
  7. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

You could say that New Jack Swing killed R&B...a lot of people feel that way, because it made R&B sound too much like rap.
    test
  8. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

It makes me sad to think of how much great music is being put out today that will never be heard except by a few fortunate souls who seek out the good stuff. For my money, the best soul song of last year is one 99.999% of this country never heard and never will:
    JJ Grey & Mofro - The Sun is Shining Down
    [youtube]UO-h8y8TgoE[/youtube]

I don't know, man, this new Al Green album sounds like more of a producer's album than anything else. Nearly every song seems underwritten and under-sung. (can I get at least 1 song with more than 2 lines in the chorus?) Maybe I'll get it after listening a few more times.

And if you folks are looking for the next big thing, check out the Carolina Chocolate Drops:
    [youtube]gHLwZg0KfNs[/youtube]

Who's with me?
    test
  9. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I'll check on those, The Jeus... your tastes are normally congruent with mine.

I did read some reviews about the Green album not having very good writing, but I don't know. His approach to songwriting has always been minimal and more or less reliant on inflection and stylistic vocal performances. And they've always had heavy production, even going back to the '60s. The drums, the horns, the organs, etc. always hit hard. This is more of the same from Al. Not any experimentation or evolution at all... and I ain't mad at it.
    test
  10. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Or maybe it was the Moog synthesizer that killed R&B?

I used to think rap killed R&B, but truthfully, R&B needed rap to stay afloat in the late '80s. Teddy Riley rejuvenated the genre, but it just so happened that his style became formulaic real quick from over-use and lack of variety. Then it had to be revitalized again when Puffy and them converted NJS to Hip Hop Soul, but of course, the same results happened as they did with NJS.

I think R&B hit its apex around the mid '70s and it went downhill from there when the synthesizer was introduced. There became less usage of musical instruments and the sound went from being warmly 'organic' to cold and highly synthesized, for the most part, just like other forms of pop music.

Stevie Wonder did great things with the synthesizer, but with other acts, the results weren't always so great. Then disco came and went, which really made the form suffer. However, there were always great singers, even throughout the '80s. But as the '90s dawned and ever since, I've noticed a decrease in vocal talent in R&B, which has always been a defining component of the genre. The writing suffered, as well.

Neo-soul was sort of a response to the generic, formula sound of Hip Hop Soul, by attempting to return to the "old soul" sound, but then it became formulaic itself and never really sounded like "old soul," aside from a few exceptions. I think if you appreciate the value of songwriting, vocals and instrumentation, then R&B has a chance of staying the course. There's nothing really wrong with synthesization in and of itself, it's just how it's used. The non-singers definitely have to go. They can do rock or blues, where good singing isn't that important. We also need better writers. Where are the Gamble & Huff guys? The people who wrote poetry to music? Corrine Bailey Rae is one of R&B/soul's brightest new stars and she's a GREAT writer. Not pretentious. Not banal. Just right.

That's my 2 cents on the matter, and of course it is highly condensed, which leaves room for further examination.
    test
  11. DadeCounty

DadeCounty "1988"

instrumentation and musical styles may have had something to do with it, but you're right, whatever happened to the artists that could just flat out saaaannng...
    test
  12. That Nigga

That Nigga aka Hot Shyt

pick up some Anthony David
    test
  13. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

After listening to some old Al Green, you sir, are absolutely correct. I still haven't listened to the new album again yet, but what you say here is definitely accurate.
    test
  14. filthyphil

filthyphil New Member

test
  15. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

LOL damm...yeah that is definitely on point to me.

I think R&B since the mid 70's soul has had to rely on whatever else was "hot", and that's usually been rap. There were sparks in the 80's where some artists had a Jazz influence, like Anita, but the music that came out then was classic. As bad as disco may have been, it inspired many classic songs from that funk/soul/r&b era that you may or may not consider to be disco...such as "Outstanding" from Gap Band or tracks that Slave and artists like that performed.

Neo Soul would have been even better if they could have just expanded on the sound...it was like a modern type of soul that sounded different, but was still inspired by it to where the older crowd seemed to like it. It just became too cliche, and artists who weren't even soulful started jumpin on the bandwagon.
    test
  16. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

A lot of artists out there not yet known...that are pretty exceptional.
    test
  17. Shy

Shy a.k.a. Klear Eyed

Someone else but me knows Javier...dope. Maybe he's finally getting around.

Mateo is good too:
    [youtube]vO9Sr1CAylI[/youtube]
    [youtube]nbh7_s1DUJI[/youtube]

It's not dead at all. No genre is. It's deeper than ever, so you just have to search harder. We've got more than 3 decent artists/groups these days, so they've gotta work harder for recognition.
    test
  18. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Jazmine Sullivan don't give y'all hope?

Find the clip of her singing "I'm In Love With Another Man" for label reps.
    That will renew your hope that the passion and what made music special when we were growing up is still alive and well. It just doesn't live on the radio.
    test
  19. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

[youtube]YnQb9VMvno4[/youtube]

[youtube]KZJuOa6JjAI[/youtube]

[youtube]FZ3rIxzTvp0[/youtube]

[youtube]Xw9jr1mr7S4[/youtube]

[youtube]mBpvvhVWrYc[/youtube]

[youtube]M8Vjp83vtak&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]kbSqu3L8YmA[/youtube]

[youtube]49dbZ8UdEb4[/youtube]

[youtube]XO0zbG4PYsY[/youtube]

[youtube]feKSDMZVH_w&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]oNsrGFu4W8k[/youtube]

[youtube]Q6x5TttWnnk&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]_6DdZzm3WVw[/youtube]

[youtube]2Wq4uab4_9U[/youtube]

[youtube]a0_EJLi9nq8[/youtube]

[youtube]CI5qh-7K5LQ&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]W27sVeI8rTo[/youtube]

[youtube]PhCXxtAIGmc&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]CYkAch7mBGM[/youtube]

[youtube]XdbUFN_KM5g[/youtube]

sometimes people on this board make me sick. Always complaining and nostalgic. If I always thought about my grandmother and how it was when i was growing up I'd always be sad too.

70's are over everyone understands that but that doesn't mean the world stops turning. People still out here "singing their hearts out" so lay off it. It's so much to choose from...take your pick and be happy with it if you don't want to fine stay listening to what you listen to but stop downing stuff that comes out now.
    test
  20. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Or how about Frank McComb?
    [youtube]G6Vn2aFayXY&feature=related[/youtube]
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.