Something I was thinking about.

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Mind~$oul, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

Before I post a poem, I'll usually show it to like 3 different people that post here. lpoet, allnakey, and sometimes brit boi gee. Depending on who is on at the time. And each time i'm always on some..."man this shit sucks, but i'ma let you peep it though"

It's not only me, but I see a lot of other poets who would post something and say it sucks but the replies they get are totally different.

Just a few minutes ago I was sitting back and trying to think on a reason why I think all of work sucks. Well why I think the majority of it does. And I really couldnt come up with a good answer. I write it and I dont like it, but I have no reason why.

So my question is, why do you think so many poets feel so insecure about their work all the time?
    test
  2. Clarksvegas_Dan

Clarksvegas_Dan Registered Voter

I don't know about others but I'm always insecure because I know the forms and techniques of good poets, but that doesn't always mean I can put them in my poems. I write the way I like to write, but I guess a part of me is constantly predicting and assuming the possible criticisms I might receive and I don't really have any defense for my writing. It is what it is. Luckily I have had some wonderful responses to my poetry in the realm. And I'm always feeling a little bit better about my own poetry when I see others in the realm ignoring the 'Rules' of good poetry too. I guess I'm always just afraid that someone like predicate is going to tear my work apart on stylistic points and not consider what the poem is actually saying. That's all I've got, good topic Mind~Soul
    test
  3. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

^Couldnt have said it better myself. I think that's my main problem. Nice feedback.
    test
  4. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

well...let me see. It's like waking up an hour late in the morning (when you have less than 10 min. to haul --- to school,) and you have tired eyes-THEN you look into the mirror and think [fuc]

lol just playing...

haha at what Mind said-..."man this shit sucks, but i'ma let you peep it though"<--you make it sound like you're frustrated.

to the question, I don't really know-maybe they feel they're up against something, like competing, etc. but if so I don't get it. Now I can understand wanting to become a better writer. It's like everytime a poet writes and looks back over it their expectations of it lowered. They pick up the pen with so many wonderful ideas, but when they're finished, they think wt?

I like my stuff, but never am I satisfied, keep on thinking I know this could be better, but instead of changing a piece I'll just write something else, whenever. I don't get discouraged, it makes me driven.
    test
  5. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Good Lord now if I didn't come close to adding my cents to your question, I'm sorry man!
    test
  6. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

word i do the same shit, cept i dont msg those 3 poets, and this is to my open mic work more-over

ne ways, i think its just a pessimistic value some ppl have

maybe its because you are like me and refuse to believe good can come out of you?

eh
    test
  7. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

i think its because we as a poet can never really accept our inner conscience emotions... regardless if they have bad or good intent... insecure b/c we dont really know what is expected half the time...
    test
  8. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

^^i think its more of a struggle of the audience you are trying to touch and the overall reaction u are expecting

or something to that affect
    test
  9. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

wooooord up

lot of my work I dont really consider to be good until others (audience) reacts to the words and point out the parts that I wanted them to point out and grasp at the hidden meanings and concepts that I planted and when I can bring new inspiration to others it really is a poetic high....I've only experience on a few rare pieces which I consider classics...."Ode to Ray Charles"...."departed cliffhanger"...and the "Vertical Ventilation"...which I've recieved postive feedback on and offline where ever I share it...both poems were just another poem to me that I was feeling at the moment and expressed what needed to be said in a way that only I can do it....I'm a little insecure how others will respone but once I hear many different people saying they like it then...and only then do I feel confident about that particular piece.....weird but thats how I am
    test
  10. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

I just asked you guys this in my thread in here..look like I've found some answers =)

I don't know too many poets who have egos about their work.

I don't always think that all my stuff is bad/not good. But like I said in my thread..the stuff that I do realize as being "good" usually comes either after people have told me that..or in retrospect. .... looking back on it after a couple months and viewing it more in an outsiders perspective.

Any insecurity I have is based on what I know other's can do...and wanting to be able to DO THAT. But then again you must realize that each person's style is totally unique and no matter what you do you can never touch another TRUE poet's style...b/c everybody's is totally unique.
    test
  11. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

That makes sense.

I hate fearing that people won't "get it"

I never expect people to truly get it...if they did they would be totally inside my head experiencing the world as I experience and that would be freaky lol
    But I'm afraid..that the main points will slip right by them or something
    B/c I know although it is so clear to me....
    It may not be like that for other people.
    test
  12. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

You just discovered another one. Well...I won't say I have an ego about my work...I will say that I am confident about it though. See, I know I'm a good poet. If I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere with it. If you aren't sure and positive about your work NO ONE ELSE WILL BE! I know that my shit is fire, if to no one else to me. I write for me majorally anyway. I write to vent, to ponder, to express all types of emotions. Wether or not someone feels me is irrelivant. But of course KUDOS for you if you do. If I read a piece my Bhitiah or Mind Soul and I don't like it, it doesn't mean that it isn't good....it just mean at that point in my life I wasn't feeling it. But at any given time I can read that same piece and be profoundly touched!!

I couldn't really tell you why poets feel insecure about their work. I never was. It was one of FEW things I have always been confident about.
    test
  13. LthGd

LthGd Enternal Knowledge

I feel that way sometimes..
    test
  14. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

insecurities are a poet's closest friend. We are our biggest critics, but I think it's better we don't like our own work. Nothin worse than a poet with an ego.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.