Someone Explain Why Illmatic...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by -Oz-, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

100 posts. I got me a platinum thread yo.
    test
  2. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

you've got a serious comprehension problem
    test
  3. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

Not suprising, if I made a thread titled "Why Reasonable Doubt and The Infamous are overrated and not good albums.." or something, it would be the same size
    test
  4. Superman70

Superman70 edited

This is bull.

I'm a MUSIC fan first and a hip hop fan second.

If hip hop is music then its first goal should be to have a pleasing sound, to entertain. I don't listen to music to get a message any more than I watch movies or read books to get a message.

It's nice to be educated and learn things from music/movies/books, but first and foremost all that shit is for en-ter-tain-ment.

You have to be entertaining first, THEN informative/lyrics/whatever. Illmatic is just not that damn entertaining to me.
    test
  5. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

How could it be. Its fucking boring.
    test
  6. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Your Louis Logic thread went wood, though.
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Excellent statement
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Thank you.... But while entertaining, it should still have lyrics/be informative... I need a good medium but I'm more towards the lyrics and then the sound....

And don't call me a Nas hater because at the time, It Was Written was one of my favorite albums... I feel It Was Written was better than Illmatic.... Illmatic made the bigger impact... Nas just isn't as great as people attempt to claim...

And for the du' that was dissin' on Common.... I'd put some of Common's classics against ANY OF NAS'S classics.... If you don't think Common has as good (if not better) rhyme schemes than Nas, you're on drugs... Multis alone, Common has Nas beat by a mile.....
    test
  9. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

And no, Nas doesn't have similar rhyme schemes as Kool G Rap nor Big Daddy Kane nor Rakim.... What the fuck are you talkin' about? Nas usually uses monosyllabic rhymes 'n weaves a few schemes in and out within a span of bars... But his rhyme schemes nor multis are nice... BDK, G.Rap, and Rakim all used more extensive multis into the 90's.... And Common isn't a legend?!?! Get the fuck outta here..... Common's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more consistent than Nas has ever been... He's dropped just as many classics.... Are you smokin' crack?!!?!? And his rhyme schemes are DEFINITELY better than Nas's... That's not even an argument.... I don't know what the fuck you're listenin' to or if you've even listened to them at all after that statement.... And who the fuck said Common is better or more advanced lyrically than G Rap or Rakim? Don't put words in my mouth.... I said he's in that league... AND YES HE IS.... Common's a damn legend in his own-right..........
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

When I said this, I meant you put Nas in the level of G.Rap, Rakim, and BDK.... You said Nas was elite with rhyme schemes... Then I mentioned several people that shit on him as far as rhyme schemes..... And there's more... The only thing is that some of the cats I'd name are trash because their content is trash 'n they just rhyme multis.....
    test
  11. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

Man you really gotta cool out, u are accusing me of saying things I didn't say, and for the record, Common IS a leged, in my opinion he has 3 classic albums which is an incredible feat, and overall he would probably be #11 or #12 on my all time greatest MCs list, so don't get it twisted, I was just talking about Common vs. Nas in terms of technical lyricism. But this argument is goin nowhere, I am done with it but I just wanted to clear that up, I know how great Common is. On the other hand, I dont think you fully appreciate how great Nas is, but oh well...
    test
  12. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

i coulda went more into the content of each song but it was 3AM lol
    test
  13. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

Not to dogg anyone, but to say you can't listen to it cuz it's boring...Are you really listening? I love the album, it's a classic to me...not even his best album IMO also, I think It Was Written is a classic, and a better album. But to say it's not listenable is really ludicrous. I think you really have to love and understand the 90's style of Hiphop to get the full effect of this album. I grew up on this type of shit, it's almost like when you don't appreciate your parents music, until you grow up and realize the artistry behind it. Not to dogg anybody's age or taste in music...but you kinda have to be a certain age to understand the mind set of Nas at that time to get the full effect.
    test
  14. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge New Member

Co-sign 100%

Hip-Hop evolved you fags...A correct CD from 2006 will still be better than a 94' classic.
    You're just brainwashed by that this fuckin consensus which say Illmatic is the dopest shit ever and every real hip-hoper must admit it...Hahaha fuck that bullshit, let's get real, Illmatic is a dope album from 1994, in 2006, shit is outdated...

Real talk.
    test
  15. Bugzy Bogart

Bugzy Bogart New Member

actually i play more nintendo games now than i do any other system. i think metroid is better than 99% of the games out there today. same with zelda. is there anyone who's my age (29) and a sports fan that can HONESTLY tell me that baseball stars was not the most fun baseball game youve ever played??? ive played like 10 full seasons with that game. trying to win with the snk crushers - or playing against the black sox with their speed and sick defense? or the girl team with the skirts?!? those games were GREAT games. games i still play today.

obviously the graphics arent as good. obviously you cant go on the internet and put a helmet on and talk to kids in Yugoslavia with a nintendo game. The games are much more advanced now. More realistic. But does that make them BETTER??

many people from that era still pop illmatic into their disc today or have it on permanent rotation on their i••••. well, gamecube, nintendo wii, and plenty of other platforms STILL make nintendo games available. why?!? BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING GOOD GAMES! they were FUN. they werent centered around quaility and realism - just fun. the music today is produced much better. the vocals sound crisper. the sound effects are more realistic. everything's digital. but because the quality is better and the technology is more advanced, does that make it better?? if thats the case, then why does every "Now That's What I Call Music" - which features OLDER music, hit number 1 on the charts???? why do the beatles till outsell everything in the world??? ray charles and elvis and james brown didnt have nearly the equipment and sound quality we have today - so does that make our music better????

yall need to shut the fuck up and grow up.
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Sorry but I'd play Madden 2007 or NBA 2K7 over any old sports game.... And I loved Techmo Superbowl (that game was a classic) but Madden absolutely shits on it.... Sorry, I like realism and more control over what's goin' on....

Yes, it does make it better.... It makes it more fun because it's more realistic.... You can almost relate to the players and each move and choice you have to make...

I've already explained this... People listen to classics for that old vintage sound/vibe you get from listenin' to it... To reminisce on what you felt during the days those classics came out....

Same reason people play Nintendo games.... Not a single person that's even half intelligent would tell you Techmo Superbowl is a better game than Madden '07.... Maybe they'll tell you they have more fun or it makes them remember the old days 'n it just feels good to play it sometimes, but nobody in their right mind would say it's better than Madden.... I'm sorry, but it's the damn truth....

And how do the Beatles still outsell everything in the world? It sold a lot during their moment... They don't sell a lot at this moment.... I'm sorry, if I'm not mistaken, N'Sync has the record for most records sold in the first week (I forget the name of the album) with like 2.3 million records.... MORE THAN THE BEATLES.... Eminem has the record for solo artist with like 1.7 million.... Get your numbers right.... And that's with mp3 downloading and Napster and other programs having had already began the destruction of record sales.....

And we're not talkin' about soul or singing.... Cuz singing doesn't have the technical aspects as writing rap verses.... Singing is singing... You either have "the voice" or you don't.... Half the times, you're not even writing your own lyrics.... It's not just the recording quality that's been enhanced in rap... It's the technical aspects of rhyming; rhyme schemes, punchlines, wordplay (it's no longer "like a cookie, you're gonna crumble" mumbo jumbo).....

It's advanced.... The content lacks these days but the actual art of rhyming has been far advanced.... Delivery has died down because the beat has taken such a major role in rap these days, I agree, but that's not for every MC.... Sorry, I don't like all of Tech N9ne's music but his delivery shits on almost any MC I've ever heard.... Pharoahe Monch has arguably one of the illest deliveries I've ever heard in my life.... Eminem does shit with his delivery that nobody's ever done before that's just straight ill (even tho' his rhymes have fell off drastically).... Not everybody is monotonous and boring sounding like say a Fabolous, Lloyd Banks, Jadakiss, Ma$e, etc....

So no, I don't need to shut the fuck up and I've been grown..... Sorry to burst your bubble!
    test
  17. KneeKnow

KneeKnow New Member

i didnt get a chance to read everyones posts and id rather not be influenced by it

that said, Illmatic is a gem in music for the following reasons:
    In a time where New York was the Frank Sinatra beautiful centre of the universe, a teenage Nas had the ability to take that concept and show his story.

New York City life is trife life. Simple and plain. Sure there is a beauty to it on the outside, but it is on plated with gold on the surface. If you dig deeper, it is nothing more than a "rotten apple"

If anyone doubts the beats and MJ samples on "It Ain't Hard to Tell," they do not belong in the world of music. period.

and the lyrics arent so special? i say BULL:

"I Drank Moet With Medusa, Gave her Shotguns in Hell"
    98% of people who have heard that album dont even get that punchline, and yes it is a punchline.

If you think that line isnt so special, say so and ill be glad to break that down.

To think that the 1st verse of NY state of mind (which happens to tied with Poet Laureate II by Canibus for my favorite song of all time) is just insane. NAs was on a different echelon in his late teens than grown men were at the time.

Then, towards the end of the album, Nas shows that there is a hope.
    Sure he and many of his peers are forced to fight back or die in this hazardous living environment, but Nas shows that there are other ways out of struggle. He personally travels the road of the rapper. It is very possible to find the beauty in all of the ugliness that is new york. The problem, however, is one must embrace where they come from; not reject it. Therefore, Nas is basically paying homage to the land that made him.

The album cover itself speaks more volumes than most albums do. A child in front of a picture of the largest project housing in the world. At such a young age, a child, representing innocence, is exposed to this grimey world that becomes his reality.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.