Someone Explain Why Illmatic...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by -Oz-, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Shit is trash.
    test
  2. Syza Koza

Syza Koza New Member

Why make the thread asking for reasons if you're so unwilling to listen to reasons. Once a few people started making replies pertaining to the question and detailed their thoughts, all you could reply with is 'shit is trash'.
    test
  3. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Eat a dick.
    test
  4. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I've been sayin' this... People are stupid... They can't understand the difference between impact and how great something is....... They're two separate things... You can have a bigger impact than another man but that doesn't mean you necessarily are better at that thing than that man.....
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Oh yeah, and for anyone sayin' I don't know shit about hip hop or whatever, I was born in Queens and listened to hip hop since '89... So get outta here wit that nonsense....

And the REAL EXPLANATIONS of why this album was so amazing was mostly based on IMPACT... Once again, IMPACT doesn't define how great something is.....

You can be a GREAT writer/poet with some of the deepest, thought provoking ideas in them and not be hailed the greatest because there's someone like Langston Hughes that exists 'n the hype resonates around......

Try to figure this out cuz it works wit this example too and I always use it when it comes to this.... You know Bruce Lee isn't the greatest fighter or even martial artist ever, right? Case closed.....
    test
  6. Syza Koza

Syza Koza New Member

I think it's high time you put on your N'sync CD.

You're a prima donna, who's opinions go against the grain JUST to be awkward, a drama queen who'll say something just to rile up the masses to sucker someone in to feed into your childlike games. You lack respect for other peoples opinions and then cry when someone posts something the differs from yours; 'why do you back up an argument against my opinion with an argument against Joe budden' or some shit. Yet you're backing up a comment with 'eat a dick'. Yeah, ok, way to go.

When some individuals in this thread offers a response, you go quiet, in a shell and STFU, when that's what you asked for in the first place. You're just a retard man.. go back to waiting for Budden's CD coming out and jerk off over the front cover, or go post some more soundscan numbers that show now wack krs-one is.

Me, out.
    test
  7. Treach

Treach Raw & Funky

test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Brilliant
    test
  9. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

But you're failing to realize that Illmatic was impactful AND great.

*smh*
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Being from NYC and listening to the music since '89 doesn't automatically make a hip hop expert.

How big is your collection? Do you fuck with other regions, styles, eras, etc.? Do you listen to both underground and mainstream? Does your 8-year study of lyricism also include the study of song craftmanship, beatmaking, album coherency, qualities that separate stars from average joes, the industry mechanics, the economy, label issues, etc.?

And FYI, Impact does define how great something is... otherwise, it wouldn't create an impact. Do you even know what the word means? I think you got it twisted... greatness won't always equal impact, hence the reason why some artists are underrated and slept on.
    test
  11. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

Hahah you must be a miserable person.
    test
  12. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

c/s haha, that post was ON POINT.
    test
  13. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

again, c/s 100%
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I never said I was an expert bein' that I've been listenin' to hip hop since '89 but the claim was that half the people in this thread weren't listenin' to hip hop when Illmatic dropped in order to feel it's impact... I felt it's impact when it dropped....

And my collection is HUGE.... I have 100's of album's 'n mixtapes (burnt and not burnt).... And yes, I fuck wit different styles, regions, eras, and whatever.... I'm into MC's like Common, Kweli, Mos Def... Then I like artists like Pharoahe Monch... then I think du's like Tech N9ne have amazing talent... Then I'm into guys like Crooked I and Eminem in his prime... then I like Kanye West 'n Lupe Fiasco.... I love Andre's style 'n originality at times.... Luda's new shit was fire but I hate majority of southern shit... I like anything DOPE! (key word)

And yes, I know shit about "song craftmanship"... It's not that complex.......... Bridges, hooks, verses..... Intros... Outros from time to time... Adlibs, dubz, effects... So on... And you don't study album coherency.... It's just there or not there.... What separates stars from "average joes" is just personality and gimmicks, obviously.... And yes, I know shit about how the "business-side" of the industry works.....

And once again, IMPACT does not define greatness.... 50 Cent has made an ENORMOUS IMPACT on hip hop... Doesn't mean he's great.... Nelly (at his time) made a enormous impact on hip hop... Doesn't mean he's a great MC.... KRS 1 had an ENORMOUS impact on hip hop but you listen to his rhymes from back then 'n it's almost elementary school raps.... I understand what it is to be an MC and the gradual transformation it took as it developed into what it is today (negatively or positively).... Nas was ahead of his time at THAT TIME and it was great AT THAT TIME but it isn't as great as something AMAZING today...

Once again, impact or ahead of its time doesn't define greatness... How great you are at something is dependent only on how great you are at something.... Bruce Lee isn't the greatest martial artist ever just because outta every martial artist, he made the biggest impact..... PERIOD
    test
  15. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

Umm no they didn't, not at all. Just because they sold an enormous amount of records, that means they made an enormous impact? No, 50 cent did absolutely nothing to change or influece the art of hip hop music, the impact you are talking about is vastly different from what we are discussing when we say Illmatic made a huge impact on hip hop. What artists would not exist if Nelly never came in the game? None. How was the art of hip hop transormed or influenced by Nelly or 50 cent. IT WASNT. Get record sales out of your mind and you will not say stupid things.
    test
  16. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Why is it so important whether Illmatic is his best anyway?

No one's saying it's wack. (except when it's done simply to piss people off).
    some people just prefer a more updated sound.

Honestly, some of that old school sounding stuff is hard to listen to.

Yeah he's saying a lot, but I care more about the sound of a song than the words being said. Good lyrics are nice, but they are not at the top of the list for me.
    test
  17. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge New Member

I agree with the thread starter and ANDtheMC.

HH Is Dead would been a fuckin classic if it've been dropped in '94...If Illmatic been droped yesterday, y'all would say it's trash AND outdated.

Word !
    test
  18. Sparticus2

Sparticus2 New Member

That is precisely the difference between a true hip hop fan, and a casual listener. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a casual listener, but if you are you would not be able to fully appreciate the greatness of an album like Illmatic. Everyone who has been saying that Illmatic is mediocre and boring ect. are casual listeners, not true hip hop heads...
    test
  19. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

No.... IMPACT IS IMPACT... Whether it's through sales or how you influence the evolution of the genre or it's how you effect other artists in the game....

If you don't sell, there's no way for you to make an impact.... And if you don't recognize 50 Cent's impact or influence on hip hop the last 4-5 years, then you're ignorant.... I HATE 50 as much as a person can hate someone that has no direct effect on ones' life but his impact on hip hop is undeniable.... Go ask any muh'fucka in the music industry if 50 Cent has changed the face of hip hop (especially this new generation) and they'd agree... Even Talib Kweli said he respected 50 for what he does and how enormous of an explosion he created in the game.... It's a fact... Impact does not define greatness.... 50 Cent is the best example at the moment............
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

EXACTLY..... Best way to explain what I'm talkin' about is Nintendo... When Nintendo came out whenever it did, it was fuckin' AMAZING.... It blew my mind that we could sit there 'n stick a cartridge in a fuckin' system 'n be entertained 'n have fun for hours.... But go play a Nintendo now... That Nintendo had a MAJOR IMPACT on lives of millions 'n the entire video gaming world (which is enormous) but it's shitty compared to even a Playstation 2.... Today, a Playstation 2 is almost AVERAGE....

Yes, Nintendo was amazing at that time 'n completely mindblowing... Some people might want to actually put a Nintendo game like Zelda in and play just to reminisce 'n feel that vintage feeling of playing a classic game.... But Nintendo isn't a classic because how great of a system it is.... It's a classic system because of it's impact it had and how it revolutionized gaming.... It's a classic because it was so ahead of it's time.......

So shut the fuck up wit that nonsense that impact and greatness are the same thing.... Nobody would call Nintendo great today..... Ya'll are just brainwashed....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.