Some of my work.

Discussion in 'Graphic Forum' started by Rorshak, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rorshak

Rorshak (1313)

I'll admit. I'm pretty amateurish. But I do like how these graphics turned out enough to post them here.

First off, this was made for a friend of mine who raps under the moniker of Surreal Killa for a gangster rap mixtape/album he's working on.

[​IMG]

This next one was made for an artist who calls himself the DC Sniper. I don't like the text looking at it now but he said he liked it.

[​IMG]
    test
  2. Rorshak

Rorshak (1313)

This one was made for myself. I'm the ugly nerdy looking mother fucker in the center.

[​IMG]

This one was made for another friend of mine under the name of Vyce. This was for a free mixtape/album he released. That white up at the top doesn't look very good but I don't even remember putting that there. Strange.

[​IMG]

And I had to post this one because friends of mine have said it's the best I've done. It was for a horrorcore project that has not yet come to fruition and may very well not.

[​IMG]
    test
  3. eneyekay

eneyekay Graphic Designer

1st one.
    too much black area... try keeping the wood grain on the whole thing, add a black layer over the top, cut out a circle and add a gaussian blur to it and change the layer fx to colour burn or something so it looks like a proper spotlight... put that letter between the black layer and the woodgrain... same with the gun. Your text choice is poor and looks like it's just floating, using a font with guns at the 'Rs' is very cliché, and same with the appauling 'Gangsta Rap' font... be creative for gods sake and do something different!!!

2nd.
    Don't ever stretch images... it looks shit if you do. this I wouldn't even class as design. a shitty webcam image of someone on a horribly coloured background isn't good at all. you've stretched the font just like everything else, and yes, like you noted, you should like it, because it is a crap font unless used in the right circumstances. If it's a logo type thing you're after, do that in Illustrator!

3rd.
    Horrible collagé. The separate elements don't come together at all, it'd be good if there was a theme. Text is awful. I've no idea what the point of that border is... try re-doing this thing but with full bleed. Some decent cutting out of images and layer blending would be good.

4th.
    The text isn't legible. DON'T USE GAUSIAN BLUR AROUND TEXT! IT LOOKS SHIT!!!!! well, it does when your font choices are bad. You stretched the type AGAIN!

5th.
    Yes, this is probably the best piece you've done... but that doesn't make it any good. I'm sure you've put it together using crappy tiny jpgs from google... what's with your font choices, I mean really?! The whole thing says nothing to me. Graphic Design is a form of communication. Just because you make something with a cliché horror font and wack a skull on there, doesn't mean it should be considered horrorcore.

riiiight... remember: less is more, keep things simple. Don't over-photoshop EVERYTHING. Don't stretch text/images. The font 'Helvetica' has so many types and can be used on so many things, it's probably best if amateurs stick with it. Doing so will also force you to be more creative with the text.

I used to produce wotk like this when I was about 15/16yo... and it's only because of harsh critiques that I got better. Keep at it, take any and all advice... especially the negatives... and if you're serious about design, study it at college/university... oh, and keep up with modern trends via professional portfolios and magazines... your *design* work here is very early 90s. Move on!!!!!!!
    test
  4. Rorshak

Rorshak (1313)

Thanks for the criticism. I'll take it into account on any future work I do.
    test
  5. Ressurrector

Ressurrector New Member

Constructive critism????? How bout bein an ass clown extreme..... I don't know what alternate timeline you lived through but the early 90's I lived in only saw "windows 3.1" as state of the art pc technology...And if memory serves that shit didn't even have even a simple "microsoft paint" SO there is literally NO way you could have made anything close to anything here save maybe scissors and some scrap magazines you had.. I just can't stand to see people like YOU bashing on people that try WHEN you don't even have the facts straight yourself...

Graphic designer with a time machine?????????? ooooooooooooook With the attitude you got

[​IMG]
    test
  6. Ressurrector

Ressurrector New Member

p.s. you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO predictable Eldi

your senseless hate exposes you EVERY time.....

You can play "Agent Smith" all you want and cop a thousand identities BUT you still can't win..................................................
    test
  7. eneyekay

eneyekay Graphic Designer

^^^have you got the right thread? I think you have not only confused me with someone else (Eldi?), but (unless I'm mistaken) this isn't even your work I was critiquing. Rorshak took the comments in the way I meant them, so I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to dig up an old thread and spout off some jibberish.

If you post some work up, I'll be more than happy to give you my harsh professional opinion too... but really, if this was your work and you came back with your response, then design really isn't for you as there's no way you would be able to cope with the critiques I got when I was at University... and how would you be with clients who didn't like what you produced for them?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.