Some good, real music other than rap?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Murder Ink, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex Iscariot

Dex Iscariot New Member

hahahahahahahahaha

dude, just shut the fuck up.

now.
    test
  2. x - calibur

x - calibur Guest

lol @ creed

i remember hearing on the radio a soundclip from this other guy, i forget his name, on stage at some concert.. he ripped creed, he said something like "SCOTT STAPP IS BACKSTAGE RIGHT NOW ACTING LIKE HES FUCKING MICHAEL JACKSON"

lmaoo
    test
  3. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I can't believe that there are people that listen to R&B.
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Didn't Creed get sued for having a concert once?
    test
  5. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

I can't believe ska has a fanbase.
    test
  6. D. MonEy25

D. MonEy25 Gifted With The Words

why can't you believe people listen to R&B? It's more fucking music than alot of these metal genres alot of you listen to.
    test
  7. Dex P. LaMorte

1. it's gay
    2. it's boring
    3. it's focused entirely too much on vocals
    4. it's limited interms of lyrical content

there hasn't been a truly innovative R&B artist since Ray Charles.

if you're into lame, redundant, unprogressive music, then r&b and most "urban" associated genres are right up your alley.

most metal is garbage and doesn't qualify as music by definition, but at least it takes technical skill and some bands at least try to be different.
    test
  8. merke

merke ...

the metal scene is a friggin joke metallica of old is still the best yet it's the most hated band ever
    test
  9. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

wtf ska is one of the best sounding genres out there, i think. reel big fish's album is great, mighty mighty bosstones actually have made more songs than "the impression that i get", and rx bandits is a great combo of ska & punk. you've gotta brush up on yo ska, bruh.

though r&b is extremely limited, i still like to listen to it in moderation. ne-yo is a great artist who actually WRITES HIS OWN SHIT. anthony hamilton is a huge breath of fresh hair. and alicia keys is simply a goddess.
    test
  10. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

stevie wonder? marvin gaye? donny hathaway? george clinton? prince?
    i agree there is much to be desired lyrically from most of today's R&B, but there are still some artists who occasionally venture a song outside of the relationship and there is plenty of fine musicianship being displayed [i.e. van hunt], although it tends to not reach the mainstream.
    test
  11. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

oh and lol @ creed. [funny]
    if you're going to recommend sentimental pablum, at least recommend good pablum like, say, the kinks or heck even the goo goo dolls, anything but creed.
    test
  12. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

HAHAHA, LOL. No actually you fucking morons up there as far as recent bands, Creed is one of the best at covering a wide variety of topics. Not to mention that their first album was great, and I'd bet you fuckin assholes used to listen to it but jumped ship when it was the "cool thing to do". All of your idiotic comments just show that you are just like the "herds" of moronic listeners out there.

Yes, Creed was a very good band. Not like whatever bands you listen to that only talk about stupid dark bullshit. Or wait, how about Nirvana who was poor music with stupid nonsensical lyrics. Oh yes, what innovators they were! Give ma a fucking break. Or is that why grunge is such a powerhouse now? Creed was one of the best content based bands in a while, regardless of what any of you dumb asses think.
    test
  13. Gorilla Nasty

And another thing for people that Hate on R&B. Did I not fuckin say that to find good R&B you have to look early 90's and before? R&B is consistently the best written music even to this day. Right now good R&B is written better than any other music lyrically. But since R&B never steps outside of the realm of love either, let me think off the top of my head a few songs:

The Temptations- Ball of Confusion - About racial indifferences and political corruption.

Marvin Gaye- Mercy Mercy Me - About the Vietnam war

Boyz II Men- So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday- A song that is so discretely (the mark of a great song) written that it can be applied to almost any situation.

Otis Redding (though I think it can be considered soul)- Sittin on The Dock of The Bay- It's hard to explain this one.

The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone- About how some guys dad was a peice of shit (not unlike some of you guys!!!)

But yes, EVERY R&B song ever was about love. I wish some people would know what the fuck they were talking about before they opened their mouth.
    test
  14. Dex P. LaMorte

[funny]@my signature

ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICAL
    test
  15. Gorilla Nasty

Whooooooooo! *slaps knee* ya got me there. Hey everybody look!!! I got got!!!!
    test
  16. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

do you really want to sit here and tell us that r&b's content isn't dominated by love songs? even since it's inception? ok for those 6 songs, there's 6 gazillion (no exaggeration) about love and nothing else. it'd say realistically, if you add up every single r&b song since it's creation, 96% is love songs. do you seriously want to disagree? face it, the genre's restricted.

it's impossible to say what the best written music is, come on now. songwriting is so relative.

you sure are getting killed for loving creed though lol. funny shit.
    test
  17. Gorilla Nasty

I personally don't even listen to Creed, but I pretty much do know what I'm talking about. I don't love Creed and never even liked them truthfully. But just because it's not what I like don't mean I can't give credit where it's due. If these retards would pay attention, they would see that what I said was: Creed is a good band (with numbers to back it) who's songs have actual content (which a lot of rock doesn't) and cover a wide variety of topics (which most acts don't). Not too hard to get that. But most of these morons interpreted it as saying I <333333333 Creed!!!!! Which I don't nor ever had, even at the height of their popularity (and the funny thing is I bet THEY did).

As far as love songs and what not- what else is there to talk about? Honestly, tell me what people want to hear about. I mean, there isn't an R&B song about making an omlette, and nobody would want to hear one. Most other genres don't talk about love because they talk about nothing at all. When it comes down to it, it's about sex/love/courting (any other aspect of the word love bad or good) money, politics/current events or drugs. but the word love covers a bunch of things. So yeah, things are going to either fall into those categories, or pretty much be about nothing.

I'm not saying that R&B is not dominated by love songs. I'm saying what genre isn't dominated by a certain type of song? As far as songwriting, yes I feel that GREAT(operative word) R&B is written better than any other music. With songs being written discrete enough to apply to a very wide array of situations. Ex. R. Kelly- I Believe I Can Fly, Boyz II Men - So Hard...., Stevie Wonder- Isn't She Lovely.
    test
  18. Gorilla Nasty

And I also don't think songwriting is relative. It's the same as any writing. You have to be descrptive, but not too much. you have to be able to write things people can relate to on all levels. You have to know what words to use, what feel to go for. For instance, you can't really use slang because it alienates people unless it's very popular slang. That's how you can tell good from bad songwriters. Have you ever got the felling the artist said too much? The majority of the time that's the case. Being a good songwriter is not as simple as writing words down.

it's almost like walking a tight rope.
    test
  19. Dex P. LaMorte

creed was a watered down pop act whored by the industry to write radio friendly, cookie cutter grunge songs in the waning days of the seattle sound.

the content of Creed's music was no different than what collective soul, fuel, our lady of peace or any of those shit bands marketed as post-grunge were writing.

great lyricism and songwriting is complex, abstract, and it utilizes literary devices and unorthodox song arrangements.

any fucking idiot can write what you describe as geniune songwriting.
    test
  20. Gorilla Nasty

No they can't and that explains why most music sucks. Regardless, of what you want to say, or what big word you use, what I said still holds true. It pretty much boils down to not being too much of anything while being able to know what goes with the feel of the song and what doesn't. And, no, it's definately not as easy as you think it is.

Great anything is not complex you clown. The best writers are the easiest to understand yet still be left open to interpretation.

You're pretty much saying things like "nerd rap" are written great. They ain't. Less is always more.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.