Some good, real music other than rap?

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Murder Ink, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

My friend's been griping me saying that there's other good music that isn't all rap and I've never really looked into other genres but, can anyone gimme some rock or r n b or something that is as real as rap music? She said somethin bout Nirvana but I dunno, I hear Bob Marley's good though I wouldn't mind hearing stuff by him.
    test
  2. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

FYI, rap is the worst genre from top to bottom. great stuff at the top but TERRIBLE, embarassing shit at the bottom.

lol you "heard" bob marley is good? uh, you've got some catching up to do. try red hot chili pepper's new album, old rage against the machine, and some rx bandits for some rock music..and check out "in the waiting line" by zero 7 for an amazing song, you should get all their albums actually if you end up liking that song. throw in some percy miracles' "the ladies champ" for your r&b fix.
    test
  3. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

okay^, and yes I know there's some shitty rap I just like the shit at the top as you say, and these people talk about real stuff like Nas or Common?
    test
  4. chickenwang

well there's no other genre that captures the black struggle or poverty like hip hop, so if you're looking for alternate genres than hip hop you'll have to reach into spoken word poetry like saul williams. rage against the machine is known for their social commentary while bands like red hot chili peppers and rx bandits are known for sounding dope.

zero 7 is just some great ambient music, i don't know if it will appeal to you.

sublime is a great band too. their self-titled album has some GREAT tracks on it like "doin time", "santeria", "wrong way", and other good stuff. a lot of hip hop fans appreciate sublime.
    test
  5. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

DL all by Queen
    test
  6. x - calibur

x - calibur Guest

theres alot out there

ive been into funk for awhile. if youre gonna check that, start with parliament funkadelic, they were the flagship of funk. theres alot of bands though

bob marley is a legend. he has a HUGE discography. if youve only heard "get up stand up" youre missing out on alot. 3 little birds and buffalo soldier are a couple of my favorites
    test
  7. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

well I'm pretty narrow in my music genres so anything is appreciated and I'll look into who you guys recommend
    test
  8. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

Nirvana,Element 80,Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lynyrd Skynyrd,Eagles,3 Doors Down,Nickel Back,Staind,Shine Down,3 Days Grace..

Man I could go on forever they have soooooo much out there. Its actually sad how many people miss out on other good music cause they limit themselves to just one genre.

Im glad to see your trying to be open minded about music!
    test
  9. x - calibur

x - calibur Guest

led zeppelin!

classic rock is great
    test
  10. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

grunge, punk '77, 60s psychedelia.

all I need.
    test
  11. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

can y'all gimme any songs that would make me interested in the artists though? I apprecaite the people ya left but I wouldn't know what to start downloading so...
    test
  12. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

a lot of hip-hop fans seemed to like maroon 5 when they came out
    their popular songs were harder to breathe, this love, she will be loved and sunday morning
    test
  13. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

I'm not a huge rock fan, but as a few that has stood out to me.

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane is an incredible album, you should give it a listen.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium was good release. Best songs = Dani California, Wet Sand, Strip My Mind, Slow Cheetah, Stadium Arcadium, shit, the whole first disk. If you like those, they have a very good catalogue, can't really go wrong with any of their albums or the greatest hits.
    test
  14. getOthatOwork

getOthatOwork New Member

rage against the machine man

zach de la rocha the lead singer /rapper is a real nigga who speaks on real shit

its guitars but he spits hard he almost raps peep that shit .one.
    test
  15. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

aight thanks man^
    test
  16. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

rage was garbage.
    test
  17. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

R&B conveys emotion better than any other music.

3 Doors Down, Nickleback and Staind are all steamy garbage.
    test
  18. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

yeah I do like r n b too, but I want good artists in genres other than rap, so if you can think of any rock, r n b, reggae, w/e as long as it's real and stuff drop it... how many times have I said this lol
    test
  19. chickenwang

what?

r&b is the most restricted genre of all time. it's love, falling in love, being in love, or just talking about love. that's it. no more, no less. it's emotional when you're speaking about love, but there's more to life than love. i think.
    test
  20. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

LOL, if not then PLEASE tell me which genre is the most unrestricted. And don't say Rock, because for all of their freedom, they don't talk about anything 90% of the time. So maybe Rock also has emotion, but if it's poured into nothing it ends up all over the table. Yes you will have exceptions, Creed for one was great because they covered a wide variety of topics.

I've never been "amped up" by a rock song. I have been choked up by many R&B songs just from an artist hitting a particular note at a particular time. I've gotten goosebumps from R&B, never from Rock. Maybe just that Rock don't do much for me?

Matter of fact Murder Ink, listen to some Creed. Topically one of the best bands. System of a Down really floats my boat musically though I would only listen to the first 3 albums. Red Hot Chilli Peppers I'm sure have been mentioned.

As far as R&B, you would generally have to go old school to find good stuff on a regular basis. Early 90's and back.

But like I said chikenwang, then what does?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.