So Pacman was KNOCKED OUT COLD in the LAST second?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by LungZzZ, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Well, the way to think about this and all fights is if these were fights to the death, which one of them would have died? Marquez has never lost so much as he just ran out of time. Manny was knocked unconscious to the point where people were flipping him around and it wasn't even interrupting his snoring pattern.You could've decapitated him without so much as an "ouch." I love Manny but one brutal KO deletes a few dozen close rounds and whatever the three dipshits ringside had to say about them.

I look at the Wanderlei Silva vs Ranpage Jackson rivalry in a similar manner. Rampages KO was a great technical combat sport moment but it didn't do shit to the rivalry because he got killed twice before killing Wanderlei.
    test
  2. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

That isn't how I viewed that one.
    Wandy was the known badboy back then and handled Rampage yes,
    but Rampage got revenge and it was SWEET.

Rampage is in Marquez shoes except he was finished in his losses.
    test
  3. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Well, your view is wrong lol.

closely disputed decisions and decisive finishes are not comparable at all.
    test
  4. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

It isn't wrong mak, your just tripping lately.

Don't take things to serious, they are actually very similar in the rivarly sense we were talking,
    I'm not breaking everything down to it's beginning/easiest literal form to make an explanation,
    my views are just beyond you.

Anyways I agree a finish and a decision aren't the same.
    Rampage>W.Silva too tho
    test
  5. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

I can't agree with the "fight to the death" mentality because it nullifies many great and dominant performances just because there was no KO, TKO, or (in the case of MMA) Submissions.

I mean when you take that frame of thought and apply it to someone like Mayweather, it nullfies a good amount of his wins just because he didn't finish a guy. I think every fight fan can agree that that would be wrong to do.

If you can't apply the train of thought to every single fight and have it apply fairly, then you shouldn't apply it to any fight.
    test
  6. Makabreli

Makabreli done

well, it's just your inability to debate despite always wanting to debate is kinda annoying and sometimes I have to say something.

Normally people post what their opinion is and back it all up with evidence, and it could be right or wrong but its there for the whole world to see. You just have these emotional set in stone beliefs that you put forth as fact and when challenged come with some long-winded "nuh-uhs" or as seen in this post something about your beliefs being too difficult for someone to comprehend lol. The difference between you and a troll is that trolls try to troll. What you're doing is natural.
    test
  7. Makabreli

Makabreli done

For the record, I actually picked up this school of thought reading A fighter's heart by Sam Sheridan. Good book, highly recommended.

It isn't exclusive to finishes. The reason we only have 12 rounds in boxing and referee intervention is because a guy can die from sustained damage. Actually, if you look at boxing deaths, this is what kills them. So winners of one-sided decision can be viewed the same way.

What doesn't count are close decisions, and close fights are what spawn rematches like Pacquiao-Marquez despite Pac being 3-0 in the series.

It's actually a pretty good way to look at fights, especially a rivalry.
    test
  8. Jest Chillin

Jest Chillin New Member

It still doesn't work because even though the scores were always close, Pacquiao knocked down Marquez what.. like 4 times in the first 2 fights? Possibly more? 3 of those were in the first round of the first fight. How does that fit into the "fight to the death" equation?

The sport is too nuanced for that line of thinking.
    test
  9. N A S T Y

N A S T Y Well-Known Member

The guy who photoshopped my profile pic because I disagreed with him is telling someone "they take this too serious" LOL
    test
  10. Envy

Envy Song Writer / Artist.

Tbh..
    test
  11. Makabreli

Makabreli done

All that really proved is that Marquez is a slow starter, which was already known beforehand and always true after as well. Marquez came back after the knockdowns to land more punches than Pacquiao.

There are flaws for sure. Boxers are given until the count of 10 to get back up as well as standing 8 counts. These exist to reduce deaths from prolonged punishment, yet people have comeback after knockdowns to win fights.

The second Dempsey-Tunney fight is an example of it not working perfectly. The whole thing about the long count is that Tunney had too much time to recover, not whether or not he would've actually beaten the count.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.