Smh @ white people

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Namor, Apr 29, 2013.

1. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

There is a proper way to speak every language, and way to sound like an idiot in each.

If you think we don't understand the concept of dialects, then you're just being a snobbish liberal in the face of a snobbish conservative.
    test
  2. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

The only proper way to speak English is the Queen's English.
    test
  3. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Obviously.
    test
  4. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  5. AliceHouse

Why? Because he's a comedian that says things to make a variety of points for the purpose of humoring people?

No.

You're a racist for being an uneducated narrow minded dimwitted fool.
    test
  6. Geedorah

Geedorah King

He didnt say that as a part of his comedian act.
    Seriously, do some research before posting crap like this.
    test
  7. AliceHouse

And I don't think you understand the meaning of 'argument from authority,' 'victim blaming,' and 'hyperbole' actually mean. Do you? Cosby was endorsing assimilation, which is wrong. You're using his words to endorse racism, which is worse.

Since 2004 when Bill Cosby made his famous “we can’t blame white people” speech, it occasionally makes its rounds of the internet. I have to link to the Snopes article for a full quote because the first few pages of Google were, unsurprisingly, racist assholes saying “See? We told you black people were awful!”

It is needlessly reductionist or more the result of him being an old man rather than some truth-teller about his own race. Let’s look at some of the claims, shall we?

They’re standing on the corner and they can’t speak English. I can’t even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain’t, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be… And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it’s important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can’t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

I find this remarkably amusing from a guy who has made a career on talking like a drunk man having a seizure. Yes, there is a certain type of speech that is more highly prized in many places and careers, and it’s important to learn to use it. However, that speech isn’t somehow more correct or more English. Does Jeff Foxworthy not speak English? Or Ron White? Or Larry the Fucking Cable Guy? What part of speech is “Git’r'done”, anyway?

Did he not pay attention in 2004? You don’t even have to be well spoken to be President of the United States!

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we’ve got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won’t spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

Hyperbole alert! Going to need a citation on “$500 sneakers” since the Air Jordan IIs, released in 2004, retailed around $100. But I see the point he’s trying to make. He’s suggesting that people’s priorities are out of whack.

And I would almost agree with him, except as a person with a doctorate in education he should know that inner city schools are seriously underfunded, so Hooked on Phonics, which was designed as a supplement to regular schooling, would be useless. While I’m sure that he lived in a magical time when everyone spoke the King’s English in black neighborhoods, deviating from the cultural norm in any way (which includes wearing the wrong shoes or speaking in a dialect that’s considered condescending by others in your neighborhood) is a good way to get yourself beaten up or worse. It’s very, very easy to say, “X person should just make themselves better” without recognizing that doing so too openly may actually cost them their life.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn’t know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

I don’t know, Bill. Probably working multiple jobs at minimum wage to make sure they continued to have an apartment to live in and food to eat. Also, if you’re making a point about black culture being incredibly misogynist and not encouraging men to treat women as more than sex objects that can be abandoned if they get pregnant, you’re doing it wrong.

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong?

No. It’s a sign of fashion trends. Says the guy who wears sweater vests. A sweater without arms? Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn’t that a sign of something?

Again, fashion trends. I may not like them, but there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with them. Just like men walked around without hats used to be very strange, but it’s the common trend now. Clothing changes over time.

Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn’t it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

At this point, when he gives this speech, he breaks into a rousing chorus of “What’s the Matter With Kids Today“. I get it, you’re old and people didn’t pierce themselves as much in your day. Get over it. The slut shaming is inappropriate.

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don’t know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

All of them? Really? Again, I know this is hyperbole, but it’s also kind of ridiculous. You think that they’re in jail because of a naming convention and not because of a racist legal system that is more likely to target and convict people of color?

He says a lot of other things, which I have no specific response to. But then we get to this

Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

Oh, this is about standards. It’s not that Wal-mart comes in, destroys locally owned stores that might offer better jobs, and pays low wages for backbreaking work at all hours of the day with little to no job security or room for advancement. It’s just that the people working there like getting paid shit for ridiculous amounts of work and no benefits. They’re just not motivated to go get a job as a banker, which they could easily do if somebody would just tell them that they could do better! Thanks for pointing that one out.

Now, I’m not being entirely fair here. While Bill Cosby did say all of these things, they were part of a larger speech that was given at the NAACP commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Brown v Board of Education and then this monstrosity was cobbled together out of the speech in order to make it a wide spread excoriation of everything about black people rather than a targeted speech about the problem with education in urban neighborhoods. The original isn’t much better, but at least it’s more than Old Man Yells At Cloud-style ramblings on how lazy and ignorant black people are.

However, the victim blaming and reductionism is pretty blatant here. The world is a lot more complex than people like to make it out to be, and while I think it’s important to fight destructive cultural elements, it’s equally important to properly identify them. The problem with poor, black neighborhoods is something that can be addressed by the neighborhood itself, yes, but it can’t just be about going back to shaming people more often into behaving. It has to be about fighting sexism, standing up for those who don’t conform, encouraging better, comprehensive education, and getting police officers to start doing their jobs instead of targeting minorities because they’re less likely to be able to fight back legally.
    test
  8. Geedorah

Geedorah King

How am I using his words for racism?
    Im using them so black people stop blaming everything on white people.
    test
  9. AliceHouse

You don't study history, sociology or politics, do you?
    test
  10. Put it in my Mouth

Put it in my Mouth member

:smackusure: stop it you read it, you're just mad b/c no1 read your long ass post
    test
  11. IAmBenT

IAmBenT Eat a dick, faggot

Fantastic post by Namor, i actually did read the whole thing and its very interesting coming from a white guy willing to drop the truth on ingrained white racism.

I don't have much to add, N and Alice said the most relevant stuff and pretty much crushed it.
    test
  12. Geedorah

Geedorah King

You dont answer questions, do you?
    test
  13. Put it in my Mouth

Put it in my Mouth member

^you guys are retarded as fuck

you got black dudes in here admitting that they need a white man's validation that racism exist & white people can be racist (ah duh), yet these fool hate white people :boshwtf:
    shit no wonder jook is ashamed of being black, smh

InB4TL;DRyouKnowYouDid
    test
  14. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

Do you classify people by skin colour? Racist.
    test
  15. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

before you accuse me of not reading, stop. i actually read all your posts.

i don't disagree with this.

pretty sure hinduism had the cast system way before the brits invaded india.

the origins of racism can be found in the hindu religion.

:numaan:
    test
  16. AliceHouse

You're trying to absolve white guilt by using a prominent black authority to make hyperbolic cases and victim shaming. That's racist.

You would know this if you had an education.
    test
  17. Geedorah

Geedorah King

And you are racist too.

[​IMG]
    test
  18. AliceHouse

Nope. Sorry. As always, I'm right.
    test
  19. IAmBenT

IAmBenT Eat a dick, faggot