Slavery Ended In 1942

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Crates, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Check your local listings for this PBS documentry. It's airing now.

This documentry is based on a book called Slavery By Another Name. In an interview the author said that slavery in the U.S didn't actually end until this pracitice of forced labor was ended around 1942.

test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I believe it
    test
  3. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the program. There were two methods of re-enslaving Blacks. One was through convict leasing and the other through peonage.

Convict leasing involved having prison inmates being rented from state gov'ts to companies who used them as labor. The thing with this is that many of these inmates were placed in prison on the smallest charges like not being able to prove they had a job which caused them to be charged with vagrancy.

Then with peonage this is where a person had to perform labor because they were in debt to a business or family. The business or family would find ways to keep the person in debt to them making it harder for that person to work off their debt.

The brutality involved in maintaining people as laborers in these systems was worst than slavery they point out because you could easily replace an injured or dead inmate with other inmates.
    test
  4. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Here's the interview with the author that the documentry is based on.

test
  5. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

good thing our president is black now... :scared:
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.